Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$100,000 salary in Melbourne

$100,000 salary in Melbourne

Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $100,000 salary in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Grayling
I will give it a go.

I usually brew from grain and basic materials ie. pale malt and hops but may start off with kits to experiment with the temperatures.

It is the mashing and sparging of the wort which uses most of the water.

I like the green coopers so will try it

G
It's seemingly the one of choice for many a home brewer starting out! The old sweats like you soon pick it up.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Green Coppers would be Coopers Pale Ale wouldnt it ?

Do people think that a lifestyle at 50,000 PA pounds in London would be a good one ?

Say on the rental market as well..... or with 220,000..... opps make that 200,000 (lol there goes the exchange rate pounds) to invest in property ?

RE the kids Aspect. I've been allocating 200 bucks per week in extra cirrcular activities all year, and it just about covers the cost for our two. Thats excluding any normal school expenses. Hmmm I havent mentioned the Orthodontist in the thread yet. I'm sure we are getting conned by those buggers.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I'm partial to all of the James Squire beers, but one of the big things I miss in Oz is a pint of bitter down the pub.... and I don't mean that bloody VB rubbish.
We are lucky to have Old Speckled Hen on tap at our local
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melbournegirl
I don't think there is such a huge difference between designer labels in both countries. It depends on the brand though.

For example:

Tiffany two heart silver pendant: UK : 120 pounds AUST: $240

which works out around the same price.

Another example is the UK brand FC**. The same shirt was $89.00 in Australia and 55 pounds in UK. Aust. actually works out cheaper.

People think if they go to Asia they will get designer labels cheaper but in fact they are about the same as in Australia though the knock off ones are obviously cheaper.

Some European brands are cheaper in the UK than in Aust. but American brands are similar to UK prices.
Yes, I suppose, that wonderful idea of globalisation is allowing the big companies to set their prices the same the world over, with hardly any difference. Especially the luxury brands. However I know a few girls that spend a fortune at Topshop, H&M, Primark, Next etc - as far as I know there is nothing like these places in Australia. If you want something fashionable you generally have to pay more.

If you buy when the sales are on you can save a bit though, Myer menswear have a lot of good brands at 30-50% off.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=UncleKev;6884966]It should be possible if you plan to live a nurses lifestyle. There must be thousands of nurses in Melbourne living a decent life.

Having seen the inside of British hospitals and the Australian ones, the Aussie ones win hands down. I dont know how anyone could bear working in those depressing chav infested dumps in the UK. I had to take my son to Reading hospital once and we had to wade through initimidating groups of drug addled hoodies spitting on the floor, and avoid a massive african lad wrestling with two female police officers, just to get to the (barred) reception desk to register my son into the outpatients. Very sad, and I really felt sorry for the hospital staff.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, the hospital i worked in in scotland (Crosshouse Hospital, Kilmarncok), far exceeds ANY hospital i have worked in here in melbourne, in every area:curse:, but i cannot speak for other hosps in the u.k

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 19th 2008 at 11:42 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I find it cheaper to live here than in London.

I've always said 2:1 is a good measure (i.e. $100k will give you the same lifestyle as £50k in the UK).

Somethings will be more expensive, some things will be cheaper. Whether you find it cheaper or not will depend on your lifestyle and your life choices.

It is worth noting that if you come to Aus and take up an activity that you didn't do in the UK (e.g. Windsurfing, Scuba, etc...) then you will find it more expensive. That is, Life + New Costly Hobby will be more expensive than just Life. I think this catches some people out.

So, IMHO, Melbourne is (for me) cheaper than London, Melbourne could be more expensive than other parts of the UK.

In summary, my family could easily live and have a lifestyle on 100k in Melbourne. I can see that others might not.

I think thats one of the differences we talk of the u.k compared to aus, but no way could i have afforded to live in london and perhaps other areas of the u.k, but to live in ayrshire in scotland was about as cheap as you could live, so its the cost of living and other expenses (out of school activities, etc), here in melbourne that has been a complete shock to us.

I have also met a few u.k nurses here, most of the english ones think there working conditions are better and most of the scottish ones think its worse,