Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$100,000 salary in Melbourne

$100,000 salary in Melbourne

Old Oct 17th 2008, 12:44 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $100,000 salary in Melbourne

Originally Posted by sr71
So what are you doing wrong?

Because the majority of households in Melbourne will be earning less than $120K.

I really find it hard to believe that you struggle on that salary, you are obviously living well beyond your means in Australia.

BTW, I was paying £600 a month for trains in the UK.

Why are you assuming I'm doing something WRONG with whatever money we have!!!!!!??????

This is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S Don't ASSUME anything about anyone.

Last edited by onepearlyb; Oct 17th 2008 at 1:15 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Why are you assuming I'm doing something WRONG with whatever money we have!!!!!!??????

No assumption, you gave the impression that you couldn't make ends meet and used up all your salaries just surviving..
Old Oct 17th 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by julesy
Well thats Melbourne crossed off my list theres no way i could afford to live there on a nurses salary
It should be possible if you plan to live a nurses lifestyle. There must be thousands of nurses in Melbourne living a decent life.

Having seen the inside of British hospitals and the Australian ones, the Aussie ones win hands down. I dont know how anyone could bear working in those depressing chav infested dumps in the UK. I had to take my son to Reading hospital once and we had to wade through initimidating groups of drug addled hoodies spitting on the floor, and avoid a massive african lad wrestling with two female police officers, just to get to the (barred) reception desk to register my son into the outpatients. Very sad, and I really felt sorry for the hospital staff.

The main problem in Melbourne in recent times has been the cost of real estate. The government has flooded Melbourne and Sydney with new migrants faster than the infrastructure could cope. Its been a bonanza for landlords.

Hopefully with the current downturn in the economy a lot of the houses and flats are going to go down in value, so it should be easier to buy something. A lot of the buy to let guys are going to get foreclosed by banks and there will be bargains to be snapped up for the astute new settler with a pocket full of English Pounds. Aussie house prices are heading for a crash of over 50%, so dont rush in to anything just yet.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 12:51 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by julesy
Well thats Melbourne crossed off my list theres no way i could afford to live there on a nurses salary
DITTO for a spark and a finanicial advisor
the dougettes have crossed it off too!

Dougie
Old Oct 17th 2008, 12:54 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

jeeeeeeeeeeeeez i'll keep my intended next post to myself

Dougie

Last edited by Dougie; Oct 17th 2008 at 12:56 pm. Reason: frightened of a forum post lashing!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:03 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
No assumption, you gave the impression that you couldn't make ends meet and used up all your salaries just surviving..
I have never said "we cant make ends meet".
All I am saying on here is that due to necessary high cost outgoings - we certainly don't have "the lifestyle" out here.

Last edited by onepearlyb; Oct 17th 2008 at 1:17 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:08 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
jeeeeeeeeeeeeez i'll keep my intended next post to myself

Dougie
What's your reply all about mate?
All I've done on this thread is honestly state our combined income and say that our outgoings exceed any possibility of a better lifestyle here.

Just post whatever you want to - it's a free forum.
Just don't expect to make statements on here and not expect any comeback from whoever you're aiming comments at.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:18 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

What's your reply all about mate?
All I've done on this thread is honestly state our combined income and say that our outgoings exceed any possibility of a better lifestyle here.

Just post whatever you want to - it's a free forum.
Just don't expect to make statements on here and not expect any comeback from whoever you're aiming comments at.
Its a free world and not every one will live the way you which to live your own life. Pearly has lived in melbourne before and has tried again and has found it not too her and OH liking.

Some people will come and love Melbourne as I, Buzzy and many others have. But others will come with same salary, funds etc and hate the place.

