Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Old Sep 7th 2005, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future
Default Re: Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Pablo
I suspect, when something like this happens to "stormer" or his family, he'll flip and be out of SA in an instant and we won't hear another peep from him.
Pablo
Pablo
Your intention was to patronize in your usual condescending manner.
As much as I strongly disagree with some posters on this site I do not wish any harm on them or their families in order for them to 'repent' their views.Leave my family out of this debate.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stormer
Her washing was stolen? Nooooooo.
Call the FBI, we just had the crime of the century... :scared:
Stormer I gather you missed the points, so I will spell it out.
1) She was affected by 2 crimes in less than a week.
2) The washing wasnt the issue, but the link will take you to a report of the murder of a security guard by a robber she was at, and several other serious crimes in that newspaper. But anyway I would rather be here where washing stolen is considered a serious crime, and would be investigated, not ignored.
3) She and husband are skilled people, which by implication means less doctors and skilled people in Africa.
I think the FBI are busy witht the crime and violence in New Orleans caused by the African Americans looting, killing and complaining about racism, instead of assisting. Nobody wishes harm on you or family but again the issue is really that you seem impervious or oblivious to the reality you are in!

I and partner are considered skilled here as well but I could not keep employment due to BEE policy. I love it that you are as positive about South Africa as I was until in about 1994, then I got to see some dead people, then some more, then go to funerals of people I knew. but when you become directly affected your thoughts will alter. I pray you never are affected, because Africa needs skilled employed people with a positive outlook.

I am positive but just not about the country of my birth, before you go there again.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Pablo
Leave my family out of this debate.
On the contrary, I think one's family is key to questions about SA and one's future there. Even if you have a job, what about your children, and their children? And security issues affect one's whole family, as does healthcare, education, and many of the other topics that come up in relation to SA.

You may feel patronized. I daresay you often do. But all I am trying to do is keep to the questions and issues - which interest me - and avoid the silly name-calling, which doesn't... and which you are such an expert at.

It is a classic ploy of a certain type of person to throw insults rather than address arguments. It's known as an "ad hominem" fallacy... in which you attack the person rather than the argument. Ad hominem is Latin, in case you didn't know. It means, "against the man" and I have noticed you tend to employ it against people quite frequently. It doesn't do you any credit.

However, I imagine you're quite young and inexperienced still, and probably haven't had a very good education. Still, we've all got to start somewhere. But if you can't be rational, why not just try being civil.

Pablo
Old Sep 7th 2005, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future

And what sub-type you think I belong to?
There is also a good afrikaans word that describes you, it is 'doos'. Go look it up.

Last edited by stormer; Sep 7th 2005 at 1:00 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

And what sub-type you think I belong to?
There is also a good afrikaans word that describes you, it is 'doos'. Go look it up.
I don't need to look it up. It means "******" and I'm afraid it's typical of your insulting tone. Tut, tut. Do you think that, by writing it in Afrikaans, it makes it somehow better or less insulting? You really are very funny.

Sub-type? I could speculate, but I shan't.

Pablo
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by G'Day
Piccolo I think what Izibear meant was more in the line of the following... my friend had a very well protected house. She worked for a hi-tech security company and had an anti-theft system that was absolutely state of the art - cateyes, motion sensors, the works. She came home one night, five months pregnant and tired, to find some men waiting for her in her house. They'd already stolen everything, but they knew she was single, female and they wanted to have some "fun" before leaving. They left her HIV positive and killed her baby. They didn't even bother to hurry, because they were sure in the knowledge that the police would not respond. And they didn't. My friend's elderly neighbour could hear her scream the whole night long as she was beaten and repeatedly raped. He called the police several times, but they never came out to assist her. The next day, after the men had left she called her sister who took her to hospital where she was told the beatings had severed the placenta from the womb and her baby had died. As she came to after theatre a policeman had the audacity to come up to her and ask her for her statement!

Where do you think they got her security code to disable her system? Her alarm was never triggered, in fact they got through her whole security system using HER passwords and security keys. Where did they get these?

The security firm investigated the breach in security, naturally. They found that someone inside the company was selling clients' details to a crime syndicate. The clients they had were mostly the kind of people who could buy a whole lot of security and who needed it.

