Pretoria 2005

Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

mrbluesky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pretoria 2005

Could Anybody Tell Me And My Family What Life Is Like In General In Pretoria As We Lived There 1981-1991, Enjoyed The Lifestyle And Now Back In Wet Uk. Crime And Job Prospects Would Be An Area That Would Be Of Special Interest To Us, As If We Did Emigrate We Have 2 Young Children.
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Pretoria 2005

Originally Posted by mrbluesky
Could Anybody Tell Me And My Family What Life Is Like In General In Pretoria As We Lived There 1981-1991, Enjoyed The Lifestyle And Now Back In Wet Uk. Crime And Job Prospects Would Be An Area That Would Be Of Special Interest To Us, As If We Did Emigrate We Have 2 Young Children.
Its called Tshwane now. Sorry, can't help much more past that

http://www.tshwane.gov.za/
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mrbluesky
I immigrated to Australia two years ago from SA. My in-laws all live in Pta. You can no longer safely walk the streets in broad daylight. Gone are the days of evening strolls & doing window shopping at night. My mother-in-law has been robbed twice, every one of her neighbours have been robbed at least once. My brother-in-law is installing 6m high fencing with electric wires all around his home. When we went to visit them from Jhb they'd call us six times on the way home to make sure we weren't hijacked on the way. There are traffic signs on off-ramps warning you that this is a "Hijacking Risk" area!!! They live inside the house with doors and windows closed or barracaded. Panic buttons in every room. A metal gate in each of their home's passageways to prevent anyone who takes the front door off it's hinges from gaining access to the bedrooms. In areas such as Midrand some of our friends have been robbed so often they don't even bother to replace most items. Our one friend got robbed down to the last teaspoon 3 times in two months! The last time they got robbed they'd just gone down to the local Cafe for milk and when they came home the back sliding door & safety gates had been taken off & everything they owned was gone.

There are more jobs for tradespeople in some industries due to the number of skilled people leaving the country, but not if you are white. Many jobs are "reserved" for blacks due to AA.

If you'd like to live like that feel free to move back.

Last edited by G'Day; Mar 13th 2005 at 10:25 am.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

mrbluesky is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Pretoria 2005

Originally Posted by G'Day
I immigrated to Australia two years ago from SA. My in-laws all live in Pta. You can no longer safely walk the streets in broad daylight. Gone are the days of evening strolls & doing window shopping at night. My mother-in-law has been robbed twice, every one of her neighbours have been robbed at least once. My brother-in-law is installing 6m high fencing with electric wires all around his home. When we went to visit them from Jhb they'd call us six times on the way home to make sure we weren't hijacked on the way. There are traffic signs on off-ramps warning you that this is a "Hijacking Risk" area!!! They live inside the house with doors and windows closed or barracaded. Panic buttons in every room. A metal gate in each of their home's passageways to prevent anyone who takes the front door off it's hinges from gaining access to the bedrooms. In areas such as Midrand some of our friends have been robbed so often they don't even bother to replace most items. Our one friend got robbed down to the last teaspoon 3 times in two months! The last time they got robbed they'd just gone down to the local Cafe for milk and when they came home the back sliding door & safety gates had been taken off & everything they owned was gone.

There are more jobs for tradespeople in some industries due to the number of skilled people leaving the country, but not if you are white. Many jobs are "reserved" for blacks due to AA.

If you'd like to live like that feel free to move back.
THANKS FOR THE INFO AND YES IT LOOKS LIKE CHANGES HAVE TAKEN PLACE NOT THAT WE DID NOT SEE IT COMING....WE'LL REMEMBER THE BARMY SUNNY DAYS,BILTONG,BRAAIS, CASTLE LAGER,JACQUELINES NIGHTCLUB AND OLD FRIENDS.....THANKS SO MUCH .....BLUESKY
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by G'Day
IThere are traffic signs on off-ramps warning you that this is a "Hijacking Risk" area!!! .
Surely not in Gauteng!!! I heard it was like that in Mpumalanga.....
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by izibear
Surely not in Gauteng!!! I heard it was like that in Mpumalanga.....

It's like that everywhere. Except that in CT they don't have the warnings on the off-ramps because they're afraid of scaring the tourists. But the Western Cape (including good old Hermanus) has the highest crime rate in the entire country!