Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$20,000 - How far?

$20,000 - How far?

Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:28 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default $20,000 - How far?

How far could $20,000 last a family of 4 from arrival? We don't have jobs yet so will be looking when we land.

Will this last a couple of months?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:43 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $20,000 - How far?

Originally Posted by coolshadows
How far could $20,000 last a family of 4 from arrival? We don't have jobs yet so will be looking when we land.

How long is a piece of string?

Presume you will be renting so it depends on lots of variables like
1. Where you will be living / where you want to rent
2. Travel requirements
3. What kind of food you eat
4. Will you bring household goods with you or will you be starting again?

Etc, etc, etc

It might be worth you having a search using the search button [see above] and if you key in things like 'cost of living" or "living expenses" etc then there will probably be lots of suggestons/comments on there. Also maybe take a look at real estate rentals and shopping sites etc to get a *feel* for the cost of living.

Good luck with the move mate
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:44 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

are you shipping over furniture and household items, etc?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Hi guys
$20k at a wild guess could last at least 3 months?
Bearing in mind I have never been, so excuse the guess if far out!
Have you no jobs lined up at all?
And what happens if you run out if money? More stashed away?
Your very brave and I take my hat off too you guys

ps $20k ain't a bad sum to take either,fair play
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

As Sonlyme says, very much depends on what you need to do with that money!
Are you going to need a car straight off for example as second hand cars not cheap over here. Will you have school fees, childcare costs, uniform, books etc etc
People come over with less but really will depend on how soon you get work as to how you will manage.
Lots of luck
Old Jul 6th 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future

Hi,
We are going over to Perth at the end of the year with the same amount.
However we will be staying with friends for as long as we like (until we find a rental anyway) our daughter is only 1 so no school expenses. the only big expense will be buying a car which will prob take half that up. the mrs will have work straight away (hopefully) & I will look for work on arrival. This we feel was the bare minimum we would need but we are in the nice situation of being able to take more if we need it.

good luck I hope you find work ok

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2009, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

LouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really niceLouB is just really nice

Hi,
What jobs are you looking for? Lots for nurses for e.g and then you would be earning very soon after arrival.
Good luck to you all and hope it goes well :fingerscrossed
Lou
Old Jul 6th 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future

Hi Lou,

My wife is a senior sister in critical outreach team, weve been told we shouldnt have a prob finding her work as she has many years experience and is very qualified. she doesnt want to start looking for work just yet though, she wants to wait for our Visa to come through which should be in the next couple of weeks.

Ian
Old Jul 6th 2009, 2:59 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Hi all, thanks for the posts.

I'm a .Net software developer and the wife works with adults and children will special needs (though she is a qualified social worker).

We have two kids, 3 and 2. We are shipping stuff over, so won't need to start from scratch. We have also taken advantage of the 'on arrival service' with the South Australia goverment (rent is $200 per wk), but i think we'll be looking for somewhere more homely (and closer to Adelaide) soon after we arrive.

I'm basically wondering if $20,000 is a good figure, or whether I should transfer more money (the rest is currently tied up in a savings account here, and i'm wondering if it's better to see if the exchange rate improves over time).

As the wife's work is less dependent on the economy, and my work being 'in demand', I'm hoping one of us will find work soon. The major expenses to me are rent, child care and food. Of course we will be looking for a 'cheap' little second hand car to get us around.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, thanks for the posts.

I'm a .Net software developer and the wife works with adults and children will special needs (though she is a qualified social worker).

We have two kids, 3 and 2. We are shipping stuff over, so won't need to start from scratch. We have also taken advantage of the 'on arrival service' with the South Australia goverment (rent is $200 per wk), but i think we'll be looking for somewhere more homely (and closer to Adelaide) soon after we arrive.

I'm basically wondering if $20,000 is a good figure, or whether I should transfer more money (the rest is currently tied up in a savings account here, and i'm wondering if it's better to see if the exchange rate improves over time).

As the wife's work is less dependent on the economy, and my work being 'in demand', I'm hoping one of us will find work soon. The major expenses to me are rent, child care and food. Of course we will be looking for a 'cheap' little second hand car to get us around.
You had me worried there for a moment I thought $20,000 with a family what a ( well less said) but sounds now that you are looking after you money only using what you need & letting the rest build well done & good luck.