Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Things you miss about South Africa

Things you miss about South Africa

Old May 23rd 2007, 8:47 am

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things you miss about South Africa

I think family and friends are an obvious answer, so this is more to do with foods, places etc.

So what do you miss about South Africa?
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:44 am

Default Re: Things you miss about South Africa

Anyone??

Well I miss...

Wimpy Burgers and a Wimpy Coffee
A Calamari and Prawn skillet from Ocean Basket
The mid-afternoon Summer Rain Showers
New Years Eve in Hatfield Square (Pretoria)
The spectacular Highveld Storms
Waffles from the Waffle House in Ramsgate
Meat that tastes like proper meat
The beautiful sandy beaches
Shopping at Menlyn Mall
Smiling at strangers and having them smile back
Adelpracht Wine
Watching Noot vir Noot or Isidingo
YOU Magazine

These are just the things I can't buy from the SA shop in Roehampton, the rest I can pretty much have when I please.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kitten24
Anyone??

Well I miss...

Wimpy Burgers and a Wimpy Coffee.
Yuk hated Wimpy, love Steers burgers, steak rolls & Mugg & Bean coffee
Seafood in Aus is great
The spectacular Highveld Storms.... this I liked
Meat is OK, a ew months to get used to a slightly different taste. Had a great grain fed 400g or more Rump on the barbie
Beaches are better here, but no waves makes the sea not fun to swim in
Smiling at strangers and having them smile back. Not sure about this. Always got the feeling they wanted something. people are happy here too
Wines here are first class
Isidingo, yes. The soaps here are not great
YOU Magazine ...Nope similar stuff here
Being able to buy droewors and biltong anywhere
Dry air from JHB. 80%RH here and 21 deg on a cold day in Mackay
Some friends and family, familiarity of where to get things, but these are fading with time
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:43 pm

Smile Re: Things you miss about South Africa

Originally Posted by sa2oz
Yuk hated Wimpy, love Steers burgers, steak rolls & Mugg & Bean coffee
Seafood in Aus is great
The spectacular Highveld Storms.... this I liked
Meat is OK, a ew months to get used to a slightly different taste. Had a great grain fed 400g or more Rump on the barbie
Beaches are better here, but no waves makes the sea not fun to swim in
Smiling at strangers and having them smile back. Not sure about this. Always got the feeling they wanted something. people are happy here too
Wines here are first class
Isidingo, yes. The soaps here are not great
YOU Magazine ...Nope similar stuff here
Being able to buy droewors and biltong anywhere
Dry air from JHB. 80%RH here and 21 deg on a cold day in Mackay
Some friends and family, familiarity of where to get things, but these are fading with time
Oooh, you've got me convinced. We are at this very moment debating whether to move to Oz or not. You've just added a few pro's to my list!
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

I miss:

SCHOOL UNIFORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
coffee from the Mugg & Bean
Wimpy's milkshakes
Sandton City
Ruby's restaurant in the Fourways mall
Nanados'
Ocean Basket
The Kruger Park
Tshipise holiday resort
Nice beaches
Our cleaning lady (I wish I could fit her in my luggage)
Woolworhts
decent butcheries
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

Mrs balls chutney
Cream soda
A proper thunderstorm
The fresh smell of the ground after the rain(London just makes the dog poo smell stronger!)
Durbans finest "Bunney chow"
Koek sisters!

And endless supply of cheap castle lager.

Bruce
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:03 pm

Smile Re: Things you miss about South Africa

Originally Posted by bruce67
Mrs balls chutney
Cream soda
A proper thunderstorm
The fresh smell of the ground after the rain(London just makes the dog poo smell stronger!)
Durbans finest "Bunney chow"
Koek sisters!

And endless supply of cheap castle lager.

Bruce
We get Mrs Balls Chutney at our local Tesco
We buy Cream Soda for my daughter at the SA shop
I make Koek susters and Milk tart when we are getting visitors
We buy Castle at Asda and Makro, but it's quite expensive sadly
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Nothing excepting family and friends (I read Nando's is opening up here in the US later this year, so I can strike that one off my list .

Have some of the most gorgeous scenery a short plane ride away.
Our beaches are world famous.
Can get basically any food stuff I want, and that which I can't get, I either make or I've lost the taste for.

Peace and safety - priceless
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:08 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Gem squash, granadilla, guavas and lychees. I could feed them into my face indefinitely for years.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
Gem squash, granadilla, guavas and lychees. I could feed them into my face indefinitely for years.
Oh dear, you have to have me send you some sometime. Publix sells them all (xcepting gemmies but you can grow your own ).
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:18 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

You're on lady. Last time I had fresh lychees was in Hawaii. Bit of a haul to satisfy the craving. Never seen fresh guavas since being here. Most wouldn't know what they are anyway. Where do I get gem seeds and how would they do in a colder climate? Surely our winters would kill them off? I'll even buy a green house if I have to.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
You're on lady. Last time I had fresh lychees was in Hawaii. Bit of a haul to satisfy the craving. Never seen fresh guavas since being here. Most wouldn't know what they are anyway. Where do I get gem seeds and how would they do in a colder climate? Surely our winters would kill them off? I'll even buy a green house if I have to.
Speak to the harem keeper. He's the expert on them *wink*
Old May 24th 2007, 7:00 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

The most missed on my list so far is the rain. Plenty of it here but it is not quite the same

My family and friends of course.

Need to think more about this ....
Old May 24th 2007, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kitten24
Oooh, you've got me convinced. We are at this very moment debating whether to move to Oz or not. You've just added a few pro's to my list!
Springbok Satooz in Queensland stock lots of SA stuff. The funny ones are tinned pilchards in Chilli sauce. Mielie meel (there is now an Aussie equivilent).
Black balls (those sweets I used call a different name as a kid, but can't any more.
Beers. i dont miss any apart from Windhoek as they have stopped keeping it at the Dan Murphy in Mackay. There are so many Aussie beers anyway
Nandos is here in Melbourne Brisbane Airlie Beach, but not yet in Mackay.
Funny there is Appletizer Mrs Balls and Beacons licorice in most shops, and even Fizz bars.
Oh well I must go and check my biltong in the dryer
Old May 24th 2007, 10:13 am

Lol @ checking your biltong drier. My Brother-in-law makes his own too, but you can still taste the difference in the meat.

We have Nando's here too and Spur for when we have a craving.

We also have Appletizer, Beacons liquorice, Granadillas (passion fruit), lychees and Gem squash in our local asda. The only thing we seem to be missing is Guava's. I can buy the tinned ones in the SA shop though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.