Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Old May 22nd 2005, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

jandhill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

After trawling through nearly all the posts here,the only conclusion we can draw,is that SA seems to be a well messed up country.......or is it???????

Most of the post all seen to dwell on the crime levels..and all to often, the graphic informing of how aids is rife...the women are likely to be raped,your home will be ransacked...your car hijacked...are we seriously to believe this,lawlessness goes on unchecked,surly a country could not prosper under these conditions?

It does seem that the most negative views on this board are from non SA residents...what can one surmise from this...sour grapes?- had to get out?

Just how much of the real SA is portrayed on these type of boards????

Last edited by jandhill; May 22nd 2005 at 5:20 pm.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future
Default Re: Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

www.africancrisis.org
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

You obviously have never been there or were smoking good stuff whilst there.
I had a policeman shot to death outside my house. My brother hijacked twice in 3 years, a friend hijacked once and his wife twice, his house robbed a few times. The company i worked at had computers ans servers stolen even thought there were armed gaurds on patrol. Then at the last robbery the gaurds were on camera joining in the theft, but the police said the evidence was not good enough. The place where I got my passport (Edenvale) had 2000 passports stolen and no arrests. On TV they had a program of the post being robbed (in the central post office) with no arrests. Then the government took away all my sporting guns because they want "one man one gun". The road deaths are about a 1000 or so every holiday because the cops are too busy collecting bribes. One of the managers for "Lord of the dance" was shot for a laptop in JHB, and It got to where we would not go out at night becuase it was so dangerous.
The people left either cant go or have the money to buy security, medical care, schoooling for their children etc.
It will get better after it gets a whole lot worse. My wife was a nurse there and saw plenty aids infected people. Its a great place!
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Talking Re: Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by jandhill
After trawling through nearly all the posts here,the only conclusion we can draw,is that SA seems to be a well messed up country.......or is it???????

Most of the post all seen to dwell on the crime levels..and all to often, the graphic informing of how aids is rife...the women are likely to be raped,your home will be ransacked...your car hijacked...are we seriously to believe this,lawlessness goes on unchecked,surly a country could not prosper under these conditions?

It does seem that the most negative views on this board are from non SA residents...what can one surmise from this...sour grapes?- had to get out?

It's easy to sum up SA,

When it's bad its very, very bad but when good its the BEST!

Bruce.
Old May 23rd 2005, 7:11 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Go there, and find out for yourself.
Old May 24th 2005, 3:00 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Spoken by someone who has never lived there. That much is obvious.

Scouse. Good one.
Old May 24th 2005, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Karl2c is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=izibear]Spoken by someone who has never lived there. That much is obvious.
I lived there for 45 years - my uncle was murdered in his house last year ( he left the kitchen door open ) - my brother who lives in Jhb has a permanent armed guard in the house for his wife and kids - hardly a friend has not been touched by violent crime ( 3 hi-jackings in one family alone ) - another friend watched a shaking finger slowly squeeze the trigger of a gun held to her head whilst being robbed in a bank - my sisters gardener died of aids - my brother in law was held up at gunpoint for his cell phone - my cousin was also robbed at gun point on a beach 10 minutes after arriving at the resort when they stole his sunglasses - there are 25,000 murders a year in SA.............the list goes on
Yes, I have lived in South Africa............
Old May 24th 2005, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Karl2c
- there are 25,000 murders a year in SA.............the list goes on
Yes, I have lived in South Africa............
More like 30 000+ according to the Medical Research Council of S.A.

Never mind the rapes every 17s of babies/toddlers/small children and women.

Carjackings all the time (signs posted all over to beware of hijackings)

Armed robbery.

