Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$130/hr for CAD monkeys!

$130/hr for CAD monkeys!

Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all
Default Re: $130/hr for CAD monkeys!

We have just emigrated to Canberra and I scored a job working as a CAD monkey for a civil/structural design company, before Oz I was a glazing facade drafty/proj manager for about 12 years and I have to agree with the word monkey because this is what I have now become

Nice company though and I figure I need the engineering experience to progress to higher things. After my 2 year sponsorship agreement (about 2 months in atm) with the ACT gov maybe we will move up the coast and find something a little better then the $50k Im earning now, but at the minute were stuck here and a foot in the door is always good.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:33 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A friend of mine did this. He was in a dead-end job (building maintenance - no trade qualifications) and going nowhere and decided to change careers. So, at 36 with a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage he quit his job and enrolled in TAFE for a year to study structural design. It was extremely tough for them but he managed to work part-time and got through his course. At the beginning of this year he got a traineeship with an engineering consultancy at about $45k plus loads of overtime. He had no problem getting a trainee position and actually turned several down. Good luck to him. He's worked hard to do this and within a few years he will be getting $150k+.

It can be done.
This is very inspiring !

I'm planning on doing a CAD TAFE course in the evenings next near...I already have a City & Guilds in AutoCAD and advanced GNVQ in architecture, so hopefully I can get taken on as a trainee once I've done TAFE. Sweet.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

ketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really nice

So AutoCAD will do, sounds great for highway engineers.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 11:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver1982
This is very inspiring !

I'm planning on doing a CAD TAFE course in the evenings next near...I already have a City & Guilds in AutoCAD and advanced GNVQ in architecture, so hopefully I can get taken on as a trainee once I've done TAFE. Sweet.
I would say that in WA or Qld that you will be snapped up.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

If only I was going to Brisbane!!!

I have 8 years AutoCAD experience, although only have experience on UK residential, so probably wouldn't be considered.

Sounds good though. Someone apply, they may even relocate you from the UK lol.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

In Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really nice

$135/hr is a nice rate, I would be setting up my best milking stool for that one. Though for that kind of money I reckon you would be expected to be churning out as serious amount of work per day.

I'm a Mech Engineer and heading to Brisbane next year, I am keeping my fingers crossed that all this infrastructure funding goes as per forecast.

If so it will mean Happy Days for a lot of us.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Each to their own. I don't do CAD but I think half the population stares at a screen all day - only some people get paid more than others to do it! A real designer will only be spending half his time doing CAD though. The other half will be spent on site, sketching, writing reports etc.
Agreed.

I did a course on AutoCAD 8 years ago and never used it. I got a dodgy copy at the end of the course too. As it was only me on the course the teachers went faster and taught me bits of the other courses. Never used it!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

OH is a CAD designer (catia/UG) mostly aerospace/automotive and trains with a good solid engineering background. He'd love to switch to infrastructure/civil but not sure if they'll want experience in that area

I have just got the bumf for our local TAFE to do cad drafting Cert III. From there I hope to find a local firm to use me as a trainee. OH will still be supporting us so money isn't that crucial to start with.

Do you guys reckon I stand a monkey's chance in hell seeing as I have no engineering background at all ? Just willingness and being pretty quick on the uptake and this course hopefully.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 5:15 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
Do you guys reckon I stand a monkey's chance in hell seeing as I have no engineering background at all ? Just willingness and being pretty quick on the uptake and this course hopefully.
You do. Read my earlier post. I have 5 trainees working for me who had no previous experience.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:03 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

You do. Read my earlier post. I have 5 trainees working for me who had no previous experience.
good on you mate,is it you i have seen driving round here in that beautifull red cobra....
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by aston man
good on you mate,is it you i have seen driving round here in that beautifull red cobra....
I know the one you mean but it ain't me unfortunately!

How's things anyway?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:33 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

I know the one you mean but it ain't me unfortunately!

How's things anyway?
brilliant mate,you know what its like up here,lottery win..

have a great weekend..

sorry to hijack your thread ,just wanted to say hello..
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

AndyP10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a right doddle, but I posted a thread yesterday asking for advice in this line because I've been finding it anything but...
Maybe it's because I want to move from the Uk to the Cairns area? I've been a CAD Monkey in the construction industry for years and have lots of experience, but having turned 40 I seem to just fall into the 'reserve pool' in terms of points for a 175 visa. So... looking at the employer sponsored route, but this seems to be a high hurdle. Does anyone have any advice on how to maximise the chances of getting noticed or finding firms which are receptive to employer sponsorship?
Or are 40 year old CAD Monkeys about as sought after as cane toads up there?
Cheers.

Last edited by AndyP10; Oct 14th 2008 at 2:04 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AndyP10
Sounds like a right doddle, but I posted a thread yesterday asking for advice in this line because I've been finding it anything but...
Maybe it's because I want to move from the Uk to the Cairns area? I've been a CAD Monkey in the construction industry for years and have lots of experience, but having turned 40 I seem to just fall into the 'reserve pool' in terms of points for a 175 visa. So... looking at the employer sponsored route, but this seems to be a high hurdle. Does anyone have any advice on how to maximise the chances of getting noticed or finding firms which are receptive to employer sponsorship?
Cheers.
There's plenty of 40 yr old+ working in CAD, your problem is wanting to move to Cairns. There's not much of a construction industry up there, most jobs in Qland are run from Brisbane or site based but that's usually mining.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by AndyP10
Cheers.
GHD, a large Australian engineering consultancy, have an office in Cairns. I would imagine that they were busy up there - they certainly are in Perth. They are well known in Australia for offering 457 employment. They are not the best payers though - which kind of explains their love of 457s.

Not the best option but at least it would get you into Cairns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.