Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

So, we are thinking of moving......

So, we are thinking of moving......

Old Apr 9th 2007, 7:39 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So, we are thinking of moving......

I am curious to know how you get about without Mugabe's muggers at your throat? They are not exactly pulling out the welcome mat to Blair's brigade. That British passport is a dirty word to Zimbos.

Just ditch the race card thing. Heard this shyte from too many ignorant, and yes I mean ignorant tossers that use that blanket argument for what has happened to S.A. Had it been that simple, apartheid would have been abolished eons ago. European expats within were pushing for change and the political climate was changing.. We can't undo history, but we can't let current events be justified by old excuses.

Some here may sound like broken records, and probably angry too. All they wanted was to live in peace with their neighbours, regardless of colour. Alas, African history speaks for itself. I'll be first in line to warn people about the criminal element in S.A. In fact I will be first in line to tell them how those pieces of Nigerian filth have invaded the country and set up criminal mobs, using locals to do the dirty work. This I know personally. My opinion. It is a piece of geographic paradise that is turning into a hell hole. This saddens me deeply.

End of sermon, I will kick my soapbox to the side and go about my business peacefully.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I am curious to know how you get about without Mugabe's muggers at your throat? They are not exactly pulling out the welcome mat to Blair's brigade. That British passport is a dirty word to Zimbos.
Simple, I only show my British passport at customs and at borders!! I don't pin it to my shirt!! But seriously, I have rarely had a problem in Zim with being made welcome - and that is from whites, blacks and asians. My Aunt who is living in Mablereign has been robbed once in 53 years of living there for example. Ive been broken into in London or had my car broken into 4 times in the past 3 years. Another friend who lives on Enterprise Road was held up in his house at knife point two years ago. That was the first time he had a serious situation and he hasn't had one since.

[QUOTE=Tegwyn;4618838]
Just ditch the race card thing. Heard this shyte from too many ignorant, and yes I mean ignorant tossers that use that blanket argument for what has happened to S.A. Had it been that simple, apartheid would have been abolished eons ago. European expats within were pushing for change and the political climate was changing.. We can't undo history, but we can't let current events be justified by old excuses.

Fair enough, as I said - it was one sentence that got picked up, with the rest of my post and questions ignored..............

Some here may sound like broken records, and probably angry too. All they wanted was to live in peace with their neighbours, regardless of colour. Alas, African history speaks for itself. I'll be first in line to warn people about the criminal element in S.A. In fact I will be first in line to tell them how those pieces of Nigerian filth have invaded the country and set up criminal mobs, using locals to do the dirty work. This I know personally. My opinion. It is a piece of geographic paradise that is turning into a hell hole. This saddens me deeply.

End of sermon, I will kick my soapbox to the side and go about my business peacefully.
I live in London, we have many many problems with Nigerian conmen here to. I also have heard from many friends the problems there are in SA with Nigerian gangs.

But as I said - warn people, show them reality as many do want to believe the grass is greener on the other side and Africa is fantastic. But agressivley chasing down their arguments? Thats why I came on here in the first place.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:30 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your last statement. Safe travels and all that. Next time you see the Mugabe motorcade, please send him a one finger salute for me. Not obvious of course as we know how distressed he gets at criticism.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I agree with your last statement. Safe travels and all that. Next time you see the Mugabe motorcade, please send him a one finger salute for me. Not obvious of course as we know how distressed he gets at criticism.
Me too!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:56 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rick b
Perhaps you didn't notice the name of this website when you joined? It's called British ExPats. Thats people from Britain who have moved abroad.
You assume too much. I am British, went to SA in the 80s working on contract.

You have a bias as you lived under a government that was white controlled and made things easy for the white inhabitants. You didn't like it when things changed and left. Do you really think therefore you are the best to offer an unbiased view of Africa? I ask you that sincerely.

Others try and offer positives, they try to offer different points of view. However much of the time that I have seen conversations involving you they give up as you brow beat them.
Once again you assume too much.

