Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$150k / year = 'rich'?

View Poll Results: Do you think a household income of $150k makes you 'rich'?
Damn straight
34.03%
Unlikely
65.97%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

$150k / year = 'rich'?

Old May 18th 2008, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $150k / year = 'rich'?

Originally Posted by wmoore
But surely you get a nice lump back after July for paying those fees up front?

I agree - fair and tax rarely go together.
Wow do you get a tax rebate for paying school fees now?
Old May 18th 2008, 9:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dpande
sorry- being a bit thick- why should it make a difference whether the total income is from one or both earners?

We will initially be on just my income- I presume single earner families pay more tax to take account of the fact that they don't pay for child care and such like?.......but even so, does that turn the same income from being classed as 'rich' to 'not rich'?

BTW in GBP that's 72K per year before tax- that's almost double what our total income is here in the UK and we are reasonably comfortable now. I think a lot of it is about getting used to a certain level of income and then deciding you need more and more.
Tax, dear <g>.

Total tax on two earners will be lower since each gets the allowance and each goes through the tax bands. A single earner has one allowance and quickly passes each band to the top rate.
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Wow do you get a tax rebate for paying school fees now?
I have no idea. I assumed you did. You should, surely?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think we're in tune.

As for comfortable, I would put that somewhere around $100k
Single or double income...

One of my kids came home wanting to go on a school trip to Italy next year based around Music and language, (she is probably the best violinist in her school and great at Italian so it's going to be very difficult to say no).... cost 6.5 k

I dont think 100k is exactly comfortable when you've got kids.

The bloody fees at our supposed state school are ridiculous
Old May 18th 2008, 9:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dpande
sorry- being a bit thick- why should it make a difference whether the total income is from one or both earners?
Tax, dear <g>.

Total tax on two earners will be lower since each gets the allowance and each goes through the tax bands. A single earner has one allowance and quickly passes each band to the top rate.
Old May 18th 2008, 9:59 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: $150k / year = 'rich'?

During the recent budget, the Labor party stated that household's earning $150k were rich. What do you think? I'd loving to be seeing that kind of money coming into our bank account but I wouldn't really consider somebody earning that to be 'rich'
I would.

The ABC's budget analysis contained an interview with a couple earning a joint income $120k ("The Aldermans"). Their mortgage was $750k. They have one child, and one on the way. They still get the baby bonus, and they'll be better off under this budget.

Now, speaking personally, I think that a $750k mortgage on $120k p.a. is sheer madness. But if that's what you can achieve on $120k, then $150k = "rich" in my book. Particularly if it's for a childless couple or a single earner.

You don't often read about the starving millions of Mosman Park.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:00 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One of my kids came home wanting to go on a school trip to Italy next year based around Music and language, (she is probably the best violinist in her school and great at Italian so it's going to be very difficult to say no).... cost 6.5 k
It wouldn't be that difficult.

"Do you want to go on the trip? OK get a job, then we'll talk about it"
Old May 18th 2008, 10:05 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I would.

The ABC's budget analysis contained an interview with a couple earning a joint income $120k ("The Aldermans"). Their mortgage was $750k. They have one child, and one on the way. They still get the baby bonus, and they'll be better off under this budget.

Now, speaking personally, I think that a $750k mortgage on $120k p.a. is sheer madness. But if that's what you can achieve on $120k, then $150k = "rich" in my book. Particularly if it's for a childless couple or a single earner.

You don't often read about the starving millions of Mosman Park.
I could probably go and get a $750k mortgage .. actually probably not .. I could go and get a $650k mortgage but does that make me rich? Far from it, broke more like.

I completely disagree that the size of your mortgage decides whether you are rich or not.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:10 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

$150k PA is not rich. It's not poor but it is by no means rich.

As for someone on a $750k mortgage on that salary. They must have had a big down payment as $120k PA salary would not pay for the mortgage plus bills plus food.

The other thing is on this salary you either have to take out private healthcare or pay extra Tax levy at the end of the year if you are with Medicare.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

I could probably go and get a $750k mortgage .. actually probably not .. I could go and get a $650k mortgage but does that make me rich? Far from it, broke more like.
I agree. Nevertheless, these people can afford it. They are not struggling, and they believe they'll be better off under the latest budget.

You might not be able to handle a huge mortgage, but they can. Being rich is not just about the amount of money coming in; it's also about your ability to maintain your chosen lifestyle.

I completely disagree that the size of your mortgage decides whether you are rich or not.
That's not what I said.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:19 am
What's happening dudes?

I agree. Nevertheless, these people can afford it. They are not struggling, and they believe they'll be better off under the latest budget.

You might not be able to handle a huge mortgage, but they can. Being rich is not just about the amount of money coming in; it's also about your ability to maintain your chosen lifestyle.

