Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$100,000 Bond !?!*

$100,000 Bond !?!*

Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Alan Collett
I think you'll find the interest isn't tax free - it may have been paid gross, but it will be assessable in the UK or Australia (depending on where you are tax resident).

Best regtards.
Thats right Alan
The treasury dept deducted the interest before they paid us.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 9:00 am
Soon to be Visas holders

pete n lisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by footie chick
Timber

We have just lodged our bond with Queensland. They were offering the best rates and also apart from Perth they were the only ones to reply to my email. We used HIFX as i found them the most helpful and they were competitive in the rates offered as my bank would only offer me tourist rates for transfering the money.We will get interest of the bond every 6 months.

Hope this helps

footie x
Snap, we did exactly the same, Queensland are really helpful, if you need telephone nos and address, pm me.

Best wishes

Pete n Lisa
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:08 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the Info. Really appreciated. Does anyone have any Links so that we may get information Online?

After the 1 year period is up, what is the best way and safest, with a high yield, of investing this money??

Cheers Steve
Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

bump
Does anyone know how to get hold of the treasury details coz I can't find them on the immi- website.
Ta
Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Larissa
bump
Does anyone know how to get hold of the treasury details coz I can't find them on the immi- website.
Ta
L Pmd u
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting info,we are in exactly the same position but do not need to do anything for some time.Glad to hear that it is fairly straightforward .Ou agent said the same don't worry until the time comes as they will provide all the info we need.
Good Luck Everyone It's a lot of money to part with but worth it for the extra points.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 7:31 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, thats our way of looking at it too
its a lot of cash, but its the difference in going and not going to Oz.......so that kind of makes it worth it to me?

I do feel sorry for the people that had got the required number of points pre-April including posting the bond, only to get the rug pulled out from under their feet.

Marko
Old Jun 20th 2004, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

clandfam is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you mean by "got the required number of points pre-april, only to get the rug pulled from under their feet".

Don't panic, Don't panic!!!!
Old Jun 20th 2004, 4:06 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by clandfam
What do you mean by "got the required number of points pre-april, only to get the rug pulled from under their feet".

Don't panic, Don't panic!!!!

Points score for skilled Ind, changed.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Timber if you havent sorted it yet, PM either Lisa, Nosuchluck or footie.
They all helped me prepare for my bond request.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Wolves2stayup! will become famous soon enough
Default $100 000 bond

Is anyone in the same position as us? We're reliant upon the sale of our house to provide us with our funds to lodge the bond? We just putting house on Market and hopefully have someone interested! Are adelaide really strict on timescales? apparently you get 49 days from receipt of letter to lodge bond, how understanding are they? If at all!

Sam and Paul
Old Jun 20th 2004, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We bank with HSBC (plus have mortgage with them) and raised the money against our house (re-mortgaged) but we had to pay about £100 (I think) to get the place re-valued. We recently drew down the money and then changed it into dollars, we had this all arranged with the bank for some time, but didn't have to pay interest until now. The house is on the market, just need a buyer!
Old Jun 20th 2004, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

lollykay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $100,000 bond

Hi

we have just paid our bond as we are moving to Brisbane, don't worry Adelaide send you all the infor you will need.

we opened a Commonwealth of Oz bank account and having phoned around for the best 'spot rate' used the commonwealth.

They automatically forwarded on to the Treasury Corporation the funds. It is very safe and we get 5.19% paid twice yearly into our oz bank account. You can redeem in one year. we do not intend to move down until third week of June 05 and we will have the bond back well before we move down under.

Word of advice, the form 1134 which you have to send along with the application form. Make sure you have a certified proof of posting and chase the Treasury Corp to make sure they send this off to Adelaide

Hope that helps
Old Jun 20th 2004, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: $100,000 bond

Regarding the chasing up of the Treasury Corporation, can you just email them to ask if they have received the funds and sent a copy to Adelaide?
Thanks in advance
Rach x
Old Jun 21st 2004, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

lollykay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $100,000 bond

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Regarding the chasing up of the Treasury Corporation, can you just email them to ask if they have received the funds and sent a copy to Adelaide?
Thanks in advance
Rach x
The inscription bond and covering letter we received from Treasury Corp gave no details for email and the fax and telephone number was unobtainable. This led to a choice words between the other half about being diddled, but just went back to Adelaide and they gave us the correct numbers, it appears that they had not updated their papers. In the end just phoned them and got to speak to them direct.