Books about Italy

Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of
Default Books about Italy

Thought I'd start this new thread as there seem to be quite a few around, some good, some not.

I am currently reading: Keeping up with the Lawrences: Sicily, Sea and Sardinia revisited - entertaining reconstruction of a journey made by Mr & Mrs D H Lawrence in the 20s.
Will probably read the original when I've finished.

I see that Tim Parks' latest effort Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails from Milan to Palermo has had its price drastically reduced, although still only in hardback (or Kindle).
Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books about Italy

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Thought I'd start this new thread as there seem to be quite a few around, some good, some not.

I am currently reading: Keeping up with the Lawrences: Sicily, Sea and Sardinia revisited - entertaining reconstruction of a journey made by Mr & Mrs D H Lawrence in the 20s.

I see that Tim Parks' latest effort Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails from Milan to Palermo has had its price drastically reduced, although still only in hardback (or Kindle).
I have got the paperbacks Italian Neighbours by Tim Parks and The dark heart of Italy by Tobias Jones, but I have not read them yet.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

I read around 50 books a year.

'A House in Sicily' Daphne Phelps. First published I think in 2000. The original and the best in my opinion of the many 'feelgood' books about Italy.
Could it possibly have inspired others? Hmm.
It's annoying but I can't remember the book or name but it was about Menorca and written maybe 60 years ago. A fantastic travel read as it captured better than anything I've read since, the warmth of people and the feeling of adventure. Nothing to do with Italy but the comparisons are there, unlike say Lawrence who visited Sardinia for only a few days. Must try to dig out the title and author.

'The Dark Heart of Italy'. Thought this was rubbish. Disgusted of Tonbridge Wells. Disillusioned of teaching in Parma. Without even going into the political themes, I seem to remember seriously questioning much of the text especially some of the statiistics presented. The earlier Joe McGuiness, 'The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro' is by far the better read in my opinion. A much more pertinent tale of corruption and although mostly about football (Jones offers a couple of chapters) the deeper undercurrents in everyday life come vividly through.

Last edited by Capo Boi; Jun 7th 2013 at 11:17 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Capo Boi

'A House in Sicily' Daphne Phelps. First published I think in 2000.

'The Dark Heart of Italy'. ..
Cheers Capo. 50 books a year? Blimey ..

A House in Sicily sounds good and myself I've always avoided Dark Heart ..

Going back to Tim Parks, Italian Neighbours was a very good and funny read, although I would thoroughly recommend the follow-up An Italian Education for those bringing up kids in this land.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute

I've never read any Tim Parks. Which one would you recommend to start with Mark?

I can't find the name of this book about Menorca. Maybe Mallorca. Really bugging me. Bought it at an airport about 10 years ago but have probably given it away. About a couple who take a meandering tour around 60 years ago staying in simple accommodation along the way. If anyone can help, would appreciate it. Could well be out of print now.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Pinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond reputePinco Pallino has a reputation beyond repute

"La Bella Lingua: My love affair with Italian, the world's most enchanting language" by Dianne Hales (2010) is excellent and highly recommended.

I have a copy of: "The Pursuit of Italy: A history of a land, its regions and their peoples" by (not the) David Gilmour (2012) sitting on a bookshelf waiting to be read. It looks interesting.

(Tim Parks' "Italian Neighbours" is probably the best one of his to start with: It's a stab at an Italian-style "A Year in Provence" and was his first non-fiction publication.)
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Doris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant future

Cheers Capo. 50 books a year? Blimey ..

A House in Sicily sounds good and myself I've always avoided Dark Heart ..

Going back to Tim Parks, Italian Neighbours was a very good and funny read, although I would thoroughly recommend the follow-up An Italian Education for those bringing up kids in this land.
An Italian Education has just plopped into my Kindle, thanks for the recommendation.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Doris Day
An Italian Education has just plopped into my Kindle, thanks for the recommendation.
You're welcome.

Tim Parks owes me a drink...
Forum Regular

Doris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant futureDoris Day has a brilliant future

I read "Keeping up with the Lawrences" earlier this year, it's a pleasant easy read and the author seems like a nice bloke, I also bought the original DH Lawrence book at the same time, but I've been bogged down with commissions recently and haven't had a chance to read it yet to compare.
Forum Regular

You're welcome.

Tim Parks owes me a drink...
Haha... Good luck with that one!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Doris Day
I read "Keeping up with the Lawrences" earlier this year, it's a pleasant easy read and the author seems like a nice bloke, I also bought the original DH Lawrence book at the same time, but I've been bogged down with commissions recently and haven't had a chance to read it yet to compare.
I finished it last night. Now I'll start on the original which I got for free
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

He owes you two drinks now. I've bought it as well. Started it this afternoon.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Capo Boi
He owes you two drinks now. I've bought it as well. Started it this afternoon.
I'll try him on Facebook.

I even bought the Italian translation of "Italian Neighbours" once (called just "Italiani" I think) as a present for a friend. He didn't find it particulalry amusing.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

I'll probably sound a bit like a dinosaur, but some of the old classics are difficult to beat;
Christ stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi, Norman Douglas's 'Land of Sirens', Letters from Italy by Charles Dickens, come to mind. The there are the Mario Puzo books, the titles of which escape me just now. The 'Dark Heart of Italy' thing was far too lefty for my proto fascist taste.
One of the most fascinating reads I have is a transcript of BBC broadcasts to Italy during WWII - 'Colonel Stevens at the microphone' - It is in pamphlet format, with no indication on the covers of where, when or by whom it was published.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jun 11th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

jiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant futurejiminalpago has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ononno
The 'Dark Heart of Italy' thing was far too lefty for my proto fascist taste.
One of the most fascinating reads I have is a transcript of BBC broadcasts to Italy during WWII - 'Colonel Stevens at the microphone' - It is in pamphlet format, with no indication on the covers of where, when or by whom it was published.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Have you tried "Berlusconi's Shadow", David Lane, [I]Economist [I] correspondent; should be Right-ist enough. Goes up to about 2001.
If you are interested in WW2, Malcolm Tudor has printed a number of small books, such as "SOE and the Italian Resistance", that give an insight into the partigiani world; there doesn't seem to be much about them in English and the Italian accounts all seem a bit too partisan (pun unavoidable).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.