That's not what I said.
I went through a spell in the UK where I was loaned up to the gills but managed to maintain my lifestyle (just about). I certainly didn't feel in any way rich. Surely being rich involves having spare cash after the bills have gone out? I doubt the Aldermans have much of that.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:32 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by NedKelly
I understand that the number of working individuals earning over $150,000 is about 2%. You will probably find that these 2% of earners contribute something like 30% to the tax take. In reality, very few people will be affected, so why be so mean and do it. The administration of it will probably cost more than it will save the taxpayer.
I am willing to bet that those 2% contribute a lot less than 30% to the tax rate.

It is well known that the richer you are, the easier it is to minimise your tax. Historically, the highest earners have always paid ridiculously low amounts of tax because they have access to tax minimisation schemes from which the average punter is excluded by default.

Warren Buffett, the third-richest man in the world, has criticised the US tax system for allowing him to pay a lower rate than his secretary and his cleaner.

Speaking at a $4,600-a-seat fundraiser in New York for Senator Hillary Clinton, Mr Buffett, who is worth an estimated $52 billion (£26 billion), said: “The 400 of us [here] pay a lower part of our income in taxes than our receptionists do, or our cleaning ladies, for that matter.

If you’re in the luckiest 1 per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
Source.

And some of them pay virtually no tax at all - like this guy.

This is the politics of envy that is typical of labor governments. This does nothing to promote social cohesion, that's complete bolox.
How is it "the politics of envy"? The $150k+ earners can pay their own way; why are they begging for welfare handouts? Seems to me that the only "envy" here is from the high earners towards the low earners. "I want the baby bonus too! I want government handouts AND a premium income that keeps me within the top 2%!"

If that's not envy, what is?

All it does is take away the incentive to work and improve ones lot in lot in life.
I guess that explains why the unemployment rate is so high.

Oh wait...
Old May 18th 2008, 10:42 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: $150k / year = 'rich'?

I went through a spell in the UK where I was loaned up to the gills but managed to maintain my lifestyle (just about). I certainly didn't feel in any way rich.
Then you weren't truly living within your means.

Surely being rich involves having spare cash after the bills have gone out?
Yes, absolutely. Otherwise it's not sustainable.

I doubt the Aldermans have much of that.
They seem happy enough, and they know they'll be even better off under this budget. I didn't hear any complaints, did you? Fair play to the Aldermans for managing their money, that's what I say.

I rate them higher than these guys.
Old May 18th 2008, 10:58 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Nevertheless, these people can afford it. They are not struggling, and they believe they'll be better off under the latest budget.
You have got to be kidding

Kevin Rudd [Milky Bar Kid] is nowhere to be seen now he's in power. One thing you can say about Howard, he may have been old school but at least he kept things in order and stood up to be counted. We don't see our Kevin for dust now he's in power. I suppose he'd be embarrassed by the shit state the country is in now he's in charge. Of course, if we perpetuate the blame culture, lets put it down to a global downturn

Petrol, food prices and interest rates have all gone up and will continue to do so. The workforce is about to witness union scare mongering like not seen in years which in turn will have a knock on effect in terms of job losses, or certainly not increases. Although this will of course be hidden by useless Government data still bleating on <5% are unemployed. Unions are increasingly using scare tactics which are fairly well substantiated due to lack of managements ability to understand H&S standards, think smart, work smart and act smart and the Government will continue to smokescreen by focussing on issues fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, like creating "tall poppy" bollocks about people being rich when they earn $150k a year.I'm not saying $150k is poor, but it sure aint rich either

Yeh sure.These "rich" $150 grand a year folks are as happy as pigs in shit.The future looks rosey.

They're luvvin it
Old May 18th 2008, 11:03 am
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
You have got to be kidding
Don't talk to me, talk to the Aldermans. It's not my fight.

Kevin Rudd [Milky Bar Kid] is nowhere to be seen now he's in power. One thing you can say about Howard, he may have been old school but at least he kept things in order and stood up to be counted. We don't see our Kevin for dust now he's in power. I suppose he'd be embarrassed by the shit state the country is in now he's in charge. Of course, if we perpetuate the blame culture, lets put it down to a global downturn

Petrol, food prices and interest rates have all gone up and will continue to do so. The workforce is about to witness union scare mongering like not seen in years which in turn will have a knock on effect in terms of job losses, or certainly not increases. Although this will of course be hidden by useless Government data still bleating on <5% are unemployed. Unions are increasingly using scare tactics which are fairly well substantiated due to lack of managements ability to understand H&S standards, think smart, work smart and act smart and the Government will continue to smokescreen by focussing on issues fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, like creating "tall poppy" bollocks about people being rich when they earn $150k a year.I'm not saying $150k is poor, but it sure aint rich either
Speaking personally, I would have voted for Howard in the last election. But that's a story for another time, and I'm not here to trade political rants. Save it for your local RSL Club.

Yeh sure.These "rich" $150 grand a year folks are as happy as pigs in shit.The future looks rosey.

They're luvvin it
The Aldermans aren't on $150k a year. They're on $120k a year. And how have the $150k a year people been disadvantaged? Not in any way that I can see. Losing the baby bonus? No big deal.

I just can't manage to squeeze out the tears for those top 2% earners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.