I was working in Europe 92 onwards and actually returned to SA just before the 94 elections. I was the one that SA people were telling me I was mad and I was the one full of positive vision for the future of South Africa. Having left South Africa in 2005 I was there for 11 years in the so-called new South Africa.

You lived there, you got out. Great. It doesn't mean you have to brow beat everyone who has the idea of going there. You obviously had a bad time there and didn't like it. My experience of South Africa and Zimbabwe is different - yet you don't let different opinions get spoken.
I lived in SA for over 20 years. I understand you went there as a tourist and bought the t-shirt. You live in London, if Africa is so awesome why don’t you live there?
That is my main question to you.

Just a simple search of Souh Africa threads proves my point. In this thread the guy just wanted to ask about serviced apartments and you went on and on about murder rates etc etc.
You conveniently left out a key word. The question was *secure* serviced apartments.

No, I think it's important to have both sides of the coin being told. However, you are someone who others feel they can't stand up to as you have this aggressive rude attitude whenever anyone challanges you. As is shown in your post to me.
Maybe I spent too much time in Africa as this is how most African governments react.

The simple fact is that if you are security aware (and this IS important, I would never try and down play it) you can take out 90% of the risk. I wouldn't walk in some area's at night in London, why would I in any other city?
52 murders a day (and that is with media control) in South Africa. Tell me where in London you had a crime scene where it involved 15 people in military attire using R5 rifles ? Just quote me one …. ?

Take away the typical tourism area's of Cape Town and Jo'Burg where the prices are very high and on £12,000 (which is what I said) you can get a mortgage just as easily in any other country. Now if you want a place where it IS impossible to buy unless you are very well off - come to London.
So why do you live in London if you can have this life in *paradise* in SA ?

If you take a R15 k gross salary what purchase value do you think that will offer in SA to buy your own home ?

You and I and anyone else in Africa know that stats like unemployment are not worth the paper they are written on. Many many people work for cash in Africa that are not a part of these figures. Don't lets spin it. If you have the money to set up a business then getting a visa is relatively easy. Three friends have done so (two with backpacker style accomadation on Garden route and one industry based business in Grahamstown). All have been successful, love the lifestyle and although are very security aware, have not had any problems that were unexpected or specific to S.A.
Do you happen to know what that amount is? Please explain why anyone would want to consider moving to SA to start a business when they must invest I think it is R2 million in the country and then they are not allowed to take the money they in the business back out should they want to at a later stage? Have your friends given 51 % of their businesses to local black people?

Well Zim it's obvious why it's controlled. He is a dictator and free press would crush him. Although I will say quite comfortably that whatever the problems in Zimbabwe at the moment, (of which there is a lot of hope for change) it IS safer there crime wise than S.A. from mine and friends experiences.
So you agree that SA in not a safe place.

I believe in my first post I said I spend 3-4 months of the year in Harare - the rest is spent mostly in London, sometimes in Berlin. I am in London at present, next in Harare on June 1st.
You obviously work for some human rights organisation.

Cheers
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:46 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

The economic reality of S.A. is that in many countries, people with specific skills will earn more there than in S.A.

Hence people leave whatever the colour of their skin.

With regards to business's - are you really telling me that many South African business's that were solely owned by Whites were not built up on the back of more or less slave labour, complete disregard of basic employment laws for Blacks. Profits were made that would not of been there had there been freedom and equality.

In Zim from Independance until 1999 there was an African country which showed that Whites and Blacks could easily co-exist in Africa, both make profits and continue having a strong economy. Unfortunatly Mugabe did possibly the stupidist thing he could in destroying the farming sector, which had a knock on effect to almost every other industry. Land had to be re-distributed, but he and his cronies have made a complete mess of it. However in the cities, there are still business's running as they did and having no problems.
You make it sound like there was this magic wand. Poof, your white and in South Africa, open a business and employ a few black slaves, easy as that. That was the basis for every business in South Africa that made profit.

