Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

Originally Posted by Pablo
... As you say, you know nothing about SA. People still live in plenty of places you might find unpleasant and violent.

Almost everyone here has had bad stuff happen to them, their family and/or their friends. How do I know? Because they've said so here. (Unless you want to suggest they're just making that up). And I can include myself too in that statistic of crime victim.

But hey, you know nothing about it. So why not find out if you're actually interested?
I am not suggesting anything just think that if it is that bad then why are you still there ?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I am not suggesting anything just think that if it is that bad then why are you still there ?
Who said I'm there?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Who said I'm there?
Well, I think you have just answered my question. ;-)
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Well, I think you have just answered my question. ;-)
How silly.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

How silly.
If you are Painting a whole country with what a few people have posted on here then I agree it is silly.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
If you are Painting a whole country with what a few people have posted on here
...But I'm not.

then I agree it is silly.

I think what is silly is your pointless uninformed sniping.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

...But I'm not.

I think what is silly is your pointless uninformed sniping.
No sniping pal, just trying to find out why a few on here seem to slag the country off all the time and if someone posts anything good about SA they get jumped on.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
No sniping pal, just trying to find out why a few on here seem to slag the country off all the time and if someone posts anything good about SA they get jumped on.
Uhm, actually no, not your "pal". And what you say is not true.

I think I'll leave you to get on with your vacuous speculations alone. Goodbye.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Uhm, actually no, not your "pal". And what you say is not true.

I think I'll leave you to get on with your vacuous speculations alone. Goodbye.
Maybe I am trying to gleen a bit of information as I may move over there to get away from all the shootings and fire bombings in Marbella.
Maybe we will speak again ? BFN
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:24 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Maybe I am trying to gleen a bit of information as I may move over there to get away from all the shootings and fire bombings in Marbella.
Maybe we will speak again ? BFN
jd, Mitzy had the same attitude when he started modding this forum, until he himself went out and researched it for himself. It has been a huge eye opener to him to see that we speak truth.

We don't slag off the country for fun. How many of your friends, family, work colleagues have been murdered in cold blood, car jacked and driven around with guns pointed to their heads? raped and left with HIV? or held up at gunpoint in their fortress-like homes and tortured and left for dead?

I have. Many. Friend gunned down in his driveway as he arrived home. Another friend's 10 year old son held at gunpoint during a robbery. A family with 3 little kids who owned a corner store held up by 5 AK47 toting men and held hostage for hours, being forced to walk home because the cops wouldnt' come to the robbery scene. A client gunned down for his car. A close friend held up by Ak47 toting men again, or his car. His neighbor shot dead in his front garden. My brother in law hijacked a few months ago and driven around for 4 hours until he managed to escape, his hijackers discussing how they were going to kill him and dispose of his body. A close friend's father murdered for his watch as he was standing in his front garden.

I can carry on for hours. Every single one of us who have lived there for any length of time have these sort of incidents to relate. We're not talking being mugged or having your home broken into. In S.A., we live with bars on our windows, gates on our front/back doors, we even have a gate between the living areas and the bedrooms known over there as rape gates in case someone does break in, we have huge walls around the property with electrified fencing around the top, and wear panic alarms around our necks in case we are attacked, we can summon the armed response company in a hurry. Many live in secure complexes and yet have been attacked, as was a friend of Tegwyn's three months or so ago, gang raped as she came home from shopping one afternoon, in her very secure, fortress like home.

These are the realities of living over there, which most people who have never had to live like that are unaware of.

S.A. = 45 million population = 30 000 murders or so a year = 500 000 rapes a year.

UK = 60 million or so population = 700 or so murders a year.

See why we try to point out the dangers of moving to S.A. if you're a Brit especially, and not used to how dangerous S.A. really is? The most dangerous country in the world not at war it has often been referred to.

It is a serious matter. Yes, you can move there and nothing happen to you, but the chances of your experiencing bodily harm are extremely high. Be aware of the real dangers before you do move.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:33 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Many are still there because they can't leave - no skills or foreign passports.

Those who can leave, are leaving by the droves. All colours of the rainbow, every day.

The western media is only now beginning to talk about the state that S.A. is in and heading toward, which is basically the same place as you see Zimbabwe at today. BBC online has had quite a few good informative reports the last year especially.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Thanks for the info RL, I was just trying to see if any of the posters on here actually lived there or were they just reading this on the net or in the papers and scaremongering.
It seems strange to me that people who live there and tell their experiences of their life in the country seem to get belittled by people that possibly don`t even live there.
Maybe I will get one of your tanks next time I go into Marbella. ;-))
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Thanks for the info RL, I was just trying to see if any of the posters on here actually lived there or were they just reading this on the net or in the papers and scaremongering.
It seems strange to me that people who live there and tell their experiences of their life in the country seem to get belittled by people that possibly don`t even live there.
There is no belittling going on by 99.9 percent of us. It is not scaremongering. When it comes to S.Africa it is every day reality.

shakari for example, lives in the middle of the bush, with barely a soul anywhere to be found. The vast majority of Brits moving will be going to the major cities and it is there that they'll be sitting ducks.

We don't just read on the net. We've all experienced it ourselves, or have family or friends still there who are experiencing it now. My in-laws are in the process of trying to get out the country. Most would leave tomorrow if there was a country that would take them. I am talking black/white/brown/red/blue yellow, whatever colour skin you possess.

S.A. is beginning to turn into another Zimbabwe, and people are becoming aware of that.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:04 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr

jdr, I lived there foe several years and have friends who cannot get out.

South Africa is the most dangerous country in the world, which is not at war. second BBC link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/258446.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1924251.stm
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:46 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr
By the same token, have you lived there?

Perhaps if the moderators enforced the request for an introduction before posting on this forum people can read the intros to see who lives where. BTW, where do you live?

I lived in SA for 23 years; my wife is born & bred SA. You can read my introduction as recommended by BE before posting here.

How long have you lived in SA or have you been there?

This forum also seems to have mixed input from moderators and has been down this road before. Not sure if you read the posts or have just sampled a random few?

It never ceases to amaze me that in the 80s so MANY people all over the world had a great understanding of South Africa and apartheid and strong opinions without having lived or been there but it seems that now folk must live there to have an opinion on the post apartheid SA.

It seems the goalposts move.

Merry Christmas to y'all

Last edited by Campbells; Dec 26th 2007 at 9:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.