Homesickness

Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by ononno
Oh yes; we all get homesick sometimes. I think you feel the need to get back to your roots; where you went to school, the countryside where you played, the towns where you went to the wakes week funfairs. I....
'o nonno
I was expecting such words of wisdom from 'o nonno, and you are spot on .. I did just that when I went through a major crisis some years agom, and it worked ..

Originally Posted by Engliano
Well Mark, considering this forum is fairly anonymous....and the site wont let me fill in my details no-one should know me from adam....
Thanks for sharing Engli! I suppose everyone has their own experiences, and each will also have their reason for moving away in the first place.
I don't necessarily miss the family that much. I have an older sister who has been over only twice (for about 5 days in total!)in all these years. We've never really been that close..chalk and cheese...

Homesickness isn't just family though is it?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

of course one good reason not to move back, is because where I came from you get 9 months winter and 3 months bad weather. I'm really enjoying the current 'heatwave'. As far as I remember June/July/August have always been hot here.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Twinkle Canelli
I too sometimes dream of life in British suburbia, but then I think of the awful people packing into Tesco's, trying in vain to find a parking space, rain and grey skies, traffic, road rage..... do I need to go on??
My thoughts exactly. I remember in the winter setting off for work when it was dark damp and dismal and then driving home again dark damp and dismal. Mrs Sensible thinks I am imagining it.

I also don't miss sitting in traffic jams on the motorways or early morning rush hour. The only time I find my self in a traffic jam is trying to get on the ferry in Sicily and on the bad stretch of road on the way south to Calabria.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
My thoughts exactly. I remember in the winter setting off for work when it was dark damp and dismal and then driving home again dark damp and dismal.
Thats they way it is in Parma ! I should never have moved to a land locked place on a foggy plain which is freezing cold and damp in the winter and boiling hot and humid in the summer and yes I was warned ....
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Thats they way it is in Parma ! I should never have moved to a land locked place on a foggy plain which is freezing cold and damp in the winter and boiling hot and humid in the summer and yes I was warned ....
Hi, it is really hot here at the moment, but this morning at 6am fog was rolling down the valley.

They grow the nebbiolo grape here so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that we get a lot of fog.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:34 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pecora Nera
They grow the nebbiolo grape here
Which you can turn in to exceptionally good vino
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
Too right HadEnough ! I think it wouldhave been better to have emigrated further south! It's like when you tell people you live in Italy and they imagine you sitting under an olive tree in your Tuscan farmhouse in Chianti-shire not really doing anything much. .. grrr!
Yes the weather is generally "better" as is the food, but one does miss a spot of rain now and then!
I know the rain has been exceptional in UK this year, but so has the heat here...
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Which you can turn in to exceptionally good vino
The landladies son has a cantina. His vines surround our house, I pay 3.5 eurines a bottle for his red (or 1 euro if I supply the bottles) and 8.5 eurines for his Nebbiolo which is aged in oak barrels for 2 years.

I know I can buy cheaper wine but his wines are excellent. Just grapes no additives and no headache after.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle Canelli
I too sometimes dream of life in British suburbia, but then I think of the awful people packing into Tesco's, trying in vain to find a parking space, rain and grey skies, traffic, road rage..... do I need to go on??
The people packing in Tescos were awful? I'd have them any day over the cashiers chucking my grocery items down the till and then telling me that a certain item's code can not be read, so will I leave it. If I did not want it, it would not be in my basket you moronic cow! Forget asking her for customer help, in the end you either run down the isle to get another( if you really, really want it) or begrudgingly dump the item on the side of the till.

Parking is easy to find, I agree with you as it is handy to park on the pavement, on the zebra crossing or even in a double line blocking someone's exit.
And for road rage, again I agree, there is not really road rage here.
The majority are such selfish, arrogant drivers that when they cut you up, do dangerous maneuvers, do not indicate, drive on the roundabout wrongly, mow you down on the pedestrian crossing, flash their lights for you to to move as if they own the motorway,undertake, etc, noone bats an eyelid as they are all doing it, why should they get upset about it?
Rain : I was dancing with happiness today when I saw the clouds, but it did not rain. My grass is yellow apart for a small lawn that in spite of being watered, is showing signs if drying. The cherry tree is almost dead, the fur trees are yellowing and my 3 monthly water bill ( with sewage charges that I should not have paid for the last 7 years) is 640 euros.

