Remembering Africa

Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice
Default Re: Remembering Africa

Baghdad Cafe in Sunninghill. Could not get over the fact that it was R20 entrance and drink all you could from 8pm-midnight. My mate and I used to get a case of Carling Black Label each and get smashed- maybe a bottle of Apple Sourz and then I was sweet to get back into my car and drive home...

Also the Roxy and Cool Runnings in Melville (long may the good days live in my head)- also the Ibiza raves of the late 90s out at Gallagher Estate (flashback now- as seaninoz is bouncing off the walls of the office)..

So many good days- but as I always say only remember the good times..
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:30 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by SeaninOzalready
Baghdad Cafe in Sunninghill. Could not get over the fact that it was R20 entrance and drink all you could from 8pm-midnight. My mate and I used to get a case of Carling Black Label each and get smashed- maybe a bottle of Apple Sourz and then I was sweet to get back into my car and drive home...

Also the Roxy and Cool Runnings in Melville (long may the good days live in my head)- also the Ibiza raves of the late 90s out at Gallagher Estate (flashback now- as seaninoz is bouncing off the walls of the office)..

Gee but you're a lightie!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Gee but you're a lightie!
I have not heard that saying in a good long while. Yes I suppose I am in the greater scheme of things. Packed up after the degree with 200 pounds and the British passport and now happy in Oz..
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:07 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I have not heard that saying in a good long while. Yes I suppose I am in the greater scheme of things. Packed up after the degree with 200 pounds and the British passport and now happy in Oz..
Tegs and I have an online friend who came here with 50US and a Master's Degree many years ago and got a job right away
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Tegs and I have an online friend who came here with 50US and a Master's Degree many years ago and got a job right away
yes mate it is entirely possible. It has not been plain sailling, but I won't be going back. My sister has left and my folks might also be following (they are all in Uk though).

I like chatting to you guys though and reminiscing about the old times..Keeps me sane at work.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:29 am

yes mate it is entirely possible. It has not been plain sailling, but I won't be going back. My sister has left and my folks might also be following (they are all in Uk though).

I like chatting to you guys though and reminiscing about the old times..Keeps me sane at work.
I take my hat off to you starting a new life like that Takes guts and determination.

I have often told people that if they can't move to a first world country right away, that there are places like Dubai, etc..that they can move to, and find a way to make it to their final intended destination eventually.

Unfortunately, many are just too lazy to want to do that.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

I take my hat off to you starting a new life like that Takes guts and determination.

I have often told people that if they can't move to a first world country right away, that there are places like Dubai, etc..that they can move to, and find a way to make it to their final intended destination eventually.

Unfortunately, many are just too lazy to want to do that.
Agreed mate. On your previous note on the cleaners (I never had a miad or gardener growing up), my housemates in London never even knew how to operate the washing machine. How depressing. I also had tyo teach them that iroing could be done by others other than 'Beauty'. As for laziness, I have found that many SAs are fond of just patting themsleves on the back. They think they are the bees knees here in Oz, but there are also plenty of other talented good people in the world and they come down with a bump in the world outside SA.

I have mates who have moved out here and then gone back because they have ahd to clean and mow their own lawn.. I just don't sympathise..
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:51 am

I have mates who have moved out here and then gone back because they have ahd to clean and mow their own lawn.. I just don't sympathise..
Isn't that just the STUPIDEST most LUDICROUS thing though? I've known some like that.

In fact, I had a couple arrive here a few years ago, I found him work, and she got a job at a local nursery school owned by S.Africans. She quit after 3 days because, 'I didn't come half way across the world to clean kaffir baby's backsides'.

I had a fit and never spoke to them again. They went back a month or two later. This after she'd been attacked and badly beaten, reason they left in the first place. We organized them a flat, furnished the place from beds to cutlery, through the generosity of the s.a. community and our american friends..etc.....left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Isn't that just the STUPIDEST most LUDICROUS thing though? I've known some like that.

In fact, I had a couple arrive here a few years ago, I found him work, and she got a job at a local nursery school owned by S.Africans. She quit after 3 days because, 'I didn't come half way across the world to clean kaffir baby's backsides'.

