Visiting Zimbabwe

Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visiting Zimbabwe

I'm hoping to pay a brief visit to Zimbabwe next month. Does anyone on the site have any family or friends in Victoria Falls or Bulawayo? Or been there recently?

I'm also hoping someone amongst you will know if the VF-Bulawayo overnight train service is still running reliably these days?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:10 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Zimbabwe

You are a brave soul. Make sure you have a good supply of the basics like loo paper and bottled water. I have an elderly aunt still floating around Muf (Zambia) somewhere.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

And as a white woman travelling alone, no doubt some would say foolhardy, but if I'm going to be in Victoria Falls it seems a shame not to run up to Bulawayo and see for myself.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:30 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

On your own? May I suggest that I think that is nuts - and if you look like a reporter you may well be made rather unwelcome. Mugabe has let it be known that he does not like white faces.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

It won't be long before an example is made of journalists who are slipping in. I was amazed John Simpson wasn't taken. If that is indeed part of your mission, do be very careful.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

I take your point. Just trying to figure out a way to Bulawayo that doesn't involve a personal vehicle and fuel. If no whites ever take the train, then I'm stuffed and will just have to stay put at VF.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:21 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

White folk have never taken the train in Zims.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Newshoney, you mentioned Angola, Mozambique, Zim and SA.
How many trains have you taken in those Countries? and when?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:59 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
White folk have never taken the train in Zims.
My Mrs and I did
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

might I suggest dressing like a nun and plead the whole missionary member of God thing and maybe you have a hope in hell of making it. My family have all left the Bulawayo area long ago, but I am sure that you may find some white people kicking around somewhere in the area.

Might I also suggest that in addition to toilet roll etc, you also take a medical kit with including your own sterile needles, nurofen, syringes, alcohol swabs and clean rubber gloves (yes even these are scarce).

When I was last in Zims in 2001, when it all started to really kick off in a big way, we were up near Chinhoyi, when we saw two young white girls from Denmark hitchhiking. naturally we gave them a lift, but I was really amazed at how naive and ignorant they were about the fact that they could be potentially raped, killed or imprisoned even though they were innocent bystanders.

Wear your absolute oldest clothes and take your backpack out and kick it around the yard for about a month beforehand so that it looks like you really have nothing worth stealing. Most shops I believe now only take US dollars even though the govt have deemed this illegal as the Zim dollar devalues so much on a daily basis. Don't ever flash your money around and take it as a given not to take expensive jewelery, watches or cameras.

Other than that I hope you are okay- let family and friends and your embassy know where you are going and pray from the best..I wish I could go back, but I believe in having the good memories from my childhood instead of seeing the place now that it has denigrated into nothing..
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:34 am
Just Joined

PatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nice

Generally the tourist destinations such as Victoria Falls and the National Parks are quite safe - the cities though are another story all together.

Go to the following websites and have a look, from there you can contact the africa travel consultants directly: I particularly recommend go2africa they are africa experts and a consultant specializing in Zim can give you the scoop whether it is really safe to be running around in Bulawayo nowadays. They can also help you regarding train/transport queries. Cant you also speak to some other Journalists who have been there recently?

http://www.go2africa.com/zimbabwe

http://www.jambosafari.co.za/tour/zimbabwe

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...-Zimbabwe.html

The trip advisor will link you to a forum where you can get advice from people who have been there.

Just be advised though, the people in Zim are absolutely desperate they have NOTHING! There are shortages of everything, even if you are working and earn money you just cannot buy anything beyond the basic food stuffs and that is also in short supply! It is terrible to see. When I was in Vic Falls 3 years ago people were begging for my cap, asking for my clothes! It is so sad.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Just be advised though, the people in Zim are absolutely desperate they have NOTHING! There are shortages of everything, even if you are working and earn money you just cannot buy anything beyond the basic food stuffs and that is also in short supply! It is terrible to see. When I was in Vic Falls 3 years ago people were begging for my cap, asking for my clothes! It is so sad.[/QUOTE]

very very true. Although I would say that the tourist National Parks would not be that safe anymore either. Even in 2001 they were already starting to kill anything that moved to eat (white and black rhino and all the game were fair targets). I would stick to the Zambian side of Vic falls if I was her.

As for the begging- yes that has always been bad, but now it is rife. A contact who I know in SA told me that her gardener who was from Zim went up recently to see his family. When he came back he was 15kgs lighter from lack of nourishment..It is really really bad..Strongly suggest staying home unless you can carry all your provisions
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all of the above. Clearly in 2001 at least the train is a no-go. Back to the drawing board - and all suggestions welcome.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:19 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Still think you are nuts for even trying. Mugabe does not like anyone that does not agree with his philosophy, and you have no resources to turn to when his goons decide that you represent the evil British enemy. Hopefully your camera breaks down into a million different pieces so they cannot identify it as one. Recording any of the atrocities could cause you quite a few problems. If you have a British accent, maybe need to work on changing that.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:36 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

elfman, you were lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.