Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Tanzania for semi-tourists?

Tanzania for semi-tourists?

Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tanzania for semi-tourists?

My wife of 40+ years was born there (Nachingwea) to a British dad in the then Colonial Service and a French mum (the latter now deceased).

I'd like to take her back to her childhood haunts.

Aside from Nachingwea they lived in Kagomi (sp?) and Dar-es-Salaam. They all left after independence in ~1962.

Thoughts? Advice?

Novo.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tanzania for semi-tourists?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kigoma
Old Feb 5th 2013, 11:08 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Novo, my husband lives in Dar, and has done for a couple of years now. He loves it. It is generaly safe, evidently there are occasional problems, but the Tanzanians are a lovely bunch. My son and I are planning to go and stay with him later in the year. He now lives in a compound of houses on the beach, with families from just about every nation, but before he moved there he stayed in hotels. I will ask him to PM you when he comes back during the first week of March if you have any particular questions. There seems to be lots to do for tourists. Zanzibar is quite literally a ten minute flight or a short ferry journey, and he often gets on a small fishing boat at the weekends and goes to a couple of islands that just have one restaurant and great snorkelling.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Novo, my husband lives in Dar, and has done for a couple of years now. He loves it. It is generaly safe, evidently there are occasional problems, but the Tanzanians are a lovely bunch. My son and I are planning to go and stay with him later in the year. He now lives in a compound of houses on the beach, with families from just about every nation, but before he moved there he stayed in hotels. I will ask him to PM you when he comes back during the first week of March if you have any particular questions. There seems to be lots to do for tourists. Zanzibar is quite literally a ten minute flight or a short ferry journey, and he often gets on a small fishing boat at the weekends and goes to a couple of islands that just have one restaurant and great snorkelling.

Hi Millie, thanks for that. Like me, on BE you pop up everywhere. I'd surely appreciate some first hand recent appraisal of the country. Myself I've travelled quite extensively in West, South and East Africa, (also Northern) but never to Tanzania and not recently (last time I think was 1994).

A PM later would be fine, there's time to make plans.

Thanks again.