Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$ AD 2.66 per U.K. Pound, not good :( [pankala-PB ding-dong]

$ AD 2.66 per U.K. Pound, not good :( [pankala-PB ding-dong]

Old Mar 4th 2003, 4:49 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $ AD 2.66 per U.K. Pound, not good :(

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
This has to be a wind up, please someone tel me that its gonna go up again

Hoping it look's better in a couple of months time, but who know's ...

Cheers,
Oh joy is me what a good news for a boy on his way back home.

AUSTRALIA'S dollar has shot above 61 US cents for the first time in nearly three years as investors finally paid heed to the country's strong economic performance.

And the local currency's momentum is not expected to come to a grinding halt any time soon.

The Australian dollar stormed to a peak of 61.50 US cents in overnight trade, its highest level since March 29, 2000.

Since the new year the local currency has rallied more than five US cents and only last week it jumped the psychological barrier of 60 US cents.
As well, the Australian dollar is at its highest level since early December against the euro and is as its highest level against the British pound since mid-June 2002. At 1330 AEDT the Australian dollar was buying 56.29 euro and 38.81 pound.

While this is all good news for the national psyche and Australians travelling overseas, the rising Australian dollar is another kick in the guts for drought-stricken farmers.

"The biggest losers from a high dollar are always the farmers because virtually all of their exports are priced in US dollars," Westpac head of economics Bill Evans said.

"The tourism industry is (also) affected by a high dollar and we've seen a disappointing trend in tourism for the last couple of years now."

Old Mar 4th 2003, 6:28 am
pankala

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Oh joy is me what a good news for a boy on his way back home.

Marvelous what a difference a few days make!!!

The ALL NEW Pommie Bounder, able to leap over wide oceans, quick as a Scot chasing a dropped shilling.

Old Mar 4th 2003, 6:36 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pankala
Marvelous what a difference a few days make!!!

The ALL NEW Pommie Bounder, able to leap over wide oceans, quick as a Scot chasing a dropped shilling.
Well every clould has a silver lining so its said, your remarks about the skirted ones are true but not the done thing in a muti-racial country.
My abacus is on fire with the calcultions concerning the rubber dollar against the Bettys groat , off to happy hour to drink a pint that is getting cheaper by the day given the rubber dollars rise .

Old Mar 4th 2003, 7:00 am
pankala

Well every clould has a silver lining so its said, your remarks about the skirted ones are true but not the done thing in a muti-racial country.
My abacus is on fire with the calcultions concerning the rubber dollar against the Bettys groat , off to happy hour to drink a pint that is getting cheaper by the day given the rubber dollars rise .

Drinking the day's profits? See ya back at the grind.

Old Mar 8th 2003, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

The amount of quids you bring will set up some what but will the rubbler dollar and low wage levels wipe out the rate exchange gains you will find in no time that you yet again have a mortgage at higher rates than the UK and less cash to pay it.
Apart from that I hope that the the rubber dollar bonces back up to 2-1 maybe my lucks in.

The rate has improved slightly 2.62, moving in the right direction for us pommies moving to OZ

So much for the rubber pound it is at its lowest for 4 years v's all currencies,

Council tax 5 times rate of inflation, 1270 qiud pa yuk,

Cheers dooodies,
Old Mar 8th 2003, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

The rate has improved slightly 2.62, moving in the right direction for us pommies moving to OZ

So much for the rubber pound it is at its lowest for 4 years v's all currencies,

Cheers dooodies,
2.612 $ per squidlit
Old Mar 8th 2003, 3:33 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers dooodies,

don't want to get in a ding-dong here...but pound has been most stable currency in world over last five years (on trade-weighted basis).
Old Mar 8th 2003, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sully4441
Please forgive a stupid question, but how closely linked are the currencies of NZ and AUS? My local travel agent posts the same rate for both, 2.66 when I looked today. Has this always been the case?
Just curious
LMS
Change your pounds into AUS dollars at your local agent and then change them back somewhere else (should be about a 2.47 rate for travel money). You might make a killing if you change enough!

NZ travel money rate is about 2.66 now. It seems to be moving up, was 3 cents lower a couple of days ago.
Old Mar 8th 2003, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by AndrewR
don't want to get in a ding-dong here...but pound has been most stable currency in world over last five years (on trade-weighted basis).
Yes it was, but the pound is at it's lowest for 4 years

Cheers,
Old Mar 13th 2003, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes it was, but the pound is at it's lowest for 4 years

Cheers,
OK lets drag this thread out the archives ...

Today's rate $2,708 rubber dollars per loverly juberly UK pound

When the interest rates go up here in the UK that plastic dollar had better watch OUT ...

Any experts know otherwise EH ! , PB ...

Cheers,
Old Mar 13th 2003, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

breadman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exchange

It can keep dropping for now ive got 800 dollars here maybe it will pay for my migration lmao
Old Mar 13th 2003, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , just waiting for my commonwealth bank account to be processed and I'll be tansferring some in the hope that on average I'll gain some, and kick myself on others.
I'll be glad when this bit's done

Mash...

When the interest rates go up here in the UK that plastic dollar had better watch OUT ...

Cheers,
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:43 pm
Banned

Cheers,
You are right about interest rate it attracts overseas money and right now theres talk of raising them higher in Australia where as the UK are lower and still falling as are Americas ,they seem to think the economy in Australia is booming the age old way to level it out is higher interest rates.

Old Mar 14th 2003, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are right about interest rate it attracts overseas money and right now theres talk of raising them higher in Australia where as the UK are lower and still falling as are Americas ,they seem to think the economy in Australia is booming the age old way to level it out is higher interest rates.

Yes you are right too, if they do raise the rates in OZ that will mean a stronger rubber dollar, and for us Pommies swopping our luverly jubberly pounds er we dont want that ...

Do you think if interest rates go up in oz that this will stuff the real estate market a bit ???

Property prices in the UK are a big joke now, don't know how folk afford to buy and you get very little for you wonger £££,

Cheers,
Old Mar 14th 2003, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Yes you are right too, if they do raise the rates in OZ that will mean a stronger rubber dollar, and for us Pommies swopping our luverly jubberly pounds er we dont want that ...

Do you think if interest rates go up in oz that this will stuff the real estate market a bit ???

Property prices in the UK are a big joke now, don't know how folk afford to buy and you get very little for you wonger £££,

Cheers,
A recent news item on Oz TV this week in the Business Report reckoned that by sometime in 2004 (can`t remember if they said exactly when) Oz rates may peak at 10%. They also reckoned that this would cause a crash in the Oz property market... However, it`s all only a "forecast" isn`t it. The trouble is, on either side of the world,so much can happen to change things - who really knows what will happen? Personally, I don`t even think the "experts" really know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.