My wife actually started her first business in 1999 and I in 1995, post apartheid rule.

So if South Africa has moved on from slave labour etc etc and the cost of living is fantastic in SA why then is there still millions of homeless black people under black ANC rule ? Why is the unemployment at 40% ? Why is there starving children there?

Don’t you agree that there are just far too many street children running around in SA with no home, no food, and no clothes? You must have seen this when you did your tours in SA?

Opening a business in SA:-

Don’t you think that under black ANC rule they should stop their bad business ethics and stop pouring money into a sinking ship like SAA simply because they are competing on an international arena where customers can pick & chose the airline they wish to fly on merit not based on some affirmative action plan?

I did a lot of work with SAA and the problems the BEE (racial preferencing employment programme) has created in terms of staff and performance (lack of actually) as staff were getting hired due to their race not on their skills and once in their employment SAA could not fire most of the non-performing workers as the many of the workers don’t understand that they are expected to perform. They have been told that they have a right to have this job because they come from a previously disadvantaged history (white slavery). SAA was rated No 3 in the world in the 80s and was a profitable business.

The latest reports say that SAA is considering cutting on-board meals and re-trenching some 1000 workers and the SA government is pouring billions of Rands into a non-profitable business.

I didn’t hear any mention of improving their service offering which is what customers with options will consider.

So looking at South Africa competing on an international business scale such as this example where obviously the racial preferencing employment programmes are actually detrimental to the business what message would you say this is sending out to potential international investors maybe considering between China and South Africa.

Where does SAA rate now in terms a global operating business
Old Apr 10th 2007, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Susie1979UK

I've read all the comments about 'Don't do it', 'you're a fool' but IF we were to do it, how would we do it successfully?

Thanks!
I am South African by birth and miss certain aspects of the country.
I think i is sad that the Campbells whist not even beng South African seem to be so very concerned with the country affter making a future elsewhere.
South Africa is not for everybody, some people reckon they love the excitement and flux, many foreigners in fact. it just got to much for me. most people find it a friendly interesting country, I wont delve intot eh negatives as you have heard much of that.
Do it successfully you ask?
Firstly be open minded about the way things work. Very slowly in government, but pretty quick elsewhere.
If you have your own business in the right industry you can still make plenty of money there. Be aware of the fact that a little money can often grease a wheel, but dont be blatant about it. People returning there for holidays from Australia say building is booming, shops are busy, their friends are making good money and living well.
Dont bother trying to get a job at a big company or government type place becuase if you are not a black South African, you will struggle.
Make sure you are vigilant at all times about security and you will be OK.
Get a good medical aid, and if you have children try to get them into private or church run schools.
Good luck and all the best if you do go.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PSSCORER
He doesn't have a job to go to, but i am an accounting technician and his mum is an accountant. The plan is for me to become involved with her business. Paul is currently studying so I am used to being the breadwinner!

Do you know anything about the visa side of things?

My plan was to enter SA on the travel visa and then apply for residency out there. A friend has recently done the same thing, although she doesn't work so I'm not sure if the temporary visa i'll get will allow me to work.

Apparently it can take up to 2 years to get your visa, my friend has to keep renewing her temporary one while her application is in the queue.

I've left several messages with the SA consulate in London - but have had no reply.

Any advice on visa's / work would be appreciated.
Come into SA on a tourist visa and then use your SA partner to get a life partner visa. Use an agent to do all the work for you (cheap and straightforward). I can recommend a good one in Cape Town - PM me if you're interested. My permanent residency took 15 months, but I didn't need to renew anything at any point. As soon as you apply for permanent residency, you are covered for 24 months as long as you continue to reside with your SA partner.

Loving SA and all it has to offer. Just this weekend, I took my little son to the mountains, to the beach and for a crawl around and picnic in the local vineyard. You can't do that in many places in the world.

