Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

Hi JDR, I see you are a moderator, my email is on my profile, give me a call
If you'd like we can chat on skype, my daughter who hid in the bushes, my wife who was dragged to the bushes, myself etc.
Then tell me to be careful.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:53 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shakari
I actually know more people in SA who have been killed by Elephants than have been victims of violent crime...... and not many people get killed by Elephants in SA.
Having lived in SA for 23 years I never knew anyone being killed by an elephant.

THere are what ? 50 murders a day in SA, you got some wild elephants there
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:55 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
How about this one.. http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...1641587C277738 You hire an armed response company you think is in good standing and you get these lads with paintball guns. I had heard that there was activity in trying to get some of these thugs on the payroll of legit companies to get inside access to homes, but this is a new bend. Unreal. :curse: Now it's important to check their licenses as well.
Does anyone know what COLOUR the paint was
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by shakari
Seems to be a degree of panic here. I've lived in SA for 8 years now.... close to the KNP, and in our local paper, it's more likely to see a headline of donkey runs amok in high street than we are to see one that says murder and mayhem. - Some areas are indeed rampant with crime and murder but the same could be said of the UK or elsewhere.

A few sensible rules of life can make a big difference to living here. Live on a secure estate and try not to drive in dodgy areas at night etc. One has to remember you're living in Africa and not the UK but if you wanted the UK, then you'd have stayed there. If you want to go elsewhere then you must accept those differences - both good and bad.
Donkey and elephants

Where do you stay , inside the KNP
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pablo
The same could be said, but it would be a lie.

Certainly not about New Zealand or Oz.

Going to Scotland for a month and I am positive it is not like that but will let you know once I have actually been there.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:17 pm
Banned

Anybody remember Grasskop? (That’s near the Kruger National Park for those that haven’t lived or been to SA)

What an awesome place in the 80s. Harry’s Pancake Bar

We stayed in the Royal Hotel in Pilgrims Rest in 95 and went back again in 2003

What a shock

Grasskop has turned into a squatter camp and certainly is NOT safe. The lady in the one store I was chatting to in Hazyview said we were mad to go into Grasskop. There were three German tourists shot dead there a couple of weeks prior.

Apparently Grasskop is the drug capitol of Eastern Transvaal; obviously there are a lot of elephants on drugs.

We stayed in the Kruger Park Lodge which in 2003 had 8 foot walls with electrification on the top, patrols with armed guards. Obviously to keep the mad elephants under control.

The one evening I had to go into town at around 19.00 and was questioned by the security guards (of the resort) where I was going and told it was not safe driving around.

Everywhere we saw in that area had security gates on the stores and burglar bars (sorry, elephant bars) on their windows.

I thought that the Hippo was the most dangerous animal that had racked up the most human killings.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:23 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
By the same token, have you lived there?

No I haven`t lived there.

Perhaps if the moderators enforced the request for an introduction before posting on this forum people can read the intros to see who lives where. BTW, where do you live?

At least I have filled my profile in so that people can see where I live by looking below my avatar.

I lived in SA for 23 years; my wife is born & bred SA. You can read my introduction as recommended by BE before posting here.

Good man.

How long have you lived in SA or have you been there?

Never been there but have met people that do and did live there.

This forum also seems to have mixed input from moderators and has been down this road before. Not sure if you read the posts or have just sampled a random few?

I am posting this as an enquiring member and nothing to do with being a mod.
I just happened to read a few of the posts because of the titles of them, they are mostly doom and gloom about the country, and happened to ask why everybody runs the country down so much, which is allowed, or have you moved the goal posts ?

It never ceases to amaze me that in the 80s so MANY people all over the world had a great understanding of South Africa and apartheid and strong opinions without having lived or been there but it seems that now folk must live there to have an opinion on the post apartheid SA.

Mentioning opinions, how come anyone with an opinion that SA is different to the general feelings gets jumped on in such an aggressive manner, everyone is allowed their own opinion.

It seems the goalposts move.

Countries change over the years, so I suppose goalposts move too.

Merry Christmas to y'all
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:25 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Southern Africa. I have family there, friends and business interests. If it was as simple as them picking up sticks and moving, it would have happened yesteryear. I go back now only for family and even then it is with a heavy heart. The geography is magnificent, the society becoming sicker by the minute. End of my input for awhile. I am off to Scotland in 4 hours. Cheerio for now.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:30 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

It's got to do with those HCR responses that blow off what is becoming a very serious issue for all citizens. Think of it in the same light as the build up to the fight to end apartheid. This is still a fight to end a rather violent and vengeful form of apartheid. Toss out law and order and you have a rather ugly battle looming. We would much prefer it did not end this way so we speak up.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:31 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I grew up in Southern Africa. I have family there, friends and business interests. If it was as simple as them picking up sticks and moving, it would have happened yesteryear. I go back now only for family and even then it is with a heavy heart. The geography is magnificent, the society becoming sicker by the minute. End of my input for awhile. I am off to Scotland in 4 hours. Cheerio for now.
Have a great trip P!!! Leave some single malt for me when I go over will ya?

Hugs to you you gorgeous chickie!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:50 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It's got to do with those HCR responses that blow off what is becoming a very serious issue for all citizens. Think of it in the same light as the build up to the fight to end apartheid. This is still a fight to end a rather violent and vengeful form of apartheid. Toss out law and order and you have a rather ugly battle looming. We would much prefer it did not end this way so we speak up.
Thanks for the input and have a good trip.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr

No I haven`t lived there.

Perhaps if the moderators enforced the request for an introduction before posting on this forum people can read the intros to see who lives where. BTW, where do you live?

At least I have filled my profile in so that people can see where I live by looking below my avatar.

I lived in SA for 23 years; my wife is born & bred SA. You can read my introduction as recommended by BE before posting here.

Good man.

How long have you lived in SA or have you been there?

Never been there but have met people that do and did live there.

This forum also seems to have mixed input from moderators and has been down this road before. Not sure if you read the posts or have just sampled a random few?

I am posting this as an enquiring member and nothing to do with being a mod.
I just happened to read a few of the posts because of the titles of them, they are mostly doom and gloom about the country, and happened to ask why everybody runs the country down so much, which is allowed, or have you moved the goal posts ?

It never ceases to amaze me that in the 80s so MANY people all over the world had a great understanding of South Africa and apartheid and strong opinions without having lived or been there but it seems that now folk must live there to have an opinion on the post apartheid SA.

Mentioning opinions, how come anyone with an opinion that SA is different to the general feelings gets jumped on in such an aggressive manner, everyone is allowed their own opinion.
It seems the goalposts move.

Countries change over the years, so I suppose goalposts move too.

Merry Christmas to y'all
So does that mean I can reply to you as an enquiring member or will I get another two week ban
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

I would be very sad to think we had lost Mitzy.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
If you are Painting a whole country with what a few people have posted on here then I agree it is silly.

Obviously but let's hope that is as a member's opinion and not as a mod.

Perhaps BE should introduce something where mods should offer their opinion as members and sign up like everyone else as I thought that the mods role was to monitor rather than steer the topics .

Perhaps the advertising opportunities will be better if it becomes another HCR clone.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
... and not as a mod.
I agree, Campbell.

It comes to something when a moderator starts trolling on his own list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.