British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/)
-   -   Possible job offer in Nigeria....Lagos (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/possible-job-offer-nigeria-lagos-883547/)

Sannxoo Sep 19th 2016 6:46 pm

Possible job offer in Nigeria....Lagos

Hi All

I may be in a position to take a job in Nigeria, working for a large multi national company, my existing employer.

I currently live in the UK and would need to re-locate with my wife and two children.

Questions:

What is live like for expats - you can assume the usual relocation package / benefits a large company would offer.

Schools for children - how good are they and the quality of education

Recreational facilities - what parks / things to do for the children outside of school and as a family

My wife, typically what do the wives of expat workers do.

It would be really good to hear of your experiences. The job is a good opportunity. I'm concerned of living predominantly in a compound and not being able to go to the park with the children or even the beach.......I have never been there, so appreciate I may have a blinkered view.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sannxoo Sep 20th 2016 9:36 pm

Re: Possible job offer in Nigeria....Lagos

Wow.....no one is able to give a view on Lagos. Come on guys & girls this is the point of a forum!!

Pollyana Sep 20th 2016 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sannxoo (Post 12057386)
Wow.....no one is able to give a view on Lagos. Come on guys & girls this is the point of a forum!!

I don't think BE has too many members inLagos........

christmasoompa Sep 21st 2016 6:17 am

1) Re-read Site Rule 13 pls.

2) Search the forum to see what's been said about Lagos in the past, and it's unlikely there are many (any?) members living there. I have a friend that was sent on an expat assignment there, said it was worse than living in Beirut and Afghanistan and a complete @£!*hole!

Novocastrian Sep 21st 2016 10:32 am

There's a poster on the Canada forum called Pizzawheel who I'm pretty sure used to live and work in Lagos. You could PM him.

Charl01 Sep 21st 2016 12:07 pm

I lived in Lagos 2012 to 2014.

It's not all that bad as long as you arrive there with no expectations and an open mind.

Depending on where you stay will also make a difference. I didn't have any children in school but it is my understanding that the American School is rather good, if you can get an opening.
Many expats hire a boat over a weekend to visit the beach, a good couple available, white sands palm trees, however very dirty with rubbish on the beach. Not ideal to swim in the sea, bad currents etc.

Parks , again which area you looking at staying?

Sannxoo Sep 21st 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks for the reply charl. I would be looking at ikoyi or bananna island

dfjordan Sep 22nd 2016 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Sannxoo (Post 12056494)
Hi All

I may be in a position to take a job in Nigeria, working for a large multi national company, my existing employer.

I currently live in the UK and would need to re-locate with my wife and two children.

Questions:

What is live like for expats - you can assume the usual relocation package / benefits a large company would offer.

Schools for children - how good are they and the quality of education

Recreational facilities - what parks / things to do for the children outside of school and as a family

My wife, typically what do the wives of expat workers do.

It would be really good to hear of your experiences. The job is a good opportunity. I'm concerned of living predominantly in a compound and not being able to go to the park with the children or even the beach.......I have never been there, so appreciate I may have a blinkered view.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You dont say why you think it is a good opportunity? For a family man, and from what I read, its not a place where you dan expect to go and actually have a pleasant life. No doubt you are thinking short term, and hoping to stick some money in the bank, but if so, is it worth it ? What do you plan to do, once your time there is up?

MartynK Sep 22nd 2016 12:59 pm

I've never been to Lagos but I know several people who have lived/worked there and none of them have had anything positive to say about it, apart from a former colleague who worked for the local office of a British insurer in the early 70s.

There are quite a few challenges. Look here for more info: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-and-security. I assume you also know the 419 scams take their name from Section 419 of the Nigerian Criminal Code (fraud) and that victims have been kidnapped for ransom?

Why don't you ask your employer to fly you out for a recce? A couple of days should be enough to make your mind up.

ededed Sep 22nd 2016 1:39 pm

I went there. Once. *shudder*

Let's just say Johannesburg looks like Dubai or Miami in comparison. Good luck.

Sannxoo Sep 22nd 2016 2:44 pm

Thanks for the reply.....the posting is for approx 3 years. So not insignificant, given the challenging location you're normally well looked after.

scot47 Sep 22nd 2016 6:27 pm

I was in Lagos and in Ondo Stae in the 1970s. Nothing to recommend it - and I did 17 years in Saudi Arabia!

MrsMosquito Mar 3rd 2017 3:14 pm

It may be too late, but I am in Lagos and am happy to answer any questions!

Sannxoo Mar 4th 2017 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by MrsMosquito (Post 12196086)
It may be too late, but I am in Lagos and am happy to answer any questions!

Hi there

Thanks for replying. Just wondering what life is like in general, with children is it safe in expat areas to take a walk around etc.

Still not moved looking at a number of oops.

Thanks

MrsMosquito Mar 4th 2017 8:51 pm

I've been here for 3 years and enjoy my life here, though it is fair to say that some do not. Some expats love it and some hate it! Those who are happy are generally realistic about the pros and cons, and enjoy the benefits - which usually include a decent salary package, frequent flights home, a short flight to Blighty, no time difference, so easy communication with family back home, etc, etc... There is a range of schools available, of variable quality; however most children are very happy here. Some compounds are as large as a village - such as Ocean Parade on Banana Island. Generally you don't walk around - as much due to the traffic and lack of pavements as to any perceived or real security threat. However it is possible to walk and cycle and run on Banana Island. Shopping is more limited than the UK bur really not too bad if I am honest. All together I am very happy here.