Later today, I'm off to Khayelitsha to the TB Clinic there. Campbells would have you believe that I won't make it out of the townships alive. But I've done it hundreds of times before. And ...gasp... I'm ...gasp... white.

Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sa2oz
I am South African by birth and miss certain aspects of the country. I think i is sad that the Campbells whist not even beng South African seem to be so very concerned with the country affter making a future elsewhere..
I was a South African citizen and lived there for over 20 years. I considered SA my home . BTW – you too have made a future elsewhere, you are safely in Australia . According to you because of BEE etc.

South Africa is not for everybody, some people reckon they love the excitement and flux, many foreigners in fact. it just got to much for me. most people find it a friendly interesting country, I wont delve intot eh negatives as you have heard much of that. .
The negative reasons are the ones why you left. Gee, such a patriotic person.

Firstly be open minded about the way things work. Very slowly in government, but pretty quick elsewhere. .
Define *open minded*, you mean become brainwashed ?

If you have your own business in the right industry you can still make plenty of money there. Be aware of the fact that a little money can often grease a wheel, but dont be blatant about it. People returning there for holidays from Australia say building is booming, shops are busy, their friends are making good money and living well.
If you have your business in the right industry you can make it anywhere in the world.
The wheel-greasing, that’s the first part of the brain-washing, just accept it and become it.

People returning there for holidays from Australia say building is booming, shops are busy, their friends are making good money and living well. .
And peacefully & safe? That’s why they are all going back to Australia or wherever they have moved to just like you.

Dont bother trying to get a job at a big company or government type place becuase if you are not a black South African, you will struggle.
So South Africa still suffers from racism.

Make sure you are vigilant at all times about security and you will be OK..
If you don’t you will be either dead or raped in which case HIV infected.

Good luck and all the best if you do go.
Luck is playing poker; personally I don’t play poker with the lives of my wife and son.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by 6000
Come into SA on a tourist visa and then use your SA partner to get a life partner visa. Use an agent to do all the work for you (cheap and straightforward). I can recommend a good one in Cape Town - PM me if you're interested. My permanent residency took 15 months, but I didn't need to renew anything at any point. As soon as you apply for permanent residency, you are covered for 24 months as long as you continue to reside with your SA partner.

Loving SA and all it has to offer. Just this weekend, I took my little son to the mountains, to the beach and for a crawl around and picnic in the local vineyard. You can't do that in many places in the world.

Later today, I'm off to Khayelitsha to the TB Clinic there. Campbells would have you believe that I won't make it out of the townships alive. But I've done it hundreds of times before. And ...gasp... I'm ...gasp... white.
Hey, they still got armed guards ( with pump action shotguns) at all the supermarkets . Can’t do that in many places in the world too.

BTW, New Zealand has some spectacular beaches and some nice vineyards ( okay not the Franshoek) and the nice thing about them is I feel totally comfortable with my wife going for a walk on the beach on her own after dark. Priceless …

We lived in CT for a year and yes, sure it is stunning, but …………….

Hey, I am sure you have been to townships hundreds of times and got out alive. Personally I wouldn’t continue taking that risk but hey, you know better than me, after all you have been in Africa a couple of years now.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Campbells
You assume too much. I am British, went to SA in the 80s working on contract.
Perhaps you provoke too many assumptions by your arrogant bullying style.............

I was working in Europe 92 onwards and actually returned to SA just before the 94 elections. I was the one that SA people were telling me I was mad and I was the one full of positive vision for the future of South Africa. Having left South Africa in 2005 I was there for 11 years in the so-called new South Africa.
You were the thatone person!! Wow. Thank you for showing your self importance to everyone. Obviously your business was a failure and you had to leave. or am I assuming too much...................................

I lived in SA for over 20 years. I understand you went there as a tourist and bought the t-shirt. You live in London, if Africa is so awesome why don’t you live there?
Not very good at reading are you? I said I live 3-4 months of the year in Harare. I was in SA (and often go to SA) to meet friends. Obviously I wear a bullet proof vest and carry an SA80 into the war zone that you describe...............I might have not lived in SA, I know plenty who do and they certainly do not paint such a negative picture as you.