Attempted murders.
Old May 25th 2005, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future

OK, here we go again. Another self confessed know-all prophet of the doom joins the 'wanker group'. Your 'insight' into the psyche of the SA society is fascinating. I have never seen so much utter shite written anywhere else as I have seen on this forum. Tons upon tons of rubbish.You bunch must be REALLY happy people, I’d hate to be stuck in the lift with any of you, you could probably kill a person just by moaning and bitching about life.
Old May 25th 2005, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by stormer
OK, here we go again. Another self confessed know-all prophet of the doom joins the 'wanker group'. Your 'insight' into the psyche of the SA society is fascinating. I have never seen so much utter shite written anywhere else as I have seen on this forum. Tons upon tons of rubbish.You bunch must be REALLY happy people, I’d hate to be stuck in the lift with any of you, you could probably kill a person just by moaning and bitching about life.
Yes I am am a very happy person after leaving that wonderful continent.
My family are are also happy. I suppose you are one of those people who earn enough to buy security there, or maybee smoked so much of the Durban poison you havent noticed any of the stuff we have seen. You are probably one of the people who have never been outside Capetown. Thanks for the giggle. Please post some more. I am struggling to type you are so funny!
Yes you can walk on the beach in Oz any time of day or night.

Last edited by sa2oz; May 25th 2005 at 10:32 am.
Old May 25th 2005, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

[I suppose you are one of those people who earn enough to buy security there,

You wouldn't want to buy security there, better to have 5 German Shepherds or Rottys, much more realiable, honest, loyal and safer.
Old May 25th 2005, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mercedes
[I suppose you are one of those people who earn enough to buy security there,

You wouldn't want to buy security there, better to have 5 German Shepherds or Rottys, much more realiable, honest, loyal and safer.

Hi

I am new to this but I have visited S. A. in 1967, 1969, 1972 and more recently in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004.

In 2003, 2004 we travelled by car from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town taking approx. 3/4 weeks to do so so stayed in many places along the way. We were a bit apprehensive having read the stories in press etc. We had no problems what so ever, saw no incidents, stayed in many small towns in houses without high fences.

With the exception of PE never saw or met many African (black) people) only coloured or mixed race. In the very small villages we did not think that life had improved for the local indigenous people.

I am aware that there is terrible crime in SA and also equally aware of the terrible tragedy of HIV Aids. Having watched SA TV impressed with the program Carte Blanche which tells it like it is positive and negative aspects of life. The South African program POP IDOLS made very enjoyable viewing
certainly proving that in some instances the rainbow nation was working.

It is still early days for such a young nation and if corruption can be prevented and crime brought under controlled who knows what the future will be! Such a beautiful country and in the towns we stopped at in our journey we found many British and Europeans moving there..

In the 60's Cape Town townships had the highest murder rate in the world and who cared?

i
Old May 26th 2005, 9:41 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piccolo
With the exception of PE never saw or met many African (black) people) only coloured or mixed race.........
???????? Are you sure you were in SA??
Old May 27th 2005, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Scouse
???????? Are you sure you were in SA??
He he he he good one
On a funny note it I think it would be almost possible to travel through most part from PE to Cape Town and see very few local blacks. I think that the reason for this is the fact that years ago the townships were built by previous government away from the cities and towns or major routes so if you stick to the main routes one does not see much, other than beautifully kept Garden Route towns. (it is one of the most beautiful parts of the country). It is changing dough, some townships have expended and grown so much over the last years that they are now virtually on the road.
Old May 27th 2005, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Originally Posted by stormer
He he he he good one
On a funny note it I think it would be almost possible to travel through most part from PE to Cape Town and see very few local blacks. I think that the reason for this is the fact that years ago the townships were built by previous government away from the cities and towns or major routes so if you stick to the main routes one does not see much, other than beautifully kept Garden Route towns. (it is one of the most beautiful parts of the country). It is changing dough, some townships have expended and grown so much over the last years that they are now virtually on the road.

Well you know, we wandered from the gardne route to Klein Karoo and also down to the coast as we did over 2000 km when it was only 750km or there abouts. Had a great time and always were off the roads before sunset but then we have spent over 20 years in other African countries so know the drill.
We also did that in the 60's!

Stayed only in small guests houses and usually the other guests were Afrikaaners who spoke to us. ( this did happen in the 60's) They appeared to be in for the long haul. Saw townships of course, some looking better than others. When I was in Cape Town in 1969 I was unable as a woman to leave the hotel at night. Now of course can go into the waterfront which is a really
great place. We used Matatu during the day in Cape Town only for short hops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.