Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$100,000 Bond !?!*

$100,000 Bond !?!*

Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:22 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Angry $100,000 Bond !?!*

Not having looked into the Bond arena, we are now at the stage , well in approx 4 weeks we expect, to be asked for our 100k bond.

Please , we need to discuss with expats or wannabes, the following:~

1. where is best to place the bond.
2. what is best process to transfer funds
3. do you earn interest on the bond
4. is the bond 100% safe and secure
5. what would current interest be on a bond, released in 1 yrs time into a high interest savings account, or some other SAFE means of investment

Regards Steve
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:30 am
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $100,000 Bond !?!*

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Not having looked into the Bond arena, we are now at the stage , well in approx 4 weeks we expect, to be asked for our 100k bond.

5. what would current interest be on a bond, released in 1 yrs time into a high interest savings account, or some other SAFE means of investment

Regards Steve

Steve

What sort of visa are you applying for. We have a 136 and didn't have to put up a bond.

Clevs
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:30 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by clevs
Steve

What sort of visa are you applying for. We have a 136 and didn't have to put up a bond.

Clevs

Skilled independant
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:33 am
Me, 2 kids and the wife

Skilled independant
Yes the same as us, 136 skilled independant. But still didn't put up a bond. How many point have you got, maybe that is why they require bond money.

Clevs
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:37 am
Banned

Yes the same as us, 136 skilled independant. But still didn't put up a bond. How many point have you got, maybe that is why they require bond money.

Clevs

I know Why they are requesting a Bond, thats not in question

This is

Regards Steve
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:41 am
Me, 2 kids and the wife

I know Why they are requesting a Bond, thats not in question

This is

Regards Steve

As we didn't need to go down that route I can't help you. I hope that you get help soon................
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:48 am
Banned

As we didn't need to go down that route I can't help you. I hope that you get help soon................

pmsl thanks
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:52 am
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve

We were looking at the same scenario with out 138 SAS Visa app coz we thought we might need the extra points...but we didn't. As far as I understand it the $100k is invested in Aus Bonds for you and DIMIA will let you know where and when and how to send the funds when they are needed to be lodged. Similar to the sponsor lodging their some what smaller bond which is the stage we are now entering into.

I will stand corrected if this is not the case....but realistically how on earth are you supposed to know when, how and where??? unless they tell you.

Don't worry...just wait for them to tell you or if you can't stand it any longer...get in touch and ask them directly!!

Hope this helps.
Stay cool!
Dave
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:18 am
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a thread about this if it helps...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=235461

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=235654

exactly what you need I think...
Old Jun 12th 2004, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Timber

We have just lodged our bond with Queensland. They were offering the best rates and also apart from Perth they were the only ones to reply to my email. We used HIFX as i found them the most helpful and they were competitive in the rates offered as my bank would only offer me tourist rates for transfering the money.We will get interest of the bond every 6 months.

Hope this helps

footie x
Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Timber

We posted our bond last year with the WA treasury ( only because that is where we went). After 6 months we got a payment for the interest and last month recieved the balance plus more interest.

It was all Tax free.

The rate was about 4.5% (I think)

All the bonds are held centrally in Melbourne somewhere.

Each state offers different rates but they're only marginally different.

Keel
Old Jun 12th 2004, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Bond

Hello
We lodged our bond yesterday! did it through our bank TSB, it was very very easy and took 10 minutes, just went into bank with the forms and told them what we wanted to do, did it through an International MoneyMover, then faxed form off to Queensland Treasury Corporation.
We lodged with Queensland not only because that's where we are going but because it seemed easiest, interest rate on 19/5 was 5.17%, not sure what exchange rate we got though as hubby didn't ask and was told that Queensland would sort it out there end!
Really easy peasy
best of luck
Rach x
Old Jun 12th 2004, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Polly58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve

We lodged our bond last month. The first thing that we did was go to www.immi.gov.au where all the treasury email addresses are listed. We then emailed them all on the same day and waited for their responses. All replied quoting the relevant interest that day and most attached the relevant forms for completion. We ended up going with WA because that was the best interest rate for the day. We got 5.25%, the bond is secure in government stocks. A step by step guide was also attached with the emails from the Treasuries. WA were very helpful and seemed to be on the ball.
We transferred all our money via HIFX.
Hope this answers most of your questions.

Sonia & Andy
Old Jun 12th 2004, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Regards Steve
Steve,
We placed our bond with Queensland as they were the most helpful.
Ours is due to expire next month. We received the first 6 months interest when we were in Oz for our validation trip. The interest rate was not bad either - Ã? think we go nearly 2k interest for the first half.

Good luck.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 5:35 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find the interest isn't tax free - it may have been paid gross, but it will be assessable in the UK or Australia (depending on where you are tax resident).

Best regtards.

Originally posted by keel
Hello Timber

We posted our bond last year with the WA treasury ( only because that is where we went). After 6 months we got a payment for the interest and last month recieved the balance plus more interest.

It was all Tax free.

The rate was about 4.5% (I think)

All the bonds are held centrally in Melbourne somewhere.

Each state offers different rates but they're only marginally different.

Keel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.