Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Teaching in Rome - Partita IVA???

Teaching in Rome - Partita IVA???

Old Jun 7th 2014, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

ladypenelope will become famous soon enoughladypenelope will become famous soon enough
Default Teaching in Rome - Partita IVA???

Hi everyone on the forum.

I've been living in the Rome province for 15 years, I was working as a 'commerciale estero' for 10 years until I was made redundant last December. I used some of my redundancy money to do the CELTA. I am now a newly qualified teacher (although I do have previous experience of teaching English when I first arrived in Italy).

I have sent my CV to endless schools, some by email, some I left a copy by hand. I havent had may replies and those that did reply said that I need a partita IVA.

Could anyone kindly shed some light on the situation for English teaching in Rome? I understand from the advice at the CGIL that I shouldnìt work with a partita IVA as I would need to pay tax in advance for 2015 and that I can't technically work for one school with a partita IVA. They said I shouldnt work without a temporary contract.

Is there much work in Rome to get by? Should I apply for work in September (is there more chance then) or should I think about working in another part of Italy, if so which areas are best for finding work teaching.

I worked in export sales for 10 years so I have good knowledge of Business English. In the summer I am going to the UK for 2 months to teach young learners.

Please your advice would be really welcome, my money is running out and I need to find work by November latest.

Thanks!! Kathy
Old Jun 8th 2014, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default Re: Teaching in Rome - Partita IVA???

Originally Posted by ladypenelope
Hi everyone on the forum.

I've been living in the Rome province for 15 years, I was working as a 'commerciale estero' for 10 years until I was made redundant last December. I used some of my redundancy money to do the CELTA. I am now a newly qualified teacher (although I do have previous experience of teaching English when I first arrived in Italy).

I have sent my CV to endless schools, some by email, some I left a copy by hand. I havent had may replies and those that did reply said that I need a partita IVA.

Could anyone kindly shed some light on the situation for English teaching in Rome? I understand from the advice at the CGIL that I shouldnìt work with a partita IVA as I would need to pay tax in advance for 2015 and that I can't technically work for one school with a partita IVA. They said I shouldnt work without a temporary contract.

Is there much work in Rome to get by? Should I apply for work in September (is there more chance then) or should I think about working in another part of Italy, if so which areas are best for finding work teaching.

I worked in export sales for 10 years so I have good knowledge of Business English. In the summer I am going to the UK for 2 months to teach young learners.

Please your advice would be really welcome, my money is running out and I need to find work by November latest.

Thanks!! Kathy
All I know about that sort of work is what others have told me.

This VAT number thing sounds strange though. Are you sure it's right ? How do language schools manage to find their teachers if they all have to have a VAT number, especially if (if I understand you right) it means they're going to have to pay tax this year on what they're expecting to earn next year ? Or were you just talking about normal state schools ?

Knowing real business English and knowing how to teach very young children should - I think - be very big pluses for you.

Italy being Italy, I'd expect a lot of schools - language schools and state schools - to start seriously looking for teachers towards the end of August.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Teaching in Rome - Partita IVA???

I don't think you'll need a P.IVA for occasional work, although I think there is a limit.

I did a few hours for a scuola media last year and they only asked for my Codice fiscale.

Probably not the best time to look for teaching work in Italy although perhaps there are some places offering summer courses, esp in Rome I would've thought.

If you are thinking of going completely autonoma though you will need a P.IVA even though it's tough.

Good luck.