Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Difference between expat and immigrant

Difference between expat and immigrant

Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

mmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond repute
Default Difference between expat and immigrant

Hi, I hope some of you remember me, this was the thread were I talked about myself: http://britishexpats.com/forum/italy...posite-784138/

Anyway, I have been living in the UK for 1 year and 3 months now (1 year in London), and there are still quite a few things I don't get. One of these is the difference between the term 'expat' and 'immigrant'. I googled it, and it seems everyone has a different definition of those terms, especially of expat.

Some say an expat is someone who doesn't have a local job in his host country, and therefore doesn't 'take' anything from it. Some say an expat is someone who has no intention of staying indefinitely or to become a citizen, others say is someone who has skills that enable him to make more than the average in his host country. Others say it's just based on the nationality. If you are from a rich, western (anglo-saxon?) country, you are an expat, otherwise you are an immigrant or a migrant.

I think it's confusing and really I don't know how to define myself: I have no intention of staying indefinitely or getting an UK passport, I make more than the UK national average but I do have a local job (and pay local taxes).

What do you think? Do you consider yourselves immigrants or expats in Italy?

Last edited by mmmmbuti; Sep 9th 2014 at 7:13 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Difference between expat and immigrant

I'm not in Italy. I am originally from the UK & I'm resident in New Zealand & now have NZ citizenship.

I'm an immigrant to the country. A migrant.

Some say an expat is someone who has no intention of staying indefinitely or to become a citizen
I'd go along with that except for the 'no intention to stay'. I'd say it is someone living, working , setting up a home in a country but if they stay or go is undetermined.

If you move to a country with a definite determination to remain then you are an immigrant.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

mmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm not in Italy. I am originally from the UK & I'm resident in New Zealand & now have NZ citizenship.

I'm an immigrant to the country. A migrant.

I'd go along with that except for the 'no intention to stay'. I'd say it is someone living, working , setting up a home in a country but if they stay or go is undetermined.

If you move to a country with a definite determination to remain then you are an immigrant.
Thanks, I tend to agree with you.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

:-) It's really quite simple in my view. I am an immigrant because I moved from my home country to a new country; from UK to Italy. Therefore by definition I am also an expat, because I no longer live in the country of my birth; the (so far) UK.
bye bye dicette l'inglese