I had a fit and never spoke to them again. They went back a month or two later. This after she'd been attacked and badly beaten, reason they left in the first place. We organized them a flat, furnished the place from beds to cutlery, through the generosity of the s.a. community and our american friends..etc.....left a very bad taste in my mouth.
I know it just infuriates me no end. I was one of the first from my uni class etc to move to London. I worked hard- did all the yards and toughed out the whole job agency nightmare etc. I wish I had had someone besides my sis to help me. Anyways slowly but surely people I knew started to come across and then suddenly they would aksing for job contacts (nights on the sofa, loans of money) and pleading poverty as to how expensive the UK was. I helped the first couple and now refuse to do it to anyone (unless close family) ever again. Bunch of bloody free loaders.

The icing on the cake was when one of my sisters old mates came out to stay with us and I took them to Wimbledon. They wanted to go, yet whinged about the cost from the time we were in line. Then the rain came down (it is London- expect it) and they wanteda refund. I told them perfect chance to hit the pub. Again more whinging about the cost of drinks (I bought them a Pimms ech at 3 quid to shut them up). Walking home in the rain - 30 minute walk and we had umbrellas (well you may as well have asked them to walk across the Sahara with no water). The moaning and grumbling.. I can't stand for it- called them a load of spoilled brats and chucked them out to sleep in a hostel for the rest of the trip. My sis came home with our other housemate from work and asked where they were- I told her I chucked them out. At first she was horrified (she is typical SA in very hospitable), but then agreed that we had rolled out the red carpet for them and they had just taken and brought nothing to the party.

Long and short of it is you have a good heart for helping those people to start with..
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:10 am

I truly don't mind helping the folk. But S.Africans in general have such a huge chip on their shoulder - comes from being told by the media etc..that they're the best in the world - kind of thing, which you won't remember but the Nat propaganda machine was in full force for many years and many fell for the party line.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

I truly don't mind helping the folk. But S.Africans in general have such a huge chip on their shoulder - comes from being told by the media etc..that they're the best in the world - kind of thing, which you won't remember but the Nat propaganda machine was in full force for many years and many fell for the party line.
That is so true. I saw many many folk like that in London with the attitude that they would rule the world suddenly. many here also can't live with the Ozzie humour and hence get very hot under the collar.. I have made the best attempt to integrate and even waved my Ozzie flag at the cricket yesterday. They appreciate that here.

Whereabouts in Yankland are you based mate?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:31 am

That is so true. I saw many many folk like that in London with the attitude that they would rule the world suddenly. many here also can't live with the Ozzie humour and hence get very hot under the collar.. I have made the best attempt to integrate and even waved my Ozzie flag at the cricket yesterday. They appreciate that here.

Whereabouts in Yankland are you based mate?
Florida.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:42 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Anyone remeber the Ambassador on a Sunday evening in the mid 70s when you had to have a token meal to get drinks! it was usually some horrible sausage with a bit of mash on a plastic plate....cheap champagne though with corks fired at the live bands
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

I remember those raves, they were fab, each room set with a different theme, brilliant.

Do you remeber Roxy student night before it got popular? Free burgers if you were one of the 1st 100 or something and free entry.

But my all time fav place was Question mark! Anyone ever go there?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
I remember those raves, they were fab, each room set with a different theme, brilliant.

Do you remeber Roxy student night before it got popular? Free burgers if you were one of the 1st 100 or something and free entry.

But my all time fav place was Question mark! Anyone ever go there?
Yes yes and yes. You are obviously of my generation. Those were good days. I also remember the Viper room in Rosebank and pumpernickles in Hillbrow.

As for the Roxy student nite, I still remember Lyn (the owner) and knew all the bar staff by name and sight. Used to be able to go in in shorts and t-shirts and play pool all nite long with beers at R10 a six pack.. Used to get sooo wrecked and then just drive up to Rau for classes after closing time and 5:30am. I was there every Monday till they played 'Closing Time' the first year of my uni. The Thursday nite drink all you could was also great- Lyn used to let us go to the top bar and our own barmen....Such amazing memories..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.