Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

$1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:25 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Originally Posted by DC10
I'd leave it in the UK. There's really no reason to rush into bringing money over to buy property in Aus at present - it is hard to see how prices could go much higher, and as testament to how overbought the market is, it is generally much cheaper to rent at present (the buy-to-letters all have to put in extra to cover their mortgages).

They bring up the old "not enough supply" chestnut to justify asking prices, but we have heard that one before in the UK, Spain, USA...

Sit tight.
They all pale in comparison to China !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbDeS_mXMnM
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by GarryP
Eventually someone is going to twig that what they need to do is cut interest rates AND put house price controls on at the same time.
Yeah and all those lovely people in parliament with their property portfolios are going to do this
Old Jan 13th 2012, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Welcome to the world aussie travellers have been in for the last 20+ years.

Either you want to come to OZ or you dont. (Yes it really is a simple as that)

If you do, you'll bite the bullet. If you dont then you'll postpone until the time is right for you.

Depends if you take the short term or long term view.

When I left OZ (many years ago) the exchange rate wasn't favourable but I was a late teen and my parents dictated that I had to go to Europe to finish my education, so they bit the bullet and off I went even though the exchange rate from OZ wasnt favourable. When I came back to OZ (24 years later- long story) the exchange rate was much more favourable to me, but TBH I would have come back regardless of what the exchange rate was cos I was finally heartsick (way beyond homesick).

I find it interesting nowadays to see how many people are "debating" the wisdom of a move with the current exchange rate. A lot of folks that moved to OZ in the mid 80's did so at todays rate or worse and in the late 70's/early 80's the rate would have been so much better for them - so a similar situation to today, but those that moved across in the mid 80's when the exchange rate was hovering around $1.40-$1.45 and stayed now have a great lifestyle.

Your choice! Long term or short term?
You put that very well.Coming here around 1980 iI left a tax free high paying job in germany and had nothing as the ex cook took what little I had in a divorce,she lost the house though as she hadn't worked out how to pay the mortgage as I was the only earner.

Got here to run into a recession and in and out of work,exchange rate was around $1 = 66p,the little money I had was left in the UK while I worked out if OZ was an airport on a world travel or a life.

Tavelling on round the world tickets when I had saved up holidays and money,to get a shit exchange rate wherever I went.Everywhere was so expensive with Tahiti being extortionate.

Then the recession we had to have that almost sent me bankrupt,and the banana republic speech.

In the long run it was probably the best thing I have ever done moving here

Short term movements mean nothing if people are after a long term life here.

geordie downunder
Old Jan 13th 2012, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

All having a strong dollar is going to do is end up putting a lot of Australians out of work. Certainly my experience of Australian workers in IT was that they were low quality and expensive. Given that IT is being sent to India already it all adds up to a bad story. This will continue in other areas of work as the dollars strength or other currencies apparent weakness makes a more compelling case. The company I work for was going to set up a development office in Brisbane but now we are going to centralize in London because British developers are so much cheaper. It's not going to end well in Australia but hey enjoy your foreign holidays while you can.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:07 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: $1.48 to the £ today....this is getting ridiculous

Originally Posted by DC10
"Worth so much less" is a bit misleading.
Worth less than the £. Which it is. I don't think that's misleading.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:11 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Oh, when are you going!?
Wanna join? I'm with some nice blokes
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:25 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
The issue isn't really ht the rate is, but if it will change, or go back.

Right now I cant see it happening. The UK government are happy to keep the pound low to help exports, and the market is concerned about the exposure to the Euro.

I doubt we will see it back to 2:1 for several years.
There are hundred billion capex dollars coming to Australia for resource projects in the coming decade or so. Demand for AUD will remain strong for several years.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I have my life savings in the UK and I wouldn't think for a second to bring it here. I have no desire to buy at property at current prices and love the fact I can pay smallish rent rather than a 'super mortgage' freeing up loads of cash to do what I want with. I'm loving the high A dollar and every so often when I drop a bit back over to the UK it makes my bank account so much more healthier than it did earning pounds. The glass is half full
Old Jan 13th 2012, 9:01 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
All having a strong dollar is going to do is end up putting a lot of Australians out of work. Certainly my experience of Australian workers in IT was that they were low quality and expensive. Given that IT is being sent to India already it all adds up to a bad story. This will continue in other areas of work as the dollars strength or other currencies apparent weakness makes a more compelling case. The company I work for was going to set up a development office in Brisbane but now we are going to centralize in London because British developers are so much cheaper. It's not going to end well in Australia but hey enjoy your foreign holidays while you can.
I agree about the low quality of the IT workers here, but..... In my experience a lot of them are migrants from India or the UK. It's all to easy to blag up a bit on the old CV when you get off the plane, and who is ever going to check. If you tell me you are a Business Objects or Cognos developer you had better actually be able to use it?

I have worked with many migrants who CLEARLY don't have the background and experience they are claiming. I know one former CIO who came via the UK (originally South African though) who was erroneously claiming an MBA, Accounting Degree and Marketing Degree - all of which turned out to be bull dust.

I like the rates where they are though. They can outsource all they like - been there, done that and cleaned the floor up afterwards. I doubt it will be any better this time around.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I agree about the low quality of the IT workers here, but..... In my experience a lot of them are migrants from India or the UK. It's all to easy to blag up a bit on the old CV when you get off the plane, and who is ever going to check. If you tell me you are a Business Objects or Cognos developer you had better actually be able to use it?

I have worked with many migrants who CLEARLY don't have the background and experience they are claiming. I know one former CIO who came via the UK (originally South African though) who was erroneously claiming an MBA, Accounting Degree and Marketing Degree - all of which turned out to be bull dust.

I like the rates where they are though. They can outsource all they like - been there, done that and cleaned the floor up afterwards. I doubt it will be any better this time around.
I concur many poor devs are migrants. It's nothing to do with being Australian for example most of my team in London are native Australians and are very good. Most of them also think Australia is over priced and heading for trouble.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Looks like ANZ are going to get rid of hundreds of more Australian workers probably to replace them with people off shore. Well I did warn all of my ex colleagues what was going to happen all I can say is that I'm glad I'm out of it and internationally competitive due to the low pound. I must remember to laugh at the ones that took out the mega mortgages against my advice.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with this, I've seen more than a few Brits in the IT industry here that have obviously lied or else should be put out to pasture.

At CIO level though, there is no doubt in my mind that someone falsely claiming MBA's etc should be prosecuted for fraud.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr71
Have to agree with this, I've seen more than a few Brits in the IT industry here that have obviously lied or else should be put out to pasture.

At CIO level though, there is no doubt in my mind that someone falsely claiming MBA's etc should be prosecuted for fraud.
But then MBA's don't mean you know what you are doing. For example the head of the part of ANZ used to proudly proclaim his MBA and he was completely useless.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
But then MBA's don't mean you know what you are doing. For example the head of the part of ANZ used to proudly proclaim his MBA and he was completely useless.
Agree. You can buy your way into many MBA schools around the wolrd, and when the average age of those studying it is 28 in many schools, its hardly has the street cred it once did.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:23 pm
Daffyd Duck

Just today, after the eurozone downgrades by S&P:

1 AUD = 0.8127 EUR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.