Reload this Page >

Vancouver or Halifax

Vancouver or Halifax

Old May 10th 2004, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Ilyria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver or Halifax

Hi , to all of you :

Well,the more I read topics posted by other users,with different opinions and experiences about Canada,the more uncertain I become in choosing the right place to live in Canada,so my intended destination there becomes undetermined.
As I'm still in immigration process,I'd like ti ask any of of you,which one is a better place to live Vancouver or Halifax ?
So my point in this question is ;the cost of living, job opportunities,community,rate of criminality...etc..
The whether and natural beauties are not the points of my question as I'm fully awared of,that none of the other provinces of Canada has more to offer in this dimension(direction)than the province of British-Columbia.

Thank you
Old May 10th 2004, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Vancouver or Halifax

Originally posted by Ilyria
Hi , to all of you :

Well,the more I read topics posted by other users,with different opinions and experiences about Canada,the more uncertain I become in choosing the right place to live in Canada,so my intended destination there becomes undetermined.
As I'm still in immigration process,I'd like ti ask any of of you,which one is a better place to live Vancouver or Halifax ?
So my point in this question is ;the cost of living, job opportunities,community,rate of criminality...etc..
The whether and natural beauties are not the points of my question as I'm fully awared of,that none of the other provinces of Canada has more to offer in this dimension(direction)than the province of British-Columbia.

Thank you

hi

ive never been to vancover so im afraid i cant give you personal comparisons but saying that a friend of mine went to vancover last year and said that it was very busy and built up. i live in halifax and its very very quiet and friendly here. to buy a house here in nova scotia i beleive its a lot cheaper than BC. as for crime here, i think ive said before that if you are involved in something illegal or rubbed someone up the wrong way then expect to get your head kicked in. when i first moved here there was a spate of about 3 killings in a matter of weeks and i thought oh hell this is worse than bristol (where im from) but theres been nothing since. i think the worst crime ive seen since then is the game of mailbox baseball (driving along with a baseball bat hanging out of car window and knocking the mailboxes down as you drive past!). i allow my 8 year old daughter to walk the street on her own now without any worries.

sorry i cant compare too much to that of BC but i had to get my 2 cents worth about it around here

good luck with everything
Old May 10th 2004, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi , to all of you :

Thank you

oh and the other thing i found here which i have been told from people from other provinces is that its a nova scotia thing, everyone waves to you!!! no matter where you are walking around here you are bound to get atleast one person wave out to you. i used to think they had all escaped from somewhere but i now know how friendly everyone is here
Old May 10th 2004, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Ilyria is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Ukjo,thank you very much in your reply.
One important thing to say,you I've found a courage in your reply.

also thanks to all other members of this forum, you're excellent,and keep posting,as your advice and experience can ease off our concerns.
Old May 10th 2004, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Ukjo, A big wave for you! I have been in Nova Scotia a long time and I find it a great place to live. It is small and convienent to get around. The people are so friendly as well.
Old May 10th 2004, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Hi , to all of you :

Well,the more I read topics posted by other users,with different opinions and experiences about Canada,the more uncertain I become in choosing the right place to live in Canada...
Is there a reason you have narrowed the selection to two cities? There may be other places of interest.
Old May 10th 2004, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Corky
Ukjo, A big wave for you! I have been in Nova Scotia a long time and I find it a great place to live. It is small and convienent to get around. The people are so friendly as well.
hi corky

am getting around to replying to your mail. been burnt to a cinder in the yard today so tomorrow im strapped to the computer so i dont head outside!!!!!
Old May 10th 2004, 10:51 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Hi , to all of you :

Thank you
Certainly it's reasonable to say that BC is Canada's most beautiful province.

Metro Vancouver has a population of about 2.2 million, whereas Halifax is a little under 400,000. In general, job opportunities would be better in Vancouver, and the pay would be a lot higher in comparison to Halifax. However, Vancouver's cost of housing is the highest in Canada. Yes, it's even higher than the cost of housing in Toronto - by about 10-15%.

Vancouver has a big problem with robbers breaking into cars and homes. I believe that Halifax would be a lot better in that regard.

Halifax has become the largest urban center in Atlantic Canada, and is a magnet for young adults moving away from smaller towns in that region of Canada. Halifax is somewhat of a bright spot in a rather economically depressed part of the country.

Considering it's weather, size, economy and employment opportunities, Halifax is surprisingly (to me anyway) popular on this forum with British expats. But if you want a quiet city by the sea with lots of history (for Canada), Halifax may be the place for you. I was there the summer before last.

Last edited by oceanMDX; May 10th 2004 at 10:53 pm.
Old May 11th 2004, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

gsmith1610 will become famous soon enough

We have recently moved to Vancouver and love it.

I have seen various comments regarding crime etc. Crime is apparent wherever you go and i guess is more prevelant within Inner City areas.

We love Vancouver because it has a great opportunities. It is also close to some of the most beautiful areas in Canada. There is lots to do in Vancouver (great for visiting relatives).

You have stanley park, grouse mountain, whistler only about 2 hours drive, the Rockies (granted a bit of a drive), Seattle close by, Victoria...the list is endless.

We live in the Yaletown area which is right besides the Waterfront. We have experienced no crime and feel very safe and secure. Having said that, if we were to go into Downtown Vancouver late at night and venture around the Hastings area, then i would paint a different picture.

If you like living further from the city, try North Van or over by UBC. House prices in Vancouver are some of the highest in Canada, and that is also worth considering when thinking of where and when to buy! Not sure of the average house price, but the average condo price in downtown is anywhere between $350-$530 CAD for a 2 bed + den.

We love the cosmopolitan vibe that Yaletown brings. Especially on a hot day sat outside some of the fab cafes etc. There is lots of cool shops around Yaletown, plus the heart of downtown is only 10-15 mins walk.

vancouver is great for business and creating business opportunities. Not sure about the job market though!

I think the main decision has to be based upon why you wish to relocate. It also depends upon the stage of your life. We are in our mid twenties with no kids, so we were looking for a young, cosmo city life.

I think in 5-8 years we will hopefully move more over to North Vancouver, towards Grouse Mountain......more tranquil and away from the hussle and bussle.

I can not comment about other places in Canada, i have yet to get around the whole place.

At the mo, Vancouver gets my vote.

Good luck
Old May 12th 2004, 3:46 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

check out this BC advert...

http://www.gov.bc.ca/bvprd/bc/conten...AV_ID_province

Clare

(Mind you - house prices in Halifax are WAY lower....
Old May 12th 2004, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ClareBC

Clare

Thanks for that link Clare. I have been wanting to find it to send back to family and friends...so they can see how nice BC is? None of them have visited yet!

Thanks again.
Old May 12th 2004, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ClareBC

Clare