Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$100,000 salary in Melbourne

$100,000 salary in Melbourne

Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $100,000 salary in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Wendy

My opinion is good luck to everyone, no matter what they earn or where they live (or want to live). Life is there to be lived, and you should be as happy as you can be......sod everyone else.
Very true.

People all have different circumstances, and for that reason some people require more of an income than others. And its not always down to choice either, some people may need a higher income in order to pay medical bills, to look after elderly parents, to support disabled children, nothing to do with expensive lifestyles.

Lets agree to accept each other's experiences for what they are - reality. Because everyone has a different reality, and often by acknowledging what others are experiencing we come to have a new perspective on our own lives.

Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:33 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Smallpurplecat
My husband has been offered a job in Melbourne, paying $100k.

Just wondering what sort of lifestyle this would allow us?
I never really understand these posts as it is impossible to give an accurate answer. For example various things may eat into this salary depending on circumstances.
The OP really needs to give more information.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
I never really understand these posts as it is impossible to give an accurate answer. For example various things may eat into this salary depending on circumstances.
The OP really needs to give more information.
absolutely, if you collect lalique crystal and have a cocaine habit, a million a year will be a stretch
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:39 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kporte
absolutely, if you collect lalique crystal and have a cocaine habit, a million a year will be a stretch

too true my friend or if you drive my Land Rover here in England doing 350miles P/W it would be a stretch too
So Costco for 40litres of cooking oil tomorrow it is then

OOOOOOoooo Shoot please dont let this turn into a fuel rant now

Dougie
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Good post Wendy,

Personally for me, I could not cope on $100.000 in Melbourne, No were near.
If you can Good Luck to you.....
Again for me there would only be so many things i would wont to do for free.
Now way up the can cope's and the can not cope's and work out the average.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Look, I think someone's own financial situation is a personal issue and not for a public forum stoning! No-one can really say "yeah right - if only I had $100,000 salary" coz everyone's individual situation is so varied and complex!

I wish I had a $200,000 income but I'm not going to make someone who's earning that feel crap in comparision to what I have now because they may have SO many reasons for not having spare cash left over at the end of the month.
Who really cares!!???

I think we should stop comparing income and outgoings and just try to live with whatever we have!!! I didn't mention our own income so that I could get a slagging off on here.

Please don't think I was having a go at you. I know quite well how people live in different ways - my brother & wife have an income 6x our Oz income and they still have little left at the end of the month.

I was just illustrating how it is possible to have a wonderful life here on circa $60K. Obviously, depends on ones circumstances, depends what one needs/wants to make them happy. We need very little - health, happiness and simple pleasures
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
DITTO for a spark and a finanicial advisor
the dougettes have crossed it off too!

Dougie
Why would you cross it off just because one person can't afford it on a certain salary? Plenty can on an average salary - as I said before I don't believe it's any more expensive than elsewhere.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
DITTO for a spark and a finanicial advisor
the dougettes have crossed it off too!

Dougie
Like someone has said , don't cross it off. After living for a short time in Sydney, And in Adelaide, i would say the only difference Is House prices, or rental prices, City parking/ public transport. The actual cost of living is the same, as the other states have more shop's so that keeps the competition up more.
The main reason you spend more in Sydney / Melbourne etc, is because there is more to do, so more to spend on, But in comparisment the wages are slightly higher.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Cheers Valespark,
- I actually can't say we've ever had a "bargain" here. Cost of stuff is ridiculous. :

I just bought a pair of Francois Perot Paris shoes reduced from $480.00 to $50.00 - what a bargain.

I am always getting bargains here. You have to know how to shop. You can't just go into the first shop and expect a bargain. You have to shop around. Myer, Target, BIG W, KMart etc. are always having 30% off sales, buy one get one for 50% off, 75% of the reduced price etc. etc. Keep an eye on the catalogues. Go to DFO outlets. Many stores have a policy where if you see it cheaper elsewhere they will match.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it cheaper to live here than in London.

I've always said 2:1 is a good measure (i.e. $100k will give you the same lifestyle as £50k in the UK).

Somethings will be more expensive, some things will be cheaper. Whether you find it cheaper or not will depend on your lifestyle and your life choices.

It is worth noting that if you come to Aus and take up an activity that you didn't do in the UK (e.g. Windsurfing, Scuba, etc...) then you will find it more expensive. That is, Life + New Costly Hobby will be more expensive than just Life. I think this catches some people out.

So, IMHO, Melbourne is (for me) cheaper than London, Melbourne could be more expensive than other parts of the UK.

In summary, my family could easily live and have a lifestyle on 100k in Melbourne. I can see that others might not.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Oct 18th 2008 at 12:04 am.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I think another obvious, or not so obvious one because many people will still do it, is clothes and shoe shopping - if you are a fan of labels and a big shopper in the UK then it will cost you an absolute fortune here.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I find it cheaper to live here than in London.
Probably.....but we find Brisbane far more expensive than where we lived in the Peak district.

G
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sr71
I think another obvious, or not so obvious one because many people will still do it, is clothes and shoe shopping - if you are a fan of labels and a big shopper in the UK then it will cost you an absolute fortune here.
I don't think there is such a huge difference between designer labels in both countries. It depends on the brand though.

For example:

Tiffany two heart silver pendant: UK : 120 pounds AUST: $240

which works out around the same price.

Another example is the UK brand FC**. The same shirt was $89.00 in Australia and 55 pounds in UK. Aust. actually works out cheaper.

People think if they go to Asia they will get designer labels cheaper but in fact they are about the same as in Australia though the knock off ones are obviously cheaper.

Some European brands are cheaper in the UK than in Aust. but American brands are similar to UK prices.

Last edited by melbournegirl; Oct 18th 2008 at 12:18 am.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:14 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Probably.....but we find Brisbane far more expensive than where we lived in the Peak district.

G
Did I say or suggest otherwise? Err...No. (Does that sound like a familiar repost? )

You'll probably find London more expensive than the Peak District!

I also accept that you can't find decent beer and strawberries even though I can.

Admittedly strawberries are out of season at the mo so they're as tasty as those out of season Israeli strawberries we used to get in Tesco.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Oct 18th 2008 at 12:16 am.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Did I say or suggest otherwise? Err...No. (Does that sound like a familiar repost? )

You'll probably find London more expensive than the Peak District!

I also accept that you can't find decent beer and strawberries even though I can.

Admittedly strawberries are out of season at the mo so they're as tasty as those out of season Israeli strawberries we used to get in Tesco.
I was simply making the point that whether or not you think it expensive probably depends on where you came from and what you are used to....it was not meant to be a criticism.

Brisbane is very expensive compared to what we are used to and the Peak district is hardly cheap.

.....and the beer is far better there

As for strawberries from Israel in Tesco.....what about all the prawns (a staple of Australian bbq's) from Pakistan and Thailand?.....or barramundi from Panama?

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.