This is what I think Izabear meant by "buying into". You don't need to buy the entire complex, just one greedy pig in the security firm that services the complex is all you need.
Isn't it sad that I'm not shocked in the least, having seen it played out so many thousands of times before?

What does that say about South Africans of every hue of the rainbow who've had to put up with this for nearly 2 decades?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Piccolo I think what Izibear meant was more in the line of the following... my friend had a very well protected house. She worked for a hi-tech security company and had an anti-theft system that was absolutely state of the art - cateyes, motion sensors, the works. She came home one night, five months pregnant and tired, to find some men waiting for her in her house. They'd already stolen everything, but they knew she was single, female and they wanted to have some "fun" before leaving. They left her HIV positive and killed her baby. They didn't even bother to hurry, because they were sure in the knowledge that the police would not respond. And they didn't. My friend's elderly neighbour could hear her scream the whole night long as she was beaten and repeatedly raped. He called the police several times, but they never came out to assist her. The next day, after the men had left she called her sister who took her to hospital where she was told the beatings had severed the placenta from the womb and her baby had died. As she came to after theatre a policeman had the audacity to come up to her and ask her for her statement!

Where do you think they got her security code to disable her system? Her alarm was never triggered, in fact they got through her whole security system using HER passwords and security keys. Where did they get these?

The security firm investigated the breach in security, naturally. They found that someone inside the company was selling clients' details to a crime syndicate. The clients they had were mostly the kind of people who could buy a whole lot of security and who needed it.

This is what I think Izabear meant by "buying into". You don't need to buy the entire complex, just one greedy pig in the security firm that services the complex is all you need.

Well I have just come back from a few days away to read the above. How awful, don't think I will sleep tonight! I don't know what the answer is but I do not see how everyone leaving will help and lets face it the majority cannot leave but will have to tackle it eventually.

I do not believe this type of wickedness is only in black people as events in the former Eastern block have shown us of mans terrible inhumanity to his fellow man. Time for all good men black and white in South Africa to speak to each other. However I agree that for some family will come first

Old Sep 10th 2005, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

It is very-very sad and horrible indeed. What is even worse is that this kind of thing happens to a woman or child every 20 seconds in the "good old" RSA and that for girls in places like Kyelitsha, someone who has not been brutally gang-raped is considered an anomaly.

As a woman, any country that allows this kind of thing to happen on such a regular basis, without taking drastic measures to prevent and curb it, is not a country worth living in and contributing my taxes to. As a woman I have the greatest respect for my husband, who gave up a hard-earned and very lucrative career in RSA to relocate to Australia and start with nothing in order to ensure my, and our children's safety.

So Stormer, and all the other "positive" people out there, stay on your knees and pray for forgiveness, because you're playing Russian roulette with the lives of the women and children in your family due to being pig-headed and thinking it will never happen to you!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

It is very-very sad and horrible indeed. What is even worse is that this kind of thing happens to a woman or child every 20 seconds in the "good old" RSA and that for girls in places like Kyelitsha, someone who has not been brutally gang-raped is considered an anomaly.

As a woman, any country that allows this kind of thing to happen on such a regular basis, without taking drastic measures to prevent and curb it, is not a country worth living in and contributing my taxes to. As a woman I have the greatest respect for my husband, who gave up a hard-earned and very lucrative career in RSA to relocate to Australia and start with nothing in order to ensure my, and our children's safety.

So Stormer, and all the other "positive" people out there, stay on your knees and pray for forgiveness, because you're playing Russian roulette with the lives of the women and children in your family due to being pig-headed and thinking it will never happen to you!
Well you know I am also one of the positive people. Each family has to do what it consider right for them. What do all the families do that have to face it. It is not as if they can go north to Zim!

Just had phone call from good friend in the Robertson Valley. No complaints whatsoever about crime or violence although she is struggling financially.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't disagree with you, Piccolo, but "positive" isn't the end of the story. I mean, what about those Jews who chose to remain in Nazi Germany in the late 1930s, as opposed to those who saw the writing on the wall and left? Which ones were the positive ones? Which ones made the right decision?

