Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$0 fee credit card

$0 fee credit card

Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $0 fee credit card

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Hang on a min... you are always telling us how little you shop for at Woolies and Coles and now you're telling us you spent $28,000 in Woolies last year.
It's not just for spend at Woolies.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:31 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
It's not just for spend at Woolies.
Gotcha... thought it was a Store card type thingy.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
You may have misread the product specs there MP. It's a MIN LIMIT of 1k, not <1k as you have written.
Does it means that if I purchase <1k and pay within 30 days, I won't be charged anything. But if I purchase for 1k+x, they will charge me interest on x. Financial terms are generally dubious for me
Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

ColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud ofColonialCousin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Sorry for confusion, I meant to say to build credit history after purchasing credit card. That credit history which can be used to take big loans for car and house.

Pity that banks here don't care as much about your bank balance as about your credit history while giving you a loan Taking a credit card has become 'unwanted necessity' for me.
Unfortunately, there is no concept of building up your credit history in Australia. Here, you either have no credit history, or bad credit history. Initial applications for credit can get declined if you have no previous credit applications (sounds stupid, I know) but once your credit file is there, you shouldn't have any problems obtaining credit unless there is a default listed on the file, or if the file shows a lot of credit applications within a short period of time.

Credit Reporting Agencies in Australia do not record the positives (i.e timely repayments etc) which might be used to generate a "score" for the applicant.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:14 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Does it means that if I purchase <1k and pay within 30 days, I won't be charged anything. But if I purchase for 1k+x, they will charge me interest on x. Financial terms are generally dubious for me
You are just overanalysing.
The product offering is extremely clear.
You cannot get this card with a lower credit limit than 1,000.
Simple as that.

Your upper limit gets increased automatically over time by the bank unless you specifically tell them not to. Customers who fully clear their balance at the end of each 30 day period are bad value for the banks as they make no money out of them.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:21 am
ABCDiamond

Hang on a min... you are always telling us how little you shop for at Woolies and Coles and now you're telling us you spent $28,000 in Woolies last year.
You don't have to use it only in Woolworths.

Just made me look up how much I did spend at Woolworths. Ave $48 pw

Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:26 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You don't have to use it only in Woolworths.
Yes, we already established that.

I thought it was more of a store card than a general credit card.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Customers who fully clear their balance at the end of each 30 day period are bad value for the banks as they make no money out of them.
I disagree with that. They get paid by the shops, at whatever % they sign up to.
I used to pay 3% to our merchant supplier, so for every $100 sale, we got $97 from the card company, and they kept $3. ie: 3% for one months credit supply to their card holder. If they can keep that going, that's quite a return, especially as the card company/bank didn't pay us immediately anyway.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:52 am
ABCDiamond

Yes, we already established that.

I thought it was more of a store card than a general credit card.
That was on the next page, I didn't get to see that till after I replied