Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

$200 fine for smoking in your car.

Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:20 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $200 fine for smoking in your car.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Agreed. But I presume they did not bring the law in because people were not paying attention to the road. If they did, then fair enough.

I think all smoking should be done outside personally. Filthy, disgusting, unsociable habit. I could not LOATHE smoking any more than I do. But, I just have these doubts about extending legislation to what people do in their private spaces.
Personally, i do not think it will work either. Yes, they might have a blitz every now and again, but it won't stamp it out (no pun intended), just like banning the use of mobiles. It is only designed to give the public appearance (like most stuff the gov't does) of the gov't doing something for the lobby groups like "Quit", Heart Foundation etc.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum has always been a chain smoker (until a month ago when she gave up just like that, well done mum).

Anyway, it was bad enough at home, but my whole childhood was one big car sickness journey. The only time I get travel sick now..... in the car of a smoker..... If I could have been spared that feeling every car journey my childhood would have been WAY better.

And of course, my Mum doesn't drive, it was always my Dad driving, so she wouldn't even have had to argue with the concentrating on the road argument...
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
My Mum has always been a chain smoker (until a month ago when she gave up just like that, well done mum).

Anyway, it was bad enough at home, but my whole childhood was one big car sickness journey. The only time I get travel sick now..... in the car of a smoker..... If I could have been spared that feeling every car journey my childhood would have been WAY better.

And of course, my Mum doesn't drive, it was always my Dad driving, so she wouldn't even have had to argue with the concentrating on the road argument...
That sounds exactly like my childhood - except both my parents smoked!

When I was 13 I had to have a chest xray and was told I had shadows on my lungs probably from passive smoking. Did my parents quit?? No, of course not. They carried on until they both died of smoking related disease. I would be quite happy for the law to have saved their lives by interfering with what they did in their own home.

BTW the there is a pretty comprehensive list of things the Government already interferes with in your own home... just try installing a swimming pool... watering your garden in a drought period... or the ever popular taking more than one wife... or how about child abuse... all these can be done in your own home.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
If I could have been spared that feeling every car journey my childhood would have been WAY better.
It shouldn't take unenforceable state wide legislation to spare you that feeling ... perhaps just some consideration and responsibility from your parents. For the state to asssume responsibility is classic nannying.

Anyway if a car sick child is not going to deter parents from smoking then I doubt the legislation will either.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away

BTW the there is a pretty comprehensive list of things the Government already interferes with in your own home... just try installing a swimming pool... watering your garden in a drought period... or the ever popular taking more than one wife... or how about child abuse... all these can be done in your own home.
That is a ludicrous comparison, particularly the child abuse point and probably does not even warrant a repsonse. I am shocked, disgusted and deeply offended by your insinuation that because somebody might think people should be able to smoke (a legal activity) in their own home that they also think it would be ok to abuse children.

:curse:
Old Jan 1st 2010, 9:58 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It should have absolutely nothing to do with the State what I do in my car. Unless I am causing immediate physical harm to somebody, the State should mind its own bloody business.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
That is a ludicrous comparison, particularly the child abuse point and probably does not even warrant a repsonse. I am shocked, disgusted and deeply offended by your insinuation that because somebody might think people should be able to smoke (a legal activity) in their own home that they also think it would be ok to abuse children.

:curse:
Sorry hun, I did not intend to insinuate that all, just point out that many activities are illegal in the home.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:27 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I read the other day - "The reason we have a nanny state is because so many adults act like children".

This is precisely a case in point - if you are stupid , ignorant, enough to smoke in a car with children then you need to be told that its not acceptable and this is why we have laws.

Anyone who thinks this is 'wrong' should start a lobby to allow people to smoke in cars with kids in them - please start a petition and see how many people sign.

Its not a "nanny state" - its protecting children from moron parents. And no- not everyone will get caught just like not everyone gets caught for putting kids in a car without seatbelts - but it is making it clear that it is socially unacceptable by doing so and making people realise it is wrong it will have a positive impact over time.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spalen
I read the other day - "The reason we have a nanny state is because so many adults act like children".

This is precisely a case in point - if you are stupid , ignorant, enough to smoke in a car with children then you need to be told that its not acceptable and this is why we have laws.

Anyone who thinks this is 'wrong' should start a lobby to allow people to smoke in cars with kids in them - please start a petition and see how many people sign.

Its not a "nanny state" - its protecting children from moron parents. And no- not everyone will get caught just like not everyone gets caught for putting kids in a car without seatbelts - but it is making it clear that it is socially unacceptable by doing so and making people realise it is wrong it will have a positive impact over time.
Your kids look like they are carrying a few pounds too me... if they get a bit too heavy I think the State should come along and take them off you to 'protect them'. I'm sure you will be fine with that as it will be in your kids best interest. Right?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Your kids look like they are carrying a few pounds too me... if they get a bit too heavy I think the State should come along and take them off you to 'protect them'. I'm sure you will be fine with that as it will be in your kids best interest. Right?
A $200 fine might work better

Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A $200 fine might work better
It's the principle that matters.

At what point does the State stop deciding it knows better than its citizens... and who said they know better anyway?
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
just try installing a swimming pool... watering your garden in a drought period...
Fair enough. There is not enough water!

Sounds extreme, but at some point, probably yes(!) If they are being fed junk then society suffers. Feeding them decent food and ensuring they exercise is one of the things you can give them (apart from love and an education)!
Old Jan 1st 2010, 12:21 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In Queensland, from today, 1st January 2010, it is illegal to smoke in a car whilst children are in that car.

It has been decided that children have rights, and the police will enforce those rights on their behalf.

Smoke with a child in the car and you may be fined $200.

http://www.ausinfo101.com/smoking-in-cars
Think it gas mote to do with why should you get fined for mobile phone use or speeding but smoking remains a holy Grail , let the smokers who are distracted by their cigarettes and lack of full hand movement get fined along with the rest of us.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Think it gas mote to do with why should you get fined for mobile phone use or speeding but smoking remains a holy Grail , let the smokers who are distracted by their cigarettes and lack of full hand movement get fined along with the rest of us.
If smoking was as distracting as using a mobile phone, then I'm sure it would have been banned ages ago.

I can't recall hearing or reading about any serious accidents or fatalities caused by someone smoking while driving. I'm sure it has happened but is so rare as to be insignificant.

There are plenty of people who don't smoke while driving that don't even know how to use their indicators and are far more dangerous.

I'm not condoning driving and smoking, but just trying to put things into perspective.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jan 1st 2010 at 1:21 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 1:14 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Did I say that was correct? Nope didnt think so.

What I said I agreed to - and dont expect anyone can argue against, is that a) some adults are morons and need state intervention because they are too dumb to make the right choices , and b) smoking in a car with kids has no positive upside to it and no major downside to making it illegal.

Hey nice tangent, pick another , then we can go round in circles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.