Silly Me !

Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

PeterHaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Silly Me !

Originally Posted by Mrs Petrie
Here I was looking for a board where I could have light hearted chats with BRITISH ex-pats living in SA about the the things we miss from home and the things that drive us mad ie lack of cradit card payment facilities !

What do I find ? The forum is full of South African ex-pats slagging off their country.

I'm from the UK, Surrey, and came here first 3 years ago on my way around the world. I didnt want to come necessarily but thats the way the ticket worked. I was very wary. In my limited previous experience the only South Africans I'd met had all been ignorant, arrogant racists who hated the new South Africa and all it stood for. I was also concerned about the levels of crime reported to us in the UK.

However, what I found when I got here was a whole other story. The people were friendly and willing to go out of their way to help and invite you into their families. I made good friends here and stayed for 4 months. In fact I loved it so much that I moved here to Plettenberg Bay, 2 years ago, after my travels.

This country isnt perfect, far from it, but where I live its as close as you'll find. Crime ? I havent locked my car for 2 years, my front door is open all day and most of the evening. Would I live in Joburg ? Never. I dont want to live behind razor wire and Dobermans which is a fact of life there. I know people who have gone through horrific experiences and I can understand totally if some of them have left the country feeling very bitter indeed.

South Africa is a very big country with major issues to resolve but its moving in the right direction. If any British ex-pats would like to chat, I'm all ears.
Hallo Mrs. Petrie !
I'll be coming to SA with my wife at the end of August initially for a year but if an appropriate business opportunity turns up we'll be looking at the long term. Like you were we're keen to start something new but also wary so your tellings gave us something of a lift. Could you imagine giving me your telephone number so we could give you a call ? Email is ok in its way but at this stage of our preparation I just feel the need to speak to someone like yourself. [email protected] Many thanks in advance !