Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Traditional Sunday Roast

Traditional Sunday Roast

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Mr_Jackson is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Traditional Sunday Roast

I have been living in Italy for going on 5 years, moving from a good old industrial northern town, so over the years became accustomed to a good old sunday roast with all the trimmings and REAL gravywhich I just don't seem to be able to find here. I have only today found this forum. So I pose the question. How many of you crave a proper sunday roast on a regular basis, and favourite meat/trimmings combos.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:24 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traditional Sunday Roast

Originally Posted by Mr_Jackson
I have been living in Italy for going on 5 years, moving from a good old industrial northern town, so over the years became accustomed to a good old Sunday roast with all the trimmings and REAL gravy which I just don't seem to be able to find here. I have only today found this forum. So I pose the question. How many of you crave a proper sunday roast on a regular basis, and favourite meat/trimmings combos.
Hello Mr_Jackson and welcome to B.E.

As you can see I'm not in Italy. I'm lucky that in Australia the Sunday roast is alive and kicking (well, until it's cooked that is).

So, I don't miss it but I'm sure that lots do (even if they don't admit it).

Enjoy B.E.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

When I have guests from the UK they usually bring me a supply of gravy granules - can'T get dripping though to do the taties.

Last edited by Patty; Nov 2nd 2012 at 2:51 pm. Reason: sorry should've read can't
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

I make my own gravy , my Mum alwys has and I learnt from her . I find it hard to get really good beef here and the lamb is just awful but my family a used to regular helpings of duck / pork / chicken + all the trimmings .
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
I make my own gravy , my Mum alwys has and I learnt from her . I find it hard to get really good beef here and the lamb is just awful but my family a used to regular helpings of duck / pork / chicken + all the trimmings .
My mum has struggled with gravy ever since Burdsells (sp) disappeared. I bring Bisto over although I have been known to make gravy with Marmite. We don't eat roast beef here either. Lots of chicken and pork instead.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 6:26 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I love a spit roast with splashings of natural juices. We also brought over Bisto gravy powder however it's remained unused.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr_Jackson
I have been living in Italy for going on 5 years, moving from a good old industrial northern town, so over the years became accustomed to a good old sunday roast with all the trimmings and REAL gravywhich I just don't seem to be able to find here. I have only today found this forum. So I pose the question. How many of you crave a proper sunday roast on a regular basis, and favourite meat/trimmings combos.
In our own kitchen we don't do Sunday roasts because Donna C. doesn't 'do' them. We are strictly Italian here when it comes to meals. However, last Sunday no. 2 son invited us for lunch, and produced a complete Sunday roast; roast spuds, brussel sprouts, roast beef, and a wonderful gravy ( I know he has bought some Bisto granules in UK). The only thing is, he can't make Yorkshire pud. As we speak he is in UK for a trade fair, and may buy some ready mix Yorkshire pud.
ciao for now
'o nonno
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 8:42 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I make a Sunday roast here but not necessarily always on a Sunday and not always at lunch time either.

I agree that it's hard to find a very good "proper joint" of meat here. Chicken and pork is of course dead easy and for beef, I usually buy a nice fillet or something and then slice it. My muslim neighbours told me they get their lamb in a halal butcher's in town so occasionally I go there and buy some. In the past I have also brought over a nice big, ham joint from the UK.

I have learnt to make Yorkshire Puds instead of using packets and they come out great (thanks Jamie Oliver). I brought cornflour to make my own gravy but I sometimes use Bisto.

We have a mix of English and Italian food so I also make Cottage Pie, sausage rolls, Cornish Pasties etc. Made a fair bit of homemade coleslaw this summer and pickled some red beetroot too ........ would have been fab with a thick slice of pork pie but I can't make that and won't attempt to.

Never cooked a sprout in this house and never will. Mum made me eat three of the vomit inducing things every Wednesday and every week I tried to find a way to get rid of them. First lesson learnt was that even the dog wouldn't eat them!
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Good roast beef is difficult to find, but a good alternative is a joint of veal, wrapped up with pancetta slices. The meat is tender and juicy.
We always have parsnips in the fridge( OH stocks up when in the UK) and we make our own gravy which is much better than Bisto.
OH makes great Yorkshire puddings( he has to- he comes from Yorkshire), but we only eat sprouts at Christmas and cooked with pancetta.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

We also ask friends to bring oxo and bisto when they fly over to stay. I am flying to the UK next week on a shopping expedition.

Lamb is dreadful over here it is a bit like stringy goat. We have a great butcher who butchers his own cows!!!! and the beef is pretty good. But they cut the joints differently.

Mrs Sensible makes the Yorkshire puddings, I do the mash potatoes.

We don't do Sunday Lunch every Sunday just when we really fancy a change from Italian food. I am also amazed at the preparation, number of pans, amount of washing up after a sunday lunch. Mrs Sensible can create a great pasta dish with one frying pan a pot of boiling water for the pasta and apparently very little ingredients, maybe just stuff she finds in the fridge that needs cooking.

She is a good cook, which reminds me I need to start running again.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of

Make your own gravy. It's really easy and much yummier.