British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   $$$$ feel like monopoly money (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/%24%24%24%24-feel-like-monopoly-money-214433/)

hevs Mar 3rd 2004 7:04 am

$$$$ feel like monopoly money

Does anyone else find that they seem to spend their Aussie dollar quicker than the old GBP?
A $50 goes nowhere! We took $300 cash out on saturday evening and it was gone by sunday. OK we did pay for a meal, a tanker of water and the Berwick show, but even so it seems to drain through my fingers like water. I think especially more so now that the pounds have been spent and we are earning dollars!!

DianeOZ Mar 3rd 2004 7:18 am

Don't get me started on that one. Well, we are living the dream aren't we so maybe we are in Monopoly land & it really is Monopoly money.

I am forever digging into the emergency fund by the bed (:confused: ), I mean went to the video shop last night to find I had $7 in overdues!!! Eeek, I only had $4 in my purse. The kids need $5 each for some school incursion thing and then I always run out of bread and fruit and thats another $30 and then of course the beer runs out, that's another $30! Oh sorry not drinking - scrap that one, then there's the phone bill and the car rego - I'm going to stop now!!

Have a nice day at Pall Mall

Vegemite Kids Mar 3rd 2004 7:21 am

Funny you should mention that. I feel exactly the same about the Euro. Definately feel more like monopoly money than DM's ever did and lasts nowhere near as long.

Pollster Mar 3rd 2004 7:24 am

I am glad it isn't just me - managed to spend $1000 today :eek: - Ok I bought a sooper dooper Goretex jacket thing - but where did the remaining $400 go?:confused:

hevs Mar 3rd 2004 8:18 am

Originally posted by Pollster
I am glad it isn't just me - managed to spend $1000 today :eek: - Ok I bought a sooper dooper Goretex jacket thing - but where did the remaining $400 go?:confused:
You spent HOW MUCH on a jacket:eek:

dotty Mar 3rd 2004 8:42 am

Originally posted by hevs
You spent HOW MUCH on a jacket:eek:
I was just thinking $600 for a jacket thats probably the average NZ income for a family for a week
:scared:

As for aussie dollars not going far, they dont, $50.00 is like lunch money, fill a couple of kids tuckshop bags, buy a couple of coffees a magazine and a sandwich and its nearly gone! I did think about this today, kids threw in 3 chocolate bars with the Petrol, $1.90 each!!! A little flashback of 33P a bar came into my head.
I would not like to be hard up here.

This forums always making me think about how much we spend:D After the grocery debates, I really did manage to chop abut $50.00 a week off the grocery bill, but it meant shopping in 3 different places so sorry its back to $250.00 a week on food for us, but we do keep a teen:eek: Oh yeah and my husband declared the homebrand tea bags taste like pee and threw them out.

MikeStanton Mar 3rd 2004 8:46 am

Originally posted by dotty
...the homebrand tea bags taste like pee and threw them out.
Absolutely. Still, saves time, doesn't it? :)

hevs Mar 3rd 2004 8:48 am

Originally posted by dotty
so sorry its back to $250.00 a week on food for us,
Yep, its about the same for us, we have 2 kids and 2 dogs though:D
I know what he means about pee t bags, i drink it black and cheap bags really taste rank! BTW i got laughed out of town when i offered my tree loppers a cup of tea:D

ANA123 Mar 3rd 2004 8:59 am

Have tried 5 different teas in 10 days...twinnings is winning so far, but each time I go to try more t-bags I also find about $100 other stuff that I 'need' in the supermarket.
Must stop spending soon......

karawara88 Mar 3rd 2004 9:02 am

It may as well be monopoly money, its not worth anything anywhere else. :cool:

jayr Mar 3rd 2004 9:50 am

Originally posted by mcmercer
Have tried 5 different teas in 10 days...twinnings is winning so far, but each time I go to try more t-bags I also find about $100 other stuff that I 'need' in the supermarket.
Must stop spending soon......

Yorkshire Tea is avilable (don't drink tea myself) but at $7 for 40 bags its not cheap, in fact you'll only find it in the expensive foods section at Myer and DJs

jayr Mar 3rd 2004 9:54 am

Got the $90 stationery bill, $150 soccer fees, $90 for drama club, and the $400 bill for Kindie for the little one all coming up, need someone to land on Mayfair:(

Sandra Mar 3rd 2004 11:09 am

Tea Bags! - we have two stores, normal ones, Tetley etc for those who like tea, and the homebrand store for me! I LIKE MY TEA LIKE KNATS PEE - OK!

Jayr - scouts like a per annum fee paid in advance (no weekly subs here) $300 for us! And extra $ for individual events!

Monopoly - I want to pay Cluedo.......pass me the rope! When it comes to money I thought I had a purse now I have a sieve.

It is worse though in Auckland.....I actually take round my Sydney bills and compare now before I buy. You can guess how I smell I am am living on Watties Beans (same label - same Heinz) - but $2.80 a tin!!

NO IT IS NOT FUNNY!

:beer: :beer: - $6.50 a pint best I have got so far, and do not dare compare back to pounds - I do not earn pounds

cheers sandra

karawara88 Mar 3rd 2004 11:37 am

Monopoly - I want to pay Cluedo.......pass me the rope! When it comes to money I thought I had a purse now I have a sieve.
:D :D :D

We kept £100 in sterling (notes and change) just so occasionaly we could look at real money. :)

Not long to go and we can get back to the real world earning money that actually goes somewhere.

Donna sent out an email to test the waters for work back home, already has two job offers both 15 mins from home.

6 months in Perth and not a dicky bird, and we were wondering if we were doing the right thing going back.

:PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:

tiredwithtwins Mar 3rd 2004 12:34 pm

Does it still wash well???? I remember washing $10 in the back pocket of my jeans and it came out sparkling!!
The £100 in fivers I washed last week however came out a right mess and only 4 notes could be saved!!!!!!!

*mental note - check jeans pockets before washing*

:rolleyes: