Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Old Jun 5th 2013, 2:20 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Originally Posted by Ballys
With this bloke in charge as of 01/7/13 you could be right...........along with double digit inflation,
now I'm not in the UK then double digit inflation would be good as wages would go up and so therefore would my future pension increase. Bit of a pisser for those in the UK but as the saying goes "I'm alright Jack"

A stronger pound would also be good for my UK pension conversion too even with the extra tax
Old Jun 5th 2013, 2:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
now I'm not in the UK then double digit inflation would be good as wages would go up and so therefore would my future pension increase. Bit of a pisser for those in the UK but as the saying goes "I'm alright Jack"

A stronger pound would also be good for my UK pension conversion too even with the extra tax
In an ideal world, rising inflation would mean rising interest rates, which would be good news for my UK savings. But as the UK govt. is playing silly buggers with their economy I can't see interest rates rising

Last edited by Amazulu; Jun 5th 2013 at 3:01 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 2:44 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In an ideal world, rising inflation would mean rising interst rates, which would be good news for my UK savings. But as the UK govt. is playing silly buggers with their economy I can't see interest rates rising
The pound can also weaken once a year for the few days I need to transfer the tax bill over
Old Jun 5th 2013, 3:26 pm
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN

Not so sure bout the wages.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 3:46 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

Originally Posted by Ballys
Not so sure bout the wages.
I'd expect govt dept wages would increase at some ratio of the inflation figures over and above the 0% I had for the last few years.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

benflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nicebenflux is just really nice

I'm predicting 1.8 by August. If I don't say it, how can i be right/wrong? :-)
Old Jun 6th 2013, 3:23 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benflux
I'm predicting 1.8 by August. If I don't say it, how can i be right/wrong? :-)
Since 14th April, the exchange rate has been rising $0.1 per month, roughly, with a slightly faster rate in recent weeks.

Today it's at approx £1 : $1.64

We can be fairly sure, if things continue as they have, that by mid month we'll over $1.65, and by mid July $1.75 - which would indeed yield $1.8 by August.

Of course, there's no guarantee that things will continue. The rate is testing 2 year limits and someone will want to take profits. The new BoE guv is supposed to want a weaker pound. However, if you were wanting to shift money UK>Aus it could be worth waiting and keeping a keen eye on the graph to see when it tips over.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 5:25 am
Just Joined

palmer59 is an unknown quantity at this point

$1.715 today......so are we at last seeing the dollar heading back towards $2 to the pound......I hope so.....fingers crossed !
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed!

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Bother- transferred 40k over last week!!
Still it is saving us more per month off our mortgage than waiting for that rate to get even better.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by palmer59
$1.715 today......so are we at last seeing the dollar heading back towards $2 to the pound......I hope so.....fingers crossed !
Which it should be, roughly. Remember that the Australian Dollar is just half a pound - when they decided along with the rest of the Commonwealth to go for the "ten shilling unit" when they went decimial (NZ Dollar, Rand, etc).

To make the changeover less confusing for the poor old Aussies who thought that everything was going to suddenly be twice as expensive they deliberately designed the dollar note to be similar in colour to the ten shilling note, as well as making the two dollar note the same colour as the old pound note.

In fact even up to the 1980s it was common for people to refer to the $2 note as a "quid note", as well as 20c pieces as "two bobs".
Attached Thumbnails alt=.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous-aus-dollar.jpg   alt=.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous-aus-ten-shillings.jpg  
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Bother- transferred 40k over last week!!
Still it is saving us more per month off our mortgage than waiting for that rate to get even better.
Transferred this week @ 1.675, so not complaining too much.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:26 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Transferred this week @ 1.675, so not complaining too much.
When I moved mine at the start of April I got 1.475 - don't even want to work that out - ouch
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Used to be the other way round until the last few years. When we went to the UK on holiday in 2000, you could get a feed in a typical Westfield Aussie food court for 2 Adults and 2 kids for a $20 note, in the UK we had to chuck over a fifty pound note for a similar feed.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I hesitated moving all my AUD back to GBP back in April.. Kicking myself now. Lost about £80 per $1000.. Will it ever go back again? Or is leaving it longer going to be worse? Not an insignificant amount either..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.