Similarly, in Zimbabwe, my experience is that the whites who chose to stay when Mugabe came to power were not the "negative" ones who were convinced that nothing good would come of Mugabe's rule. Those who stayed were those who were prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Would they stay if they had their time again? I doubt it.

One wonders what the opposite of "positive" is? Realistic? Negative? What I'm saying, I suppose, is that being positive is all very well, but perhaps being informed is better.

Too many "positive" South Africans equate being positive with eliminating, or ignoring, any breath of criticism - and as anyone who knows Africa knows, Africans aren't much good at criticism as it is. Indeed, Africa might be a better place if there were more criticism - more "negativity" - rather than less.

Furthermore, while I admit that political solutions aren't everything, nevertheless, there are limits to what being "positive" on a personal level can achieve. If your farm is about to be seized, or if you're about to be gang-raped, no amount of sing-for-Jesus feelgood positive-thinking classes are going to protect you.

Africa needs to get out of *denial*. And the West needs to stop pussy-footing around the corruption and tyranny that typifies African government.

I don't know about you, but I have followed a lot of the idiotic blather surrounding the "Make Poverty History" campaign, and what struck me is that it was *Africans* who were saying that the West needs to stop being so wet about the whole question of bad government there. Not the Africans in power, of course. But the likes of Mbeki's wise brother, and others who are not in power, but who are educated, and who have done some thinking about what is wrong, and how to fix it.

Too often one hears "just be positive". On its own, that isn't going to fix anything.

Pablo
Old Sep 11th 2005, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Piccolo
Well you know I am also one of the positive people. Each family has to do what it consider right for them. What do all the families do that have to face it. It is not as if they can go north to Zim!

Just had phone call from good friend in the Robertson Valley. No complaints whatsoever about crime or violence although she is struggling financially.

I am a realist. A positive realist who can see the good in most bad situations. I see so little good in this situation that if I could, I would get every single one of my family out of there. I am not the only realist. Many Africans can see the writting on the wall too.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

HOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura aboutHOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura aboutHOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura about

The best thing that my bf and I EVER did was to leave South Africa and I will never set my feet back there - not even for a holiday. I urge all of you still living there and beating that African drum of hope (it is wrapped full of promise but empty inside) to think about your life and how you would LIKE to live it .. for example - Imagine this ...

You wake up, open the curtains and realise that you are not staring into burglar bars (your very own jail cell) and a high wall with an electrical fence around it. You can actually see across the road and view your neighbour retrieving the daily newspaper from his garden. You can also see children playing and cycling around the neighbourhood.

Instead of getting ready to take the kids to school, you send them on their merry way to catch a safe and efficient PUBLIC bus.

This morning you aren't in the mood for traffic clogged roads so you sign onto the internet and look at your options .. mmm .. the ferry sounds great (I can grab a cup of coffee onboard while I watch yachts go by and read the morning news) OR maybe I can drive to my nearest BUS STATION where I can leave my car and not worry about it and catch a clean, safe bus into the city .. wait a minute, there is a bus stop 3 houses from me .. mmm .. OR I can catch the train - quick, safe and efficient. I like the last option because Britomart Station has "hot-seats" where I can plug-in, enjoy a cappucchino, recharge my i-pod and relax with time to spare.

Look at the time - I must dash ... stay tuned for my update but in the meantime - IMAGINE !
Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

HOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura aboutHOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura aboutHOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura about

^^^^ CONTINUED ..

IMAGINE :

You wake up, open the curtains and realise that you are not staring into burglar bars (your very own jail cell) and a high wall with an electrical fence around it. You can actually see across the road and view your neighbour retrieving the daily newspaper from his garden. You can also see children playing and cycling around the neighbourhood.

Instead of getting ready to take the kids to school, you send them on their merry way to catch a safe and efficient PUBLIC bus.

This morning you aren't in the mood for traffic clogged roads so you sign onto the internet and look at your options .. mmm .. the ferry sounds great (I can grab a cup of coffee onboard while I watch yachts go by and read the morning news) OR maybe I can drive to my nearest BUS STATION where I can leave my car and not worry about it and catch a clean, safe bus into the city .. wait a minute, there is a bus stop 3 houses from me .. mmm .. OR I can catch the train - quick, safe and efficient. I like the last option because Britomart Station has "hot-seats" where I can plug-in, enjoy a cappucchino, recharge my i-pod and relax with time to spare.

