Vacancy in Nigeria

Old Mar 13th 2013, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Toonie1002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vacancy in Nigeria

Hi,

New to the forum and I am looking for some information please?
My other half has been offered a job in Nigeria but has been asked to send £200 by money transfer to a secretary in the Federal High Court of Nigeria for his Non Resident Work Permit, is this the correct procedure? His e-mail from the company has stated they will pay expenses in the processing of his immigration visa and will re imburse other expenses when he commences employment.
Another friend of ours has not had to pay anything, hence my query.

Many thanks for any feedback.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

daiske is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vacancy in Nigeria

It´s probably a scam. Dont send anything.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you ask the employer/company to clarify this?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 7:22 am
Just Joined

We did, all they sent was an explanation that all personnel require to purchase this permit in order to work in the country, they have sent a letter of appointment but I am not convinced, they are offering my other half 13,000 USD per month for a charge hand position and have stated they pay 3 months salary in advance......Surely too good to be true??
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:26 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds dodgy to me. Can the Nigerian embassy in London confirm anything? If the company is doing the recruitment, then they should take care of this too.

I'd tread carefully!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Many thanks, I have e-mailed the Embassy/High Commission, the name of the document is wrong too, so I am convinced it is a scam, also I have read guidance notes for immigration and work purposes and yes, you are correct the employer applies to the Embassy of the country of residence of the potential employee.

Thanks all for you help, I have learnt a lot from you all
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi again,

Has anyone heard of a company called Amos Construction in Nigeria?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:11 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daiske
It´s probably a scam. Dont send anything.
I agree with the exception of the word probably

If you have to send money or personal info to Nigeria, it is definitely a scam
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't follow this.

If you're having doubts, can you share some details? How did your husband find out about this position? Was it advertised? Direct approach? Referral by a friend/colleague? Was their an interview? Where did it take place? $13,000 USD/month, and the first quarter's salary in advance, seems very generous for a charge hand position, and I'd be careful if I decided to proceed with this.

the employer applies to the Embassy of the country of residence of the potential employee.
This suggests that the employer will apply to the British embassy - assuming your husband is normally resident in the UK. Why would they do that? Companies normally apply to the host government, in the country where the expat will be working, for visas etc.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Scam ! 100 percent sure !