RSA Boarding Schools

Old May 15th 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

ForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really nice
Default RSA Boarding Schools

I am considering sending my sons to boarding school in SA for a varitey of reasons. At the moment we are thinking about Hilton College, approx 1 hour north of Durban, and Bishops, Cape Town. Being British with no connections in SA I wondered how easy my sons would fit in to the culture of private school in SA. One of my sons isn't sporty and I've heard thats a big negative in SA, and I've also heard that there is a high bully culture in these schools - is that completely inaccurate? More importantly I want to know how safe my sons will be over there. Will two 13 year old white british boys stand out, and are there things that one should know i.e. places not to go?
I think the lifestyle, education and culture wil really enrich my sons lifes and I am pro this idea but my hubby is completely paranoid about how dangerous SA is, or at least is preceived to be. I hope I have not offended anyone and any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:22 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RSA Boarding Schools

Your hubby's got it right. You just have to read a little to comprehend just how violent the country has become. It is however a moot point as you will have to get a visa for them which alone will be a huge challenge.

Please offer us more about you in the Intro thread.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:42 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ForeignGal
I am considering sending my sons to boarding school in SA for a varitey of reasons. At the moment we are thinking about Hilton College, approx 1 hour north of Durban, and Bishops, Cape Town. Being British with no connections in SA I wondered how easy my sons would fit in to the culture of private school in SA. One of my sons isn't sporty and I've heard thats a big negative in SA, and I've also heard that there is a high bully culture in these schools - is that completely inaccurate? More importantly I want to know how safe my sons will be over there. Will two 13 year old white british boys stand out, and are there things that one should know i.e. places not to go?
I think the lifestyle, education and culture wil really enrich my sons lifes and I am pro this idea but my hubby is completely paranoid about how dangerous SA is, or at least is preceived to be. I hope I have not offended anyone and any info would be greatly appreciated.
That would make me nerves as hell. It would be an enriching experience, but it could be a very dangerous one as well. Good luck.
Old May 15th 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

My answer might surprise some here, but I actually think it's worth doing - certainly if your only alternative is to send your children to UK Comprehensive state schools.

If you can manage a UK private - or "Public" - school, that would be better still.

You can presumably chat to Hilton about your concerns. I suspect your children would be ok from a security point of view.

I suspect, too, that Hilton will have other foreign students. You could ask too about visas. I don't think that would be a problem - not for school students. Foreign children also attend UK schools, as I'm sure you are aware, and they have no difficulty either.
Old May 15th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

ForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really niceForeignGal is just really nice

Thanks for posting. What are the reputations of these schools - are the well-known/have kuodos? That may sound elitist but to be worth doing I have to feelthat I am getting serious value. Similar schools in the UK are 4 times the price!

This may sound a strange question but even driving from the airport to school at Kuwal-Natal an hour away - could you get stopped or gunned down? and if I felt the need for security to and from the school, how much would it cost, can they be trusted and how effective would it be?

Last edited by ForeignGal; May 15th 2008 at 4:17 pm. Reason: typing error
Old May 15th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting. What are the reputations of these schools - are the well-known/have kuodos? That may sound elitist but to be worth doing I have to feelthat I am getting serious value. Similar schools in the UK are 4 times the price!

This may sound a strange question but even driving from the airport to school at Kuwal-Natal an hour away - could you get stopped or gunned down? and if I felt the need for security to and from the school, how much would it cost, can they be trusted and how effective would it be?
Hilton is (or certainly was) considered one of the best, on a par with a good British "Public" school. Don't worry about elitism. Education by its very nature is elitist. So is excellence. If you wait till everyone wants it, you will wait till hell freezes over.

But look. On security, there are never any guarantees. It is highly likely your kids would be fine on their journey. But you are never going to get watertight guarantees. No one ever expects to get killed in a car crash either. But such things happen. If you think it's something that will obsess you, then you'd be better not to bother with the whole project. The last thing you want to do is send them, and then change your mind and disrupt their education.

Others here will confirm (I think) that I'm not one of those who downplays the crime situation in SA.

