Reload this Page >

$100,000 salary in Melbourne

$100,000 salary in Melbourne

Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:33 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $100,000 salary in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Grayling
I was simply making the point that whether or not you think it expensive probably depends on where you came from and what you are used to....it was not meant to be a criticism.

Brisbane is very expensive compared to what we are used to and the Peak district is hardly cheap.

.....and the beer is far better there

As for strawberries from Israel in Tesco.....what about all the prawns (a staple of Australian bbq's) from Pakistan and Thailand?.....or barramundi from Panama?

G
Okay. Just that it was also the point I made so your post came across as if you were making a counter point. Maybe all the "...." made it sound quarrelsome

There's good beer in Vic (although it is expensive).

What about them prawns? Do they taste good or bad? Not a big fan myself.

Strawberries in season from Kent are really good. Strawberries from Israel out of season are not. Strawberries in season here are really good. Strawberries out of season are not.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Oct 18th 2008 at 12:36 am.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:36 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by melbournegirl

Some European brands are cheaper in the UK than in Aust. but American brands are similar to UK prices.
...or you could move to my part of Oz where European brands are rarer than hens teeth and cost just as much.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

There's good beer in Vic (although it is expensive).
Well send some this way then.

Some of the southern beers are on sale at the local bottle shop for over $30 for 6 x 330 ml. bottles....I'll stick to Coopers.

As for prawns....I am not too keen on them myself either.

G
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:47 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of the southern beers are on sale at the local bottle shop for over $30 for 6 x 330 ml. bottles....I'll stick to Coopers.

G
I'm partial to all of the James Squire beers, but one of the big things I miss in Oz is a pint of bitter down the pub.... and I don't mean that bloody VB rubbish.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I'm partial to all of the James Squire beers, but one of the big things I miss in Oz is a pint of bitter down the pub.... and I don't mean that bloody VB rubbish.
Squires is OK and not too expensive.....but, to me, nothing beats a decent pint of hand pulled real ale.

I have never been hugely keen on bottled beer.

G
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Well send some this way then.

As for prawns....I am not too keen on them myself either.

G
Ouch! Mucho expensive.

I was reading a blog the other day of a Qlder who was walking the route of Burke and Wills. One of his earlier entries commented that you could not get XXXX in Vic. Probably not entirely true but very funny.

I must admit I spent about 6 months trying to get used to the standard beers here but eventually decided to buy some decent pommy stuff from Dan's only to find that there's loads of decent Aussie brews as well. Haven't complained since

Here's some info on Victoran beers if you're interested.
http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...BD0C63CFEAE3B/
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I think I've drunk VB twice in 4 years of being here. Not sure why I drank it the second time. Must have been drunk
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Ouch! Mucho expensive.

I was reading a blog the other day of a Qlder who was walking the route of Burke and Wills. One of his earlier entries commented that you could not get XXXX in Vic. Probably not entirely true but very funny.

I must admit I spent about 6 months trying to get used to the standard beers here but eventually decided to buy some decent pommy stuff from Dan's only to find that there's loads of decent Aussie brews as well. Haven't complained since

Here's some info on Victoran beers if you're interested.
http://www.visitvictoria.com/display...BD0C63CFEAE3B/

I think the southen climate is more conducive to proper brewing.

Most of the micro breweries seem to be in South Australia, Victoria or West Australia.

There are a few pale ales etc. available here at a cost.

I am waiting for my brewing equipment to arrive and I will see what happens.

One problem is that it takes me about 20 gallons of water to make 5 gallons of beer and there are water restrictions here. I will need to look at recycling.

G
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:38 am
Account Closed

I think the southen climate is more conducive to proper brewing.

Most of the micro breweries seem to be in South Australia, Victoria or West Australia.

There are a few pale ales etc. available here at a cost.

I am waiting for my brewing equipment to arrive and I will see what happens.

One problem is that it takes me about 20 gallons of water to make 5 gallons of beer and there are water restrictions here. I will need to look at recycling.

G
I think you're right. Or maybe VB has forced Victorians to explore better beers

I got this 2nd hand but someone was telling me that you have to be super sterile with home brew here because of the warmer weather.

I would guess that the water to beer ratio would be higher for bought beer so you could say you're saving water by brewing your own

Maybe you could install a rain water tank especially for brewing
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:54 am
Bitter and twisted

I would guess that the water to beer ratio would be higher for bought beer so you could say you're saving water by brewing your own

Maybe you could install a rain water tank especially for brewing
You are probably right. Yeast is also very sensitive to temperature.

As far as water tanks are concerned....when we had our new gutters fitted last week the old ones were full of crap including a fossilised possum

We will fit tanks but need a new roof first...it was only the crap keeping the roof together.

G
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:56 am
Account Closed

As far as water tanks are concerned....when we had our new gutters fitted last week the old ones were full of crap including a fossilised possum

We will fit tanks but need a new roof first...it was only the crap keeping the roof together.

G

It would give a unique taste to the beer
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:57 am
Bitter and twisted

It would give a unique taste to the beer
Here's to my first brew of Possum pale ale
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
Actually, I think it's quite fascinating to see how different people's experiences are.

Our income is only half of yours and we DO have the lifestyle. I don't have to work, OH doesn't need to do overtime as his salary is higher here, we were lucky enough to buy a fab house in a gorgeous area. We can enjoy national park walks on our doorstep, but still have facilities a 5 min drive away.

The girls have a host of activities to choose from, no problem getting places and costs are generally affordable. I find the cost of living probably on par overall. But there are many free events and beautiful places to go - we also rarely have to pay for parking and few places are crowded.

I guess it all depends how you spend your money...
Mate you should run courses!!

Indeed. We struggled occasionally then forgot that we had spent on renos etc etc one month. We could save quite a bit if we really wanted to. I find some things here very expensive - tends to be some of the luxury items - so source them elsewhere. Some things which are price insensitive and have to be paid - I find quite a bit cheaper here. Overall I'd say Australia was about the same as the UK - prices having risen fast recently.

Now the US is a lot cheaper..
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

G
G, I brewed on a week before Christmas and to my dismay it hit 40 odd and the temp in the laundry was almost 30. My brew stewed in all this - I assumed it was going to be a lost cause - and it came out absolutely fantastic!! Maybe the Green Coopers is an easy one to do which is great as it is without doubt one of my favourites brewed or bought.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
G, I brewed on a week before Christmas and to my dismay it hit 40 odd and the temp in the laundry was almost 30. My brew stewed in all this - I assumed it was going to be a lost cause - and it came out absolutely fantastic!! Maybe the Green Coopers is an easy one to do which is great as it is without doubt one of my favourites brewed or bought.
I will give it a go.

I usually brew from grain and basic materials ie. pale malt and hops but may start off with kits to experiment with the temperatures.

It is the mashing and sparging of the wort which uses most of the water.

I like the green coopers so will try it

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.