Apple pad

Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Apple pad

I wonder if someone can give me some tips on which one to choose?
I am thinking of getting this as a present for OH.
Also, if someone gets it for me from the States is it cheaper there and would it work in Europe.
Thanks in advance.

PS I am completely ignorant of technology, I have no smart phone either.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond reputeCapo Boi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apple pad

Apple iPad yes?

Depends on your primary usage with regards to which version to go for.

Really important, without wifi at home I would question if it's worth buying one.
Assuming you have, then I would say that the 16gb version is a bit light on memory if you are going to watch films and run a lot of apps. The 32gb version is the one I'd go for unless you are going to download and save lots of films. If so then go for the 64gb version.

If you are going to use it outside to access the Internet when no wifi is available go for a sim card version otherwise for home use there is no need.

Prices in the US are generally around 30% cheaper so worth buying there if you can. Will work perfectly with the caveat that some sim cards may be tied into a particular US provider so if you change to an Italian sim card for example, you may find that the iPad is locked to that provider so mobile Internet won't work. Wifi will though. It's nice to have the sim card option but I've never bothered to use mine.

Good luck. I'm typing this now from my iPad while watching Lord of the Rings on tv. They are really fantastic but pricey. I've also used the Samsung tablet which I would say is almost as good but at around €100 less. If you want an alternative this is the one I would go for.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 8:57 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I've got the 64gb 3G version of the iPad from Hong Kong. To be honest, you can save money by not getting the 3G version and get the wi-fi only instead. If you're OH has a smartphone and a data package, he or she can just switch on the personal hotspot option on the phone and you can connect the tablet to the smartphone when on the move via wi-fi.

Just remember that the iPad in the US works on 4G frequency which will not work in Europe. You'll have to use it only in 3G mode, they are unlocked for international sim cards.

Just an example, a white ipad with retina display, 16gb wi-fi only, costs €499 in Italy. Same model costs $499 in USA (more than €100 cheaper).

The Samsung tablet is probably easier to sync and to add songs and movies because with the Apple, everything needs to be done via iTunes.

Also you should consider the Kindle Fire HD which is the cheapest option and can do just about the same.

Last edited by duffer; Nov 9th 2012 at 9:01 am.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for the great info-I just need to digest it and see which one is the best.

I will not be able to get the Ipad from the States till march, which is too late and the only solution is from the UK.
Duffer, OH has a work blackberry which he uses for emails-is this compatible with the Ipad?
I was thinking of an Ipad because we can also watch UK tv when the satellite changes occur after new year.
DD does not know yet, but she is getting a Google tablet for her birthday.

Thanks again
Old Nov 9th 2012, 11:22 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if the Blackberry is fairly new then they can set up a personal hotspot on it, then use whatever data package or tariff they have on that for use also on the tablet.

Apart from the latest iPads released just recently, the previous 3 iPads have always been released in March, so you could get an iPad 5 or iPad mini 2

Which Google tablet are you getting? The Nexus 10?
Old Nov 9th 2012, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duffer
Yes, if the Blackberry is fairly new then they can set up a personal hotspot on it, then use whatever data package or tariff they have on that for use also on the tablet.

Apart from the latest iPads released just recently, the previous 3 iPads have always been released in March, so you could get an iPad 5 or iPad mini 2

Which Google tablet are you getting? The Nexus 10?
Yes, we got the Nexus, but not the very new one. OH searched the UK shops/Internet and this version was sold out; he did find it here in Italy and it was a lot cheaper( for once, something is cheaper here). When he asked the guy in Media World when they were getting the 32 Nexus, he did not have a clue what OH was talking about. She will be more than fine with this one.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Isakat
I was thinking of an Ipad because we can also watch UK tv when the satellite changes occur after new year....

What's that?
Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MarkRD
What's that?
Tell me more, tell me more ...... I'll nick OH's!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pugliese
Tell me more, tell me more ...... I'll nick OH's!
With the launch of the new satellite/see Sky forum, the coverage might not be the same. It seems that any changes will be felt after New year.
My friend who is a UK telly addict, has already prepared herself by getting an ipad, paid a company for a UK vpn and also got the Apple tv receiver, so she will watch UK telly down the internet, if the channels get disrupted with the new satellite change.
Anyway, Duffer might explain it better.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:57 am
Pull my finger

Explain what??

A VPN or a UK proxy works well with the iPad. With that you can use the iPlayer, ITV on demand, 4onD and Sky Go (you need to find a friend in the UK that doesn't use their allowance - 2 mobile devices - then you can watch whatever package they have, e.g. sport, movies, etc.), etc.

Alternatively, if you have a new internet tv (or even just a blu ray player), you can watch the iPlayer and Netflix, if you connect your device to a compatible router with a paid for VPN service.

I've got a new internet TV (instead of a puppy) and just ordered a router. I'll set the router up with my UK VPN details (Hide My Ass) within the next week or so and will test it for myself to see how the iplayer works on the TV without the need for a PC. As mentioned above, you don't even need an internet TV if you get a smart blu ray player (ideally bought from the UK so it will have iPlayer, Lovefilm, etc. already installed) - they cost under a £100.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duffer
Explain what??

A VPN or a UK proxy works well with the iPad. With that you can use the iPlayer, ITV on demand, 4onD and Sky Go (you need to find a friend in the UK that doesn't use their allowance - 2 mobile devices - then you can watch whatever package they have, e.g. sport, movies, etc.), etc.

Alternatively, if you have a new internet tv (or even just a blu ray player), you can watch the iPlayer and Netflix, if you connect your device to a compatible router with a paid for VPN service.

I've got a new internet TV (instead of a puppy) and just ordered a router. I'll set the router up with my UK VPN details (Hide My Ass) within the next week or so and will test it for myself to see how the iplayer works on the TV without the need for a PC. As mentioned above, you don't even need an internet TV if you get a smart blu ray player (ideally bought from the UK so it will have iPlayer, Lovefilm, etc. already installed) - they cost under a £100.
Explain THAT that you have just written-thanks
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:21 pm
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Isakat
Explain THAT that you have just written-thanks
no bugger off