By the way, you should check that Hilton does an internationally recognised certificate - the IB, for example, or 'A' Levels. I assume they do, but I'm not sure.
Old May 15th 2008, 4:27 pm

It’s unlikely to you would get gunned down. You just have to keep your wits about you.
Old May 15th 2008, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

and what would the safest option be - Cape Town or Durban? Due to school holidays I would probably have to come out twice a year for up to 4 weeks on my own. where should I stay - hotel or rental, and will I need security? I really appreciate all this info

and is it a disadvantage if your child isn't sporty?
Old May 15th 2008, 4:40 pm

and what would the safest option be - Cape Town or Durban? Due to school holidays I would probably have to come out twice a year for up to 4 weeks on my own. where should I stay - hotel or rental, and will I need security? I really appreciate all this info

Cape town, but durbs is more fun
Old May 15th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Cape town, but durbs is more fun

Would you mind expanding Hatfield?
Old May 15th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

You need to speak to the school and ask them about that. I don't think they have any interest in giving a dishonest answer.

It goes without saying that you need to visit the school prior to any decision too. A friend of mine went to Hilton. He wasn't sporty, in fact he was surprisingly normal for a South African.

Don't worry about stuff like accommodation for your visits at this stage. That's easy enough to sort out. And no, you won't need special security. Whichever school you pick will probably advise on the best places to stay.
Old May 15th 2008, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

italyexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Having spent the best part of my life in RSA, worked in Uk and now in Europe, and having lived down the road from Hilton college. I can tell you that the schooling your child will get at a private school in South Africa is one of the best in the world. There is bullying in every school and the british comp system is the worst.
You don't say why you want to send them there? what is motivating you, perhaps the violence in Uk that is rife or the delclining standard of education there in the yob culture?
If these are your concerns, then the schooling at either Bishops or Hilton will seem like a paradise. My children were both educated there first govt and then private. I can honestly say that I now live and teach in Europe as I met my partner here, and every day I thank my lucky stars that they were educated there. S.A. does have crime problems, especially around Johannesburg, but dont believe everything you read. Your boys will have Brit passports. The combination of a brit passport and a South african education is an unbeatable combination as far as job potential goes. Speak to both these schools and they can give you real information. Both schools have a website.They will join other boys from Uk there and soon fit in.
Just be aware that discipline is still given in S.A schools and an admissions policy of good marks, that's why the yob culture there isn't what it is in Uk and USA in govt schools. Good luck with your plans
Old May 15th 2008, 4:56 pm

Would you mind expanding Hatfield?
I have family in and around Durbs, so I’m a bit bias to the area. I think your child would do fine in either part of the country.
Old May 15th 2008, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

I'm sure many will disapprove but my motives originally financial. It will cost me around £100K, all in, to send my boys to boarding school in the UK and around £35k including flights to send them to Hilton. But once I started to look into the schools I began to like the lifestyle it offered children, and I felt the boys would enriched culturally too. My uncle brought his kids up in Malawi and when they entered the UK system they were three years ahead, and that was state school and I have heard schooling in South Africa is good, academically speaking.
Although my husband is fairly against the idea at present due to his fears, he prefers Hilton, however we have family (don't know them but wouldn't be difficult to keep in close contact) in Thornton, Cape Town so I wonder if it would be sensible to opt for Bishops. My husband is against this too as he thinks its more dangerous for them to be educated in a city school. Do these private schools have security guards or is it unnecessary?
Old May 15th 2008, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure many will disapprove but my motives originally financial. It will cost me around £100K, all in, to send my boys to boarding school in the UK and around £35k including flights to send them to Hilton. But once I started to look into the schools I began to like the lifestyle it offered children, and I felt the boys would enriched culturally too. My uncle brought his kids up in Malawi and when they entered the UK system they were three years ahead, and that was state school and I have heard schooling in South Africa is good, academically speaking.
Although my husband is fairly against the idea at present due to his fears, he prefers Hilton, however we have family (don't know them but wouldn't be difficult to keep in close contact) in Thornton, Cape Town so I wonder if it would be sensible to opt for Bishops. My husband is against this too as he thinks its more dangerous for them to be educated in a city school. Do these private schools have security guards or is it unnecessary?
Make a list of your concerns and questions. Look at the web sites. Speak to them by phone. Then go and visit. Then make up your mind.

Ask about security. Everyone does in SA. When you visit, speak to the (older) children too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.