Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

UK Television in South Africa

UK Television in South Africa

Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Darren70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Television in South Africa

I will shortly be relocating to Port Elizabeth, does anyone know how to receive UK TV channels via any form of satelite equipment?

Thanks
Old Jan 13th 2005, 6:38 pm
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK Television in South Africa

Originally Posted by Darren70
I will shortly be relocating to Port Elizabeth, does anyone know how to receive UK TV channels via any form of satelite equipment?

Thanks
You can get DSTV in Gauteng, CApe etc, and they do show some UK channels, but nothing to write home about. People as a whole don't watch nearly as much TV as we do here in the UK.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Thanks
Darren, Hi
The Sky TV and its free channels will not reach South Africa, the Astra satellite does not beam down there. Your Uk programmes will probably be as part of a "Package" similar to the Sky Uk system and not as prolifiic as at home. We used one from a South African company whilst living in Tehran and it was about £40 a month. Of course you will need to buy a dish and decoder that will set you back around £400. BBC Prime is an alternative from the "Hotbird" Satellite if you can receive that in Africa. That signal will also need a decoder and a dish pointing in an other direction. This is a form of UK tv and a "viewing card" I've read is about £75 a year. It would be wise to seek a TV shops assistance prior to finding your accomodation because for satellite tv to work, there must be a clear view to the particular satellite. Some premises also may not allow sat dishes to be installed on the roof/wall.
ps...prime does have Eastenders
Old Jan 31st 2005, 7:04 pm
Rainbow Nation Citizen

Gandalf33 is on a distinguished road

Thanks
We have DSTV with a glittering menu of more than 50 world-class television channels and 40 CD-quality audio channels, DStv offers the richest ore of on-screen entertainment available in Africa.

Firstly you need a Digital Satellite Decoder (a standard decoder or Dual View decoder will do). For the Pound rate (divide the amount by 11.2)

• A standard decoder will cost you R699* (excluding Dish and Installation).
• A Dual View decoder will now cost you only R1999*

Secondly, you need a Smartcard and you would need to have a satellite dish installed at your home. You will receive your Smartcard free of charge with your digital satellite decoder but may need to contact an Installer for a satellite dish and installation

The monthly subscription for the full DStv bouquet costs R379.00 per month. There are no additional costs for the Interactive services offered by DStv touch.

There are packages offering a decoder and dish for approximately R1400.00. British Programmes on offer - BBC PRIME, BBC NEWS, SKY NEWS and then there are the usual National Geographic, Fashion TV, History Channel, Discovery Channel, MTV etc.