Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

Old Jan 1st 2010, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Wandering Hotelier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $200 fine for smoking in your car.

seems like classic nannying to me, although why they didn't go the whole hog and ban it altogether on grounds of road safety and indeed the health of adult non smokers is a bit of a mystery....
Old Jan 1st 2010, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

I can't believe anyone disagrees with this rule. Firstly driving is potentially dangerous and you have a right to ensure public safety to remain focussed at all times. Dropping a cigarette accidently within your car has great potential to cause massive problems both in and out of the car. Have some respect and care for your passengers, especially children, and follow a very simple piece of advice and a bloody good law.
Oh, and an idiot crashed into my car a year ago because she was on her mobile and was unable to turn the steering wheel at the end of the street.
However, perhaps smoking and driving on your own in the middle of the desert should be ok!!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Wandering Hotelier is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
I can't believe anyone disagrees with this rule. Firstly driving is potentially dangerous and you have a right to ensure public safety to remain focussed at all times. Dropping a cigarette accidently within your car has great potential to cause massive problems both in and out of the car. Have some respect and care for your passengers, especially children, and follow a very simple piece of advice and a bloody good law.
Oh, and an idiot crashed into my car a year ago because she was on her mobile and was unable to turn the steering wheel at the end of the street.
However, perhaps smoking and driving on your own in the middle of the desert should be ok!!
I dont think anyone really disagrees with the rule, more like the need for a rule in the first place....seems like a rule because (hopefully) a minority, think it is ok to smoke in a car with their kids...
Old Jan 1st 2010, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That is a ludicrous comparison, particularly the child abuse point and probably does not even warrant a repsonse. I am shocked, disgusted and deeply offended by your insinuation that because somebody might think people should be able to smoke (a legal activity) in their own home that they also think it would be ok to abuse children.

:curse:
Just because it's legal does not make it right. In my opinion smoking in the car with your children is child abuse. It is obvious you have completely missed the point of the comment you refer to.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
Just because it's legal does not make it right. In my opinion smoking in the car with your children is child abuse. It is obvious you have completely missed the point of the comment you refer to.
No it is not obvious I have completely missed the point. To my argument that perhaps the government should not legislate for what people do in their own homes and cars, Flyaway quite clearly made a counter argument based upon child abuse in the home which I found an inappropriate comparison and Flyaway has apologised for. So don't know what your problem is but perhaps you should read the thread more carefully.

You have certainly missed my point anyway. I think it is wrong to subject anyone else to cigarette smoke. I think it is disgraceful for parents to subject their children to cigarette smoke. My point is a wider one as to whether the government should legislate for what people do in their own cars / homes. Where would it end? Chips are only allowed once a week? No fizzy pop on a school night? How would these in the car / home rules be enforced? What happens to people who break them? This is my point.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jan 1st 2010 at 3:46 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

No it is not obvious I have completely missed the point. Flyaway quite clearly made a comparison to child abuse in the home but has since apologised so don't know what your problem is. Perhaps you should read the thread more carefully.

You have certianly missed my point. I think it is wrong to subject anyone else to cigarette smoke. I think it is disgraceful for parents to subject their children to cigarette smoke. My point is a wider one as to whether the government should legislate for what people do in their own cars / homes. (When the activity itself is perfectly legal that is, before we start a conversation about is it ok to batter women and children in the home) rolleyes:
Well apparently the law is not telling you what you can and can't do in your own home or car, it is only telling you what you can't do in your car WHEN YOUR CHILDREN ARE PRESENT. Obviously some people don't care about the state of their childrens health/lungs and have no intention of changing their habbits so sometimes the law has to step in and protect those children. I don't have a problem with that.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

How would these in the car / home rules be enforced? What happens to people who break them? This is my point.
In an answer to that specific point, probably like in the UK, these laws are almost impossible to police and if caught usually little or nothing happens, the point is at least I think, is to make people think about what they are doing and at least in the eyes of others it would be instantly unacceptable to do these things, a prosecution is only usually brought in the most extreme of cases, at least that what happens in the UK.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=spalen;8210682]Did I say that was correct? Nope didnt think so.

What I said I agreed to - and dont expect anyone can argue against, is that a)
some adults are morons and need state intervention because they are too dumb to make the right choices
Just out of interest, who do you think should be making that call... your local politician?!
and b) smoking in a car with kids has no positive upside to it and no major downside to making it illegal.

Hey nice tangent, pick another , then we can go round in circles
What you said was "its protecting children from moron parents".

Great.... and where does that stop then?. I used the example of taking kids away from parents because they are too fat, which has already happened, and you see that as going off on a tangent.
Why?. Too my eyes its exactly the same. The State deciding you are a 'bad parent' because you are not following what the State determines is 'good practise'.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Jan 1st 2010 at 7:09 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's about time!! People that smoke around their children disgust me, especialy when the children are unable to get away and are in a confined space like a car!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

To me its common sense not to smoke in the car with kids onboard,not to drive whilst eating my burger/pot noodle/bowl of cereal....its common sense to me not to stop on a school crossing...its common sense to me not to drink and drive...etc
I'm happy to have a "Nanny State" issuing rules and regs for all those idiots who have had a lobotomy and HAVE NO COMMON SENSE !!!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Sounds extreme, but at some point, probably yes(!) If they are being fed junk then society suffers. Feeding them decent food and ensuring they exercise is one of the things you can give them (apart from love and an education)!
The absolute worse thing you can do for your kids health is be poor.

So I have an idea. Why don't we get the State to take kids off poor people. We can tell the kids that their parents died... and tell the parents nothing about where the kids went. It would be ideal if we could send the kids to the other side of the world to live with their new, 'better' parents.

Sound like a plan?.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The absolute worse thing you can do for your kids health is be poor.

So I have an idea. Why don't we get the State to take kids off poor people. We can tell the kids that their parents died... and tell the parents nothing about where the kids went. It would be ideal if we could send the kids to the other side of the world to live with their new, 'better' parents.

Sound like a plan?.
I never said anything about being poor - just feeding them decent food and giving them a chance in the home environment! Perhaps it is one of the things you can control. I'm not sure good food is always expensive.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The Bloke
You hear so much about Qld being the nanny state, so what's one more thing.

I think it may have something to do with various lobby groups influencing policy.
Unfortunately, Queensland is behind the times, even on this subject ...

17 June 2009
Ban smoking in cars with children

Let's follow the others who seem to have done it successfully - California, South Australia and Cyprus.
This would be a piece of progressive legislation and we would quickly realise the benefits

Those of us in the medical profession, who see the results of passive smoking first hand, need to be ready to lead and make a convincing case.
Only then can we hope that necessary measures are viewed not as the 'nanny state' but as 'common sense'.

Professor Terence Stephenson
President, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, London
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8079357.stm

Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

I'm not sure good food is always expensive.
I am pretty sure it isn't, when compared to many of these fast food prices...

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:09 am
Account Closed

I never said anything about being poor - just feeding them decent food and giving them a chance in the home environment! Perhaps it is one of the things you can control. I'm not sure good food is always expensive.
That's not really the point though. Health campaigners will be using statistics to push through laws like these and statistically the worse thing you can be for your health is poor. So logically it must follow that we should be taking kids off poor people because it will be better for their health. Yes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.