You conveniently left out a key word. The question was *secure* serviced apartments.
Oh, I am so sorry. Therefore are you:

1) Saying there is not a single secure serviced apartment in or around Jo'Burg?
or
2) Saying you don't know of any?

Either way - why did you answer the thread? Let someone else do it.

Maybe I spent too much time in Africa as this is how most African governments react.
By arrogant bullying? Perhaps in Idi Amins Africa. Maybe you should go and live in the Congo - might suit you.

52 murders a day (and that is with media control) in South Africa. Tell me where in London you had a crime scene where it involved 15 people in military attire using R5 rifles ? Just quote me one …. ?

Well obviously that happens every other day in SA doesn't it. Again - never denyed there was a problem with crime. But the fact is if you are careful and you take precautions you can live safetly and have a good life. Most of those 52 murders are not committed in any of the places where people who are going to live when coming from Britain. You know it and I know it.

So why do you live in London if you can have this life in *paradise* in SA ?

If you take a R15 k gross salary what purchase value do you think that will offer in SA to buy your own home ?
Already been down this one.

Do you happen to know what that amount is? Please explain why anyone would want to consider moving to SA to start a business when they must invest I think it is R2 million in the country and then they are not allowed to take the money they in the business back out should they want to at a later stage? Have your friends given 51 % of their businesses to local black people?
As with the passport thing you got wrong and then didn't answer (with regards to duel nationality) if you actually look at the legislation you can take out the money.

You obviously work for some human rights organisation.

Cheers
And who is assuming now? I do not work for a human rights organisation. Although the way you phrased that obviously shows your distaste for them................

The fact is you are an arrogant bully boy who shouts down anyone who disagree's with him. It's a common thing on the Internet. If you were less agressive to people but still giving the same message - no one would mind, but it does show considering I have several PM's and rep comments agreeing and saying well done for calling you out.

Perhaps you don't realise yourself what an agressive bully you are.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

I was a South African citizen and lived there for over 20 years. I considered SA my home . BTW – you too have made a future elsewhere, you are safely in Australia . According to you because of BEE etc.

The negative reasons are the ones why you left. Gee, such a patriotic person.

Define *open minded*, you mean become brainwashed ?

If you have your business in the right industry you can make it anywhere in the world.
The wheel-greasing, that’s the first part of the brain-washing, just accept it and become it.

And peacefully & safe? That’s why they are all going back to Australia oherever they have moved to just like you.

So South Africa still suffers from racism.

Luck is playing poker; personally I don’t play poker with the lives of my wife and son.
Case in point of rude and agressive post from Campbell.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Hey, they still got armed guards ( with pump action shotguns) at all the supermarkets . Can’t do that in many places in the world too.

No. Seen that once. No worse than Heathrow.

Hey, I am sure you have been to townships hundreds of times and got out alive. Personally I wouldn’t continue taking that risk but hey, you know better than me, after all you have been in Africa a couple of years now.
And I bet you never dared go near one of them. No wonder you're so scared of "African Life" You haven't a clue what it is!

Disgusting.

Thank god this country is rid of you. People like you moving away is actually solving the problems, bit by bit. I don't agree with Terror Lekota, but maybe he'd met you... in which case - fair play to the man.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

You live in London, if Africa is so awesome why don’t you live there?

If New Zealand is so "awesome", how come you can't stop talking about South Africa on here? Smacks to me of desperation for trying to justify your move.
Well - you did it. You moved. Close the door. Move on.

Bye!
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:11 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 6000

If New Zealand is so "awesome", how come you can't stop talking about South Africa on here? Smacks to me of desperation for trying to justify your move.
Well - you did it. You moved. Close the door. Move on.

Bye!
Well said! No if only I could give you Karma.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.