Thatcher dead

Old Apr 9th 2013, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Thatcher dead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22067155

I'm half a day late with the news...thought someone might have started a discussion ..

What's your Thatcher story?

Mine is that if it hadn't been for MT I would not have ended up learning Italian and thus living in Italy ... In 1981/82 I had originally applied to Lancaster University to take a degree in German and Russian Studies .. then during that year Maggie decided to cut university spending (as well) and so 'commie' friendly subjects like Russian were out! I had to make a quick decision to either change uni or choose another langauge/subject .. I chose to stay at Lancaster and take Italian Studies instead. The rest is history.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thatcher dead

Well, I see nobody gives a monkey's but anyway I thought this was quite funny ... in an ironical, British sort of way..

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_3051382.html

Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:00 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Well, I see nobody gives a monkey's but anyway I thought this was quite funny ... in an ironical, British sort of way..

Mark - there is a big, and heated, discussion in the take it outside forum, which is probably why your thread did not grow wings.

HP article is classic British humour - made me chuckle, thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Garbs .. I saw that one too.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:16 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD

Didn't see your first post, but I wasn't going to post on this one either because I am appalled and ashamed of being British at the sight of the football hooligan style manifestations, especially from people who weren't even around pre-Thatcher.

Whether we agree with what she and parliament did, this was a woman, the first female PM, who was for 3 times, handed a mandate by a majority vote of the British public. She did her job and deserves respect. RIP Maggie.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:07 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Didn't see your first post, but I wasn't going to post on this one either because I am appalled and ashamed of being British at the sight of the football hooligan style manifestations, especially from people who weren't even around pre-Thatcher.

Whether we agree with what she and parliament did, this was a woman, the first female PM, who was for 3 times, handed a mandate by a majority vote of the British public. She did her job and deserves respect. RIP Maggie.

The Hungarian guy in myoffice said that he did not realise how many maleducati there were in Britain and he believes they would have been arrested in his country for such ignorance and disrespect. I don't think he is wrong!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

It's quite surprising really. I don't think we've seen anything like it in British history for a long time.
Thatcher was a woman of extremes right to the end..and beyond.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:51 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

The Pope and Margaret Thatcher are on the same stage in front of a huge crowd.

The ex-PM and His Holiness, however, have seen it all before, so to make it a little more interesting, Maggie says to the Pope, "did you know that, with just one little wave of my hand, I can make every Conservative in the crowd go wild?"

He doubts it, so she shows him. Sure enough, the wave elicits rapture and cheering from every Conservative in the crowd. Gradually, the cheering subsides.

The Pope, not wanting to be out done by such a level of arrogance, considers what he could do. "That was impressive, but did you know that, with just one little wave of my hand, I can make every person in the crowd go crazy with joy? This joy will not be a momentary display, like that of your subjects, but will go deep into their hearts and they will forever speak of this day and rejoice."

Thatcher seriously doubts this and says so. "One little wave of your hand and all people will rejoice forever? Show me."

So the Pope punched her.
Old Apr 13th 2013, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike

The Hungarian guy in myoffice said that he did not realise how many maleducati there were in Britain and he believes they would have been arrested in his country for such ignorance and disrespect. I don't think he is wrong!