Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Stranded In Khartoum..Embassy Loan?

Stranded In Khartoum..Embassy Loan?

Old Dec 29th 2015, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

sirak is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Stranded In Khartoum..Embassy Loan?

I am currently in Khartoum stranded with no family here to help or back home.

I do have enough money to purchase a flight however, good old Nat-west have suspended my Account. I was told by the embassy this is because they do not do business in Sudan.

I have been to embassy and asked if they could help with a loan but the lady at the desk just said 'No' (Although it seemed more like protocol than a firm no). I am sleeping rough not to far from the embassy.

My bag and Laptop were stolen earlier. I'm really in a tight spot with next to no money left.

My question is 'Can the embassy help with a loan? Any experiences, assistance or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Old Dec 29th 2015, 5:50 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stranded In Khartoum..Embassy Loan?

I have never done it, but I have known some who have, they dont like to loan money and it seems the more of a pain in the neck you make of yourself the faster it will happen. The two people that I can think of that did receive consular assistance were both borderline crazy.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

sirak is an unknown quantity at this point

haha...I guess, I figured the way the lady spoke, they really to see you are genuinely out of options...
Old Dec 29th 2015, 6:10 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirak
haha...I guess, I figured the way the lady spoke, they really to see you are genuinely out of options...
I got the feeling that they value manifestations of desperation as evidence of this lack of options.
Old Dec 29th 2015, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

They will trty to persuade you to have someone in the UK send you money. Only in extremis will they bail you out. Too many "Distressed British Subjects" pitching up at Embassies.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Why would NatWest suspend your account because they don't do business in the Sudan? This doesn't make sense.

Consulates don't normally lend money, but will try to get in touch with anyone who might be prepared to help you. You can also apply for repatriation, but it's not a right and each case is assessed individually. If agreed, the consulate will pay the airline directly. You will have to guarantee repayment and surrender your passport until you honour this commitment.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 3:58 pm
Banned

etnaboom is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure why your account is suspended?

That makes no sense to me, anyhow, contact the Home Office, they are duty bound to protect British subjects, advise that you are in fear of your life and request assistance.

Best way to make the connection is via your local UK MP who will have a direct contact in that office.

Embassies do not lend money in my experience, I had to bail a pal out who was stuck in Spain
Old Dec 31st 2015, 5:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Consular loans do still exist on paper but they are extremely rare these days and really are a last resort. Consular staff can help put you in touch with someone in the UK who can loan you the money. I would be getting in NatWest as a matter of priority to unfreeze your account.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Nat-West may have frozen your account as a security measure. Did you tell your bank that you were going to Sudan ?
Old Dec 31st 2015, 11:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Nat-West may have frozen your account as a security measure. Did you tell your bank that you were going to Sudan ?
I think this is likely.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 12:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirak
I am currently in Khartoum stranded with no family here to help or back home.

I do have enough money to purchase a flight however, good old Nat-west have suspended my Account. I was told by the embassy this is because they do not do business in Sudan......
Originally Posted by MartynK
Why would NatWest suspend your account because they don't do business in the Sudan? This doesn't make sense. ....
Originally Posted by etnaboom
Not sure why your account is suspended?

That makes no sense to me, ....
Originally Posted by scot47
Originally Posted by BritInParis
I think this is likely.
Sudan is sanctioned by the US and the US has a habit of fining banks that operate in the US and also engage in business with/in Sanctioned countries, including, but not confined to: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, Burma, and Sudan. There may be one or two others with some restrictions too, such as Zimbabwe.

French banks have tryed to circumvent some of the sanctions in recent years, as did Barclay's and Lloyds IIRC, and they all got landed with fines of hundreds of millions of dollars, or more, so it is easier and cheaper just to apply US sanctions even if you're not a US bank.