You leave Britomart and walk to work, the city centre is buzzing with traffic, shops opening and people everywhere. What a relief to not have hawkers clogging the pavements, no lamp-posts cluttered with advertising, no street children harrassing you or trying to get their hands into your pockets, no vagrants begging and pleading for R2, no litter blowing everywhere, no make-shift drum fires roasting mealies, no live chickens displayed in cages for slaughter and no urine smelling pavements.

You pass Louis Vuitton, you pass Prada and you know that one of 3 department stores in the city centre will be having a sale soon - so you wait. Aaaah there is Starbucks and Burger King - a toss up .. mmm .. you settle for a vanilla cappucchino to take away with you as you soak up the morning vibe. Isn't it great having International brands in the city centre - you feel connected to the rest of the World.

Imagine sun on yor face while you shop and people watch as you move from one shop to the next. You feel safe and there is no need to go shopping in that artificial environment they call shopping centres. The city centre has soul, it is alive and so are you.

You take the afternoon off, jump into your car which is safe and sound at the bus station - wait ! something is amiss .. oh I know .. no car guard knocking on my window for some change because he had to watch my car while I was gone. You throw your handbag onto the seat next to you - there is no reason as to why you should hide it under the seat. Now to pick-up the kids.

You take the kids to the library for an interractive reading so that you can take the time to look around. It is a comfort knowing that the children are safe and that you can take 35 books out for a period of 25 days. You just remembered that you need a dvd for the children (which you borrow from the library) and now you can loan that old time favourite cd - the one that brings back those memories - damn ! it is out but there is no reason to panic, you use the internet at the library and you order the cd from one of the other libraries in the city. All done, in no time the library staff will notify you when the cd has arrived.

Time for some grocery shopping, you stop at Foodtown (a supermarket the size of Pick n Pay but Woolworths standards) and go to the South African aisle where you can obtain all those South African delicacies like droe-wors etc. There is no need to worry if you forgot something because Foodtown is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Driving home and stopping at the traffic intersection you remember the roads back in South Africa .. where groups of hawkers would flood around you car and stare into the very soul of your car to see what they can take from the car. You also remember the min bus taxis that used to pull up beside you and push in front of you. What a relief to have none of that here.

Hubby gets home and surprises you with theatre tickets. You dress up and take the ferry across the harbour to the city centre. The city lights flicker on the water and you can't wait to see the show that you have heard so much about. Upon arrival at The Downtown Ferry Terminal, you and hubby decide to walk up to the theatre - the evening is beautiful, the city is safe, it is well-lit and there are loads of people about - all ages.

The show ends and it is late - 1 in the morning. You leave the theatre and you notice that the streets are still full of people, a traffic jam down Queen Street. The city pulsates with life. Coffee shops are also still open and you decide to enjoy a cup of coffee while you watch the people go by.

The next morning you and hubby decide to lie-in and you let the children go to the local park. You know that they will be safe and there is always a park nearby. You decide to take this opportunity to phone your friend on the other side of the city - you can chat forever, local calls are free.

This is the reality and I am willing to bet that there are loads of other Cities like this - not one of them in South Africa. South Africans are under this impression that they have magnificent lifestyles - it is an urban myth - wake up and smell the roses, South Africans have no life-style at all. You live in glorified, make-shift jail cells, spend most of your time in traffic and behind the wheel of a car, you shop in artificial environments (and the selection of goods is extremely poor compared to New Zealand), your children face a bleak future in all aspects and lead a dull, protected life.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

What a dull, superficial, suburban life. Shopping, i-pods, eating, shopping, ****ing, shopping, eating, shopping, shopping.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pablo
What a dull, superficial, suburban life. Shopping, i-pods, eating, shopping, ****ing, shopping, eating, shopping, shopping.
Exactly - just how Saffers love it ... thank God that I live in the city centre .. so Pablo, you still don't know me .. does Gandalf ring a bell ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.