Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$110k...Is this enough ? !

$110k...Is this enough ? !

Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice
Default Re: $110k...Is this enough ? !

Nice tips Wayne...will be checking on this one !
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by colonel
Nice tips Wayne...will be checking on this one !
Can even disperse to your kids at any age - $3000 tax free each (until they become employed, then you use their tax bracket)

One thing to be careful of, if you are dispersing to family members, they are legally entitled to the money. So get your accountant to do up a letter that they sign which says they are gifting the money back to you.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Can even disperse to your kids at any age - $3000 tax free each (until they become employed, then you use their tax bracket)

One thing to be careful of, if you are dispersing to family members, they are legally entitled to the money. So get your accountant to do up a letter that they sign which says they are gifting the money back to you.
I am getting myself a tax accountant! I didn't know you could do that.

So, could my OH have given me up to $3000/year over the last 5 years I've spent at home looking after the kids? And thus reduced his taxes?

Actually, I'm not sure I want an answer now it's too late and I'm back at work next week
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:58 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me guess.. you have to be self employed to be able to do it?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:22 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

OOOH this has me intrigued now as some of the people at my hubbies work do this, but when my hubby asked about it, it was all a bit hush, hush, so we didn't know if it was something legal...... So if I don't work and my hubby does, he can give me and his child $3k a year each and therefore get $6k tax free exemption??? does he have to pay the money into a trust account lump sum? I have never seen it asked on a tax return form though?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Meaning once you set up a family trust you can disperse money to non working family members tax free? Can you do that without family trust?
Old Jan 12th 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by laven
Meaning once you set up a family trust you can disperse money to non working family members tax free? Can you do that without family trust?
Nope ... only through a trust. But there are loads of rules to set up a trust, so no-one get too excited.

I have one though, works great. I give half my income to my non-working OH and $6k to my kids! Then there are nieces and nephews, inlaws, parents .....

Note it has to be a discretionary family trust
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
OOOH this has me intrigued now as some of the people at my hubbies work do this, but when my hubby asked about it, it was all a bit hush, hush, so we didn't know if it was something legal...... So if I don't work and my hubby does, he can give me and his child $3k a year each and therefore get $6k tax free exemption??? does he have to pay the money into a trust account lump sum? I have never seen it asked on a tax return form though?
He can give you as much as he wants, the kids get $3k each while they're not working.

You have a bank account for the trust (for simplicity), all money goes in there, but you can take it out as you please. It's not until tax return time that the distrubution gets decided
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Your trust will have an ABN, it doesn't work if you're just on salary / wages. But if your company is flexible, they may help out!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I am getting myself a tax accountant! I didn't know you could do that.

So, could my OH have given me up to $3000/year over the last 5 years I've spent at home looking after the kids? And thus reduced his taxes?

Actually, I'm not sure I want an answer now it's too late and I'm back at work next week
Ummmmmmm depending on the situation, he may have been able to give you as much as he likes. Only kids are limited to the $3k

Sorry
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Ummmmmmm depending on the situation, he may have been able to give you as much as he likes. Only kids are limited to the $3k

Sorry
Also .... please check and get advice from your accountant, I'm not a tax accountant and am just sharing a possible opening :-)
Old Jan 12th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry
I knew I wouldn't like the answer
Thanks though! Might still get a tax accountant on the case
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

Agree seems to be something for self employed to consider. Can't see how this would apply to the average employed person.

http://www.taxlawyers.com.au/Manuals/FamilyTrusts.aspx
http://www.cleardocs.com/extra-family-trust.html#1
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope ... only through a trust. But there are loads of rules to set up a trust, so no-one get too excited.

I have one though, works great. I give half my income to my non-working OH and $6k to my kids! Then there are nieces and nephews, inlaws, parents .....

Note it has to be a discretionary family trust
thanks.. so.. trust is a really good idea when your salary is really higher then 139k (or how much aus govt considers high income, lets say 139k)

Do I understand correctly if you earn , say , 277, with a family trust you can basically pay tax like not a high income earner whats the catch??))
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laven
thanks.. so.. trust is a really good idea when your salary is really higher then 139k (or how much aus govt considers high income, lets say 139k)

Do I understand correctly if you earn , say , 277, with a family trust you can basically pay tax like not a high income earner whats the catch??))
We were thinking of doing this. The amount I was going to disperse to the missus reflected an amount that wasn't taking the piss. It was something like 30k.

Real (one) point of doing this is to get below a tax bracket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.