Reload this Page >

Returning to SA after 14 years

Returning to SA after 14 years

Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Aileen007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to SA after 14 years

Hi

We are on our way back to Cape Town in June - I want to take my car with me but am worried about the duty that might be imposed by SARS - trying to ring them is a nightmare. Does anyone know how they assess your eligibility criteria as having left SA with no intention of returning ( which was the case 14 years ago) we never closed down bank accounts and did not formally emigrate to the UK. What will they be looking for when making a decision about whether we need to pay duty or not ? Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to SA after 14 years

Originally Posted by Aileen007
Hi

We are on our way back to Cape Town in June - I want to take my car with me but am worried about the duty that might be imposed by SARS - trying to ring them is a nightmare. Does anyone know how they assess your eligibility criteria as having left SA with no intention of returning ( which was the case 14 years ago) we never closed down bank accounts and did not formally emigrate to the UK. What will they be looking for when making a decision about whether we need to pay duty or not ? Thanks
You may have to pay VAT on the value. And may be some tea money ;-)
Old Mar 16th 2018, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Aileen007 is an unknown quantity at this point

So I’ve looked at the equivalent secondhand vehicle in SA - comes in around R290 000.00 so I’m looking at 15% for the VAT which will be around R44 000.00 plus about £500 clearing fees and ‘tea money’ so all in all about £5000 plus the cost of shipping £1300 so about £6000 or thereabouts ? Am I missing anything. As a returning citizen we will hopefully be excerpt from duty , is there anyone who has taken a car over in the last year ?? Some tips would be great please 👍
Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:57 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

I’m going to close this thread as there are already 2 other ones running from the same OP on the same point.