By all accounts they gave it the best shot but it just did not tick their boxes - for that reason we should not wish them bitterness but instead wish them well in their next endeavours.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:34 pm
Swollen Member

wo wo wo wo woo
I was mearly trying to add some jest to the thread and do not wish to rattle anyones cage or wish them bitterness, i have gone about this the wrong way i see,
If people cannot live the lifestyle that they are happy / accoustomed too on there salary then of course that location / job is not suited to them, and they need to address the situation with cool calm and collected thoughts and make a personel educated decision on how they and only they would like to deal with the situation.

Look, I think someone's own financial situation is a personal issue and not for a public forum stoning! No-one can really say "yeah right - if only I had $100,000 salary" coz everyone's individual situation is so varied and complex!

maybe in hindsight it should have read 'our salary' and not 100000$
As this to many people it seems to have upset slightly because this is a lot of money and alot of people on here are struggling / coping on a lot less!
But that has been said and done already on this thread.

And on that note........................... i've now given my 2cents worth.

Regards

Dougie
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

everybody has different circumstances, but it seems unfair that some people are almost chastised for being fortunate enough to earn a few bob. i dare say most have earned it.
on the flip side, when many families are struggling on 50 k, it pisses them off if someone posts "i have been offered a salary of $ 250,000 per week, can i survive on this?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
wo wo wo wo woo
I was mearly trying to add some jest to the thread and do not wish to rattle anyones cage or wish them bitterness, i have gone about this the wrong way i see,
If people cannot live the lifestyle that they are happy / accoustomed too on there salary then of course that location / job is not suited to them, and they need to address the situation with cool calm and collected thoughts and make a personel educated decision on how they and only they would like to deal with the situation.

Look, I think someone's own financial situation is a personal issue and not for a public forum stoning! No-one can really say "yeah right - if only I had $100,000 salary" coz everyone's individual situation is so varied and complex!

maybe in hindsight it should have read 'our salary' and not 100000$
As this to many people it seems to have upset slightly because this is a lot of money and alot of people on here are struggling / coping on a lot less!
But that has been said and done already on this thread.

And on that note........................... i've now given my 2cents worth.

Regards

Dougie
The point is Dougie, that peoples incomes, lifestyles and experiences are all different and what one person sees as a 'low income' others will see as a fortune.

Some people will think that to have the 'lifestyle' they need a brand new house, near the beach on a half acre block. To others the 'lifestyle' will be something as simple as more family time in a similar size house, in a suburb not near the sea, as to where they originally come from. For most it's somewhere in between.

Every single person on this site is an individual, all with different dreams, goals, experiences and expectations. For someone to say they struggle on x amount and someone else to say they can manage on less than half that isn't slating anyone or saying they are lying, it's saying that we are all different and that just because one person can't manage doesn't mean it's like that for everyone.

Like always though, the ones that want to return see anyone who says they can manage and are happy on less money that them as saying these things to upset them, which isn't true. If someone had posted that they can manage quite well on $50k in Melbourne and then someone had said to them ' that's not true' there would be lots of people jumping on the ' I can't manage either bandwagon' and nothing would be said.

And the post above are directed at me I think, so don't worry about it because I sure as hell aren't

I don't struggle and I don't just cope on our income. I am quite well off, but then I live in Adelaide and maybe the cost of living is cheaper here.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
everybody has different circumstances, but it seems unfair that some people are almost chastised for being fortunate enough to earn a few bob. i dare say most have earned it.
on the flip side, when many families are struggling on 50 k, it pisses them off if someone posts "i have been offered a salary of $ 250,000 per week, can i survive on this?

Get off the fance mate, you'll hurt yourself

My opinion is good luck to everyone, no matter what they earn or where they live (or want to live). Life is there to be lived, and you should be as happy as you can be......sod everyone else.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Get off the fance mate, you'll hurt yourself

My opinion is good luck to everyone, no matter what they earn or where they live (or want to live). Life is there to be lived, and you should be as happy as you can be......sod everyone else.
i live on the fence, i'm married
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
i live on the fence, i'm married

Me too
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Me too
as 10cc used to say, the things we do for love

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.