But then we have the beach-queuing for hours on the roads that take you there, driving in circles for parking, paying extortionate prices for a lettino and ombrelone, sitting amongst people who chain smoke and then stub the ciggies in the sand. Then the same in reverse, arriving home sizzled and frazzled.
Shall I go on?
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Isakat
The people packing in Tescos were awful? I'd have them any day over the cashiers chucking my grocery items down the till and then telling me that a certain item's code can not be read, so will I leave it. If I did not want it, it would not be in my basket you moronic cow! Forget asking her for customer help, in the end you either run down the isle to get another( if you really, really want it) or begrudgingly dump the item on the side of the till.

Parking is easy to find, I agree with you as it is handy to park on the pavement, on the zebra crossing or even in a double line blocking someone's exit.
And for road rage, again I agree, there is not really road rage here.
The majority are such selfish, arrogant drivers that when they cut you up, do dangerous maneuvers, do not indicate, drive on the roundabout wrongly, mow you down on the pedestrian crossing, flash their lights for you to to move as if they own the motorway,undertake, etc, noone bats an eyelid as they are all doing it, why should they get upset about it?
Rain : I was dancing with happiness today when I saw the clouds, but it did not rain. My grass is yellow apart for a small lawn that in spite of being watered, is showing signs if drying. The cherry tree is almost dead, the fur trees are yellowing and my 3 monthly water bill ( with sewage charges that I should not have paid for the last 7 years) is 640 euros.

But then we have the beach-queuing for hours on the roads that take you there, driving in circles for parking, paying extortionate prices for a lettino and ombrelone, sitting amongst people who chain smoke and then stub the ciggies in the sand. Then the same in reverse, arriving home sizzled and frazzled.
Shall I go on?
LOL,

We had a great thunder storm last night. I sat and watched the lightning strike the wires that hold the vines in place, lots of noise lots of excitement and less than 5 mins of rain Mrs Sensible still sent me out to water the vegetable patch.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

Shall I go on?[/QUOTE]

When we usually go to Italy on holiday we 'andare al mare' for a week. I adore the sea but its hell with about 15 italians rellies jammed packed on the beach, who never just chill and enjoy! I usually try to loose myself in a book or better still plug in my ipod to blot out the incessant chatter.

When we were in Rome we ended up Ostia but as we hadn't really intended to spend the day at the beach looked a right couple of numptys in our 'tourist' gear
Old Jul 12th 2012, 3:41 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcesine99
When we were in Rome we ended up Ostia but as we hadn't really intended to spend the day at the beach looked a right couple of numptys in our 'tourist' gear
What

You went to Ostia Lido and didn't "fare la bella figura" that must be worse than having bread with pasta
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Twinkle Canelli will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Isakat;10168768]The people packing in Tescos were awful?
QUOTE]

Sorry, my post was badly written there - I meant the customers!!!! The ones that look like that character on TV that says "am I bovvered".... Overweight, tattooed and pierced, with Croydon facelift hairstyles, and trolleys full of mechanically recovered meat products and cases of cheap beer.....
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

malcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nicemalcesine99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
What

You went to Ostia Lido and didn't "fare la bella figura" that must be worse than having bread with pasta
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:47 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get very homesick often, but I'm sure that's because I do go home sometimes, or my family comes here or because I know I could go back anytime.

The anytime aspect means that I don't feel trapped here. There are many things keeping me here, both good and bad, but I don't feel trapped or as if there is no going back. It would be a million times harder to go back now than when I was alone in a furnished monolocale - but not impossible.

If I didn't have the opportunity to go back, do a bit of shopping, get a great bargain, laugh, joke and eat Salt & Vinegar crisps in a pub with a pint of cider - it would all be so much more Italian and I'm not. I still like some of the things I grew up with and although my daily and weekly life is Italian - I am British and I like some of my British stuff. I'll never have a craving for custard or trifle though or worse - Marmite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.