Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Are you Paying your taxes?

Are you Paying your taxes?

Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:54 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are you Paying your taxes?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21064030

Interesting BBC article at link - in summary they say:

Tax evasion in Italy has been a chronic problem for generations. The authorities say the equivalent of nearly 120bn euros (£100bn, $160bn) worth of revenue is lost every year. And the nation's army of tax inspectors desperately needs more firepower.

But some commentators have been outraged by this month's launch of what is called the Redditometro - the Income Meter.

There is a link to download the Redditest app at bottom of article to see whether you need to flee the country

also this was interesting:

Italian Government spending 2010 was 782bn euros, of which:
Defence 22bn euros
Public order and safety 30bn euros
Health 118bn euros
Education 69bn euros
Social protection 317bn euros.
Source: Eurostat

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Jan 21st 2013 at 12:54 pm. Reason: attribution
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you Paying your taxes?

During my working and business life I have paid more in tax than many people have probasbly earned. I have also probably and unashamedly done many cash in hand deals. I presume you also read the piece on the morality or otherwise of this in the accompanying article; and the idea of privacy totally trampled on. At the end of November I paid 800 eurines tax on a company dividend of 2400 eurines ; with a total pension now of 570 eurines permonth! I most certainly find the idea of the redditometro a completely police state idea. But then, sadly, that is much of Italian life in the 21st. century. See ILVA situation, and others like it. Now enjoying the comic opera politics cartoons.
'Più bleck d'o' midneit non pu' veni'

ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:08 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
During my working and business life I have paid more in tax than many people have probasbly earned. I have also probably and unashamedly done many cash in hand deals. I presume you also read the piece on the morality or otherwise of this in the accompanying article; and the idea of privacy totally trampled on. At the end of November I paid 800 eurines tax on a company dividend of 2400 eurines ; with a total pension now of 570 eurines permonth! I most certainly find the idea of the redditometro a completely police state idea. But then, sadly, that is much of Italian life in the 21st. century. See ILVA situation, and others like it. Now enjoying the comic opera politics cartoons.
'Più bleck d'o' midneit non pu' veni'

ciao for now,
'o nonno
Yes I read it and to be clear my view is that the crooks operating in high finance, politics and big business with smart lawyers and accountants will continue to avoid and evade, therby paying a fraction of what they should.

My worry is that his tool will be used to hit the middle class hard, it seems to me a bit like the CSA in UK who were set up, purportedly, to hunt down absent fathers but instead went after all those who were already paying maintenance and increased their charge whilst never making any real effort on to track down the non-payers.

Police state is maybe a bit over dramatic but I concur with the sentiment.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

The fish stinks from the head.
You can not blame the electrician or another workman having cash in hand when the members of Parliament employ admin helps all in 'nero', thus avoiding tax.
Also, many people begrudge the high taxes, but it is a vicious circle, the taxes are high, people avoid paying them, while the taxes are high because they can not be collected.Of course, this is how I see it, it might not be entirely correct.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

That's right Isakat .. if only they would go for the ones who *really do* evade taxes, not the "couples, families,.." etc..

That said, I'd be more than happy for them to come and check mine, so I could moan about how much tax I pay as a dipendente, consumer, etc.

The whole Guardia di Finanza is a "Police State" establishment anyway. What about when they stop you in your car to see if you're smuggling anything illegal in the boot?? Once I had all my shopping in the car and they got me to show the receipt from the bloomin' Coop.

But don't get me started on the various police forces who stop you in your car for no reason ...
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

I think the only thing in Italy that is not taxed is the air we breath. But I understand they are working on that.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
I think the only thing in Italy that is not taxed is the air we breath. But I understand they are working on that.
Actually air conditioning in public offices is funded by the tax-payer in theory
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Actually air conditioning in public offices is funded by the tax-payer in theory
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

That's right Isakat .. if only they would go for the ones who *really do* evade taxes, not the "couples, families,.." etc..

That said, I'd be more than happy for them to come and check mine, so I could moan about how much tax I pay as a dipendente, consumer, etc.

The whole Guardia di Finanza is a "Police State" establishment anyway. What about when they stop you in your car to see if you're smuggling anything illegal in the boot?? Once I had all my shopping in the car and they got me to show the receipt from the bloomin' Coop.

But don't get me started on the various police forces who stop you in your car for no reason ...
...and of course the Equitalia arm of said tax collecting agencies!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

We're fed up of being stopped by the GdF because of the car. Last time they stopped us, the officer asked us if we had already had an income check and OH said: Yes, I've got a collection, which one do you .... December, November, October, September .... etc.!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pugliese
We're fed up of being stopped by the GdF because of the car. Last time they stopped us, the officer asked us if we had already had an income check and OH said: Yes, I've got a collection, which one do you .... December, November, October, September .... etc.!
They've obviously targeted you! Do I remember right that you have a B&B or something?