Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying a house ??

Buying a house ??

Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough
Default Buying a house ??

How does it work when buying a house ???

Say if it is up for i.e $500,000 what would seem like a reasonable offer.

Because i do like to barter

Do you go in with %5 less than the asking price or is the price fixed ?? (in general)

As we arrive there in 10 days (gold coast)

Lesley
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:12 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Buying a house ??

Originally Posted by JJL family
How does it work when buying a house ???

Say if it is up for i.e $500,000 what would seem like a reasonable offer.

Because i do like to barter

Do you go in with %5 less than the asking price or is the price fixed ?? (in general)

As we arrive there in 10 days (gold coast)

Lesley
Try 10% less, $450k. Or even less!!

Then they will come back with maybe $490k, then you put 455k, etc etc

It is rarely fixed. I have a house for sale that i'd be happy with $290k, the agent suggested $335k (I think that was the figure), no hurry to sell, so I have it up at that price.

So a 13.4% drop on mine would get a sale

Two of my last three purchases have been at about 10% less than asking price. Even my last one, at the height of the boom, I got 4% off, and that was when houses sold within days or hours of being on the market.

Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that ABCD!!

Always nice to know.

What would the overall cost be approximately be then if they accepted $450,000 i.e stamp duty, estate agency fees, etc,.

Last edited by JJL family; Jun 6th 2005 at 10:24 am.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:09 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJL family
Thanks for that ABCD!!

Always nice to know.

What would the overall cost be approximately be then if they accepted $450,000 i.e stamp duty, estate agency fees, etc,.
it depends on the state as they are all different. remember you will be eligible for the first homebuyers grant. $7000 dollars atleast. look at this site as it has all the links ans info. www.realestate.com.au