Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

RE: UK flat screen TV work in SA

RE: UK flat screen TV work in SA

Old May 6th 2012, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Movin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud of
Default RE: UK flat screen TV work in SA

Hi there,

Does anybody have any experience with regards to taking a TV from the UK to South Africa ?

We have a 42 inch, LG LED with built in freeview

Would like to understand if that will work in SA.

Thanks for any input
Old May 7th 2012, 4:48 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK flat screen TV work in SA

Originally Posted by Movin
Hi there,

Does anybody have any experience with regards to taking a TV from the UK to South Africa ?

We have a 42 inch, LG LED with built in freeview

Would like to understand if that will work in SA.

Thanks for any input
Hi mate,

Yup, it will work just fine. All your appliances will work. Bring a load of those 4 socket UK extension leads and when you get here change the plug. Whack it in the wall, plug your UK plug into the extension and away you go. My TVs, fridge, dishwasher etc are all British. White goods are not too badly priced so it may be worth just buying them here anyway - but TVs are still twice the price compared to the UK.

Free view won't work, and your sky box won't work either. You will need DSTV which works the same way. Sport is excellent, movies are ok, but you will only have about 20 watchable channels instead of 100 that you have now. You will be outside on the BBQ or on the golf course (or stuck in traffic) so you won't have time to watch TV.

The really expensive thing down here are cars. Again, double the price and 11% interest on finance. If I had to do the trip again I'd look into bringing mine over. Might be worth checking out. Could be a hassle - but will save you money I'm sure.

Well done on the move. Shout if you need anything else.

Ed
Old May 7th 2012, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Movin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud ofMovin has much to be proud of

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your response – appreciate!

Good thinking on the 4-ways, that’s what I did when we were over on hols last month.

Good news re the TV, to be honest not big watchers but bought this one last year with a nice Blu Ray blah blah blah so would like to keep it as second hand here is pretty much not a lot. Much rather be outdoors and as first prize – in the bush!

Will be doing the logistics of it all re what to bring and what to sell and replace there. Yes SA car prices are way steep and we are only allowed to bring one in duty free, would have likes to have brought both but hey. It’s a lengthy admin process but worth it due to the high prices of cars over there.

Looking into bringing a container over with the car (station wagon) inside so lots of research to do re what to bring and what not to. So glad the TV is a keeper as they too are a lot more pricey over there.

Have a lekker day mate

Cheers
Old May 7th 2012, 12:40 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

No worries - shout if you need anything else.

Can you not bring a car each? Just a thought. I think the one car refers to an individual, not a household. we also brought our dog and cat so if you need advice there too I can help.

Good luck with the move mate, it's getting cold down here so wrap up warm...
Old May 7th 2012, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Car import to SA

Hi Ed,

Looked into the car and there was some conflicting info (AA SA site) but after much searching sadly it’s only one car per family. Must comment that the various departments I did contact (inc SARS) got back to me pretty quickly with a response which was very nice.

We don’t have any pets here – thank you.

We envisage that my wife and son will fly over to SA early July and probably early to mid Sept for me, so yes, it will still be cold (by SA terms) there. We were discussing this the other day and the vast temperature variance plays a big part in that as it can drop to sub zero in Joburg during the night but be up to the 20s during the day so that is quite a temperature shift.

Will be keeping our updates on here.

BTW – where in Jozi are you ?

Thanks again mate - appreciate
Old May 7th 2012, 2:31 pm

Default Re: Car import to SA

Originally Posted by Movin
BTW – where in Jozi are you?
we're near Olivedale - off Malibongwe. Work in Woodmead.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:30 am
Banned

SharonCrawford is an unknown quantity at this point

It will work......
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

chinnysa is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Ed,

Brought my TV over, purchased an adaptor for R50 from Hi-Fi Corp, connected to dstv.

All good
Old Oct 25th 2012, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

alansnow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Most people in SA, esp. expats, subscribe to DSTV which is delivered by satellite (a 70cm dish is recommended). DSTV and others supply a set-top box and. optionally a hard-disk recorder to decode/record the satellite signal.

All UK/European TVs will work fine in SA (that is, they will correctly display the signal coming from the set top box/ HDD recorder, which is set-up to decode the satellite signal).

The only (UK/European) device that won't work in SA is a set-top box (decoder) or HDD recorder designed to decode cable tv (and not satellite TV).

In The Netherlands, for example, nearly every street in the whole country is laid with cable TV, so most people subscribe to a cable TV service, which delivers a TV signal in 'DVB-C' format, which is not compatible with the TV signal received via a satellite dish ('DVB-S' format). Therefore such a set-top box/HDD recorder won't decode the DSTV (satellite) signal.
Hope this helps