success stories

Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:22 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: success stories

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
My family don't actually do much more than emails as it is quite expensive to spend a lot of time online. Also very frustrated with slow connections. I was trying to get my sister on to skype but that did not work out well. I link up to a site to post news and photos as it is easier for them to access and copy than if they wait to download them. Takes ages. At least I get current photos from them that they upload to my site otherwise I would never see piccies of the latest arrivals in their families.

As an aside RL, I saw on BBC online that Ian Smith has just passed away.
Have just seen that as well.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:33 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I know.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amb
You must be so proud.

Err .... why should I be proud, I was commenting on the way she had been treated!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:46 pm
amb
Forum Regular

amb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the roughamb is a jewel in the rough

Maybe they're too busy braaing to post on the interweb?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:50 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by amb
Maybe they're too busy braaing to post on the interweb?
No, most people can't afford the internet at home and don't have access to it at work.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Juggernaut"You dont experience Africa on your terms but on hers.""

was that a freudian slip?? lol#
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

amb and Suka suzuki!
No one is saying dont go, It's your life, your kids, your choice.
Do whatever is right for you, please write and tell us
There's a bright guy on here called 6000 who gets peeved every nowand again as he probably gets all the questions from home about wether he and his wife and kid are ok in Cape Town.
Please go, if you're really lucky you can live a looong life without crime affecting you.
If not, it's going to be a major as most of what you think of as crime is just shrugged off as being sissy to talk about it.
I've decided I will be totally positive from now, I'm not my brother's keeper,
amb and suzuki , you have to go to places like top of Northcliff hill to watch the sunrise, have a walk in delta park , hit the night clubs etc
go for it
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Daxk
, you have to go to places like top of Northcliff hill to watch the sunrise,
I haven't been there for years, but watching the sunrise wasn't what people did up there
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep, where do ye think Wits Archeology students found the tag Homo Erectus to go between Homo sabilis and Homo sapiens??
Such a pity, that was such a great spot to end the evening with , sunrise, Grand Mouse aka Moerses Muis and Liquifruit Orange bought at the 24 hour garage in Blackheath (sigh)
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:31 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daxk
Yep, where do ye think Wits Archeology students found the tag Homo Erectus to go between Homo sabilis and Homo sapiens??
Such a pity, that was such a great spot to end the evening with , sunrise, Grand Mouse aka Moerses Muis and Liquifruit Orange bought at the 24 hour garage in Blackheath (sigh)
Liquifruit Orange (Insert drool here)
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:02 am
Account Closed

whalewatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
So, are all expat South Africans negative by nature or has something happened to them to make them become so cynical? Sad, sad state of affairs.
As an ex-expat in SA I do believe a decade there gradually drained my faith in human nature. I had plenty of it when I arrived. Hell, I wouldn't have gone there if I hadn't! But over time the society and culture challenged my ideals.

There are positives, but then things that should be routine in a morally and ethically normal society are hailed as triumphs in SA. My feeling now is that it's not a moral context in which I would want my kids to grow up, nor would I want to be old there in a twenty years' time.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:50 am
Just Joined

sakazima is an unknown quantity at this point

To clarify, before I go, I am not a troll - I had a genuine question, I may not have asked it very well. I was born in Scotland and we moved to JHB where I finished my schooling and have been traveling ever since. My question was for advice on moving to Cape Town....anyway, I certainly won't be back to ruin your fun again, carry on with you mud-slinging.....
Incidently I have had a very good offer which I have accepted in Hong Kong so the question is now null and void anyway
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well done all!
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well done all!
I think that's a bit unfair, Mitzy. I mean, look at the aggressive tone of the initial post in this thread.

"I am fed up of the South Africans I have met over the years who constantly seem to have to justify their leaving by bad mouthing SA, or are they just bitter that the grass was not greener on the other side?
I am also not looking to justify my returning, just want to hear some success stories"

This is just the sort of line that is used all the time by the likes of Homecoming Revolution, where every critic is some sort of failed and embittered expat desperately trying to justify what is presumed to be a miserable life by "bad mouthing" their beloved home.

If the poster had not begun with such an aggressive entry he/she would have got a more open hearing.

Last edited by Pablo; Nov 21st 2007 at 12:44 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
I would love folk who moved there to report back every now and then - whether good or bad, but no one has.

I think it has to do with the fact that the internet is not readily accessible to most people. My family/friends back there can't go online at work, it is blocked, and only have access to email and don't have it at home.
I second that. It may be a question of ease/difficulty of internet access. It may be that new arrivals are so happy they have better things to do than report back (and if so I don't blame them!). But of those Brits who say they emigrated there recently, those who have written tend to say there are problems that have caused them to reconsider.

I'd add this too. It's not much of a story. But a friend of mine who had been living out of SA for about 5 years recently returned. He is in Jo'burg. I heard yesterday that, at 4am, there was a bang, and he got out of bed to find 2 robbers in the house. He shouted. They ran. No one hurt or killed. So no big deal by Jo'burg standards. He was living in a secure complex with walls and electric fence. The fence, it turned out, was off. Not sure if this was because of the power failures or for some other reason. As Daxk rightly says, this stuff is so commonplace that it is "sissy" to fuss about it. But this friend of mine is now looking at getting out. He realises how close he was to being killed.

For what it's worth, I answer specific questions when posters ask specific questions. When they ask silly stuff like "will I like it" then what can one say?

Last edited by Pablo; Nov 21st 2007 at 12:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.