Morocco ?

Old Jul 10th 2016, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Default Morocco ?

I wonder if there's anyone here who lives in Morocco and could give me some advice on spending a few months there over the autumn/winter/spring. I was thinking particularly of Taroudant (nice people, big enough to offer plenty to do, interesting area…) but it needn't be there. Not Marrakech.

I liked Figuig too, but that was in 1973 and it's probably changed.

Paul Bowles was fond of Taroundant.

(I couldn't find a Morocco section. If there is one, Mods please move this there.)
Old Jul 13th 2016, 8:50 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Morocco ?

Originally Posted by Sancho
I wonder if there's anyone here who lives in Morocco and could give me some advice on spending a few months there over the autumn/winter/spring. I was thinking particularly of Taroudant (nice people, big enough to offer plenty to do, interesting area…) but it needn't be there. Not Marrakech.

I liked Figuig too, but that was in 1973 and it's probably changed.

Paul Bowles was fond of Taroundant.

(I couldn't find a Morocco section. If there is one, Mods please move this there.)
Welcome to Africa!

Nope, don't think there is a Morocco section so you're in the right place. It's a bit tumble weedy in here so odds are slim of a response, but good luck.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

My son spent a week paragliding there earlier this year. Would that be any use to you?
Old Jul 14th 2016, 8:19 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

in the BE search engine I typed Morocco, the following came up

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=9119833

suggest also that you do a google search under 'expats in morocco' - many expat links & forums came up when I did this

Good luck

Last edited by not2old; Jul 14th 2016 at 8:21 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 3:05 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Only just seen this. I've lived and worked in Morocco for the past 3 1/2 years, on the coast due west of Marrakech. I'd happily spend a few months in Essaouira; great climate all year (unlike inland regions) although summer can be a bit tiring with the wind (and often colder in the evenings / at night than in the winter, because of the wind), great golf, small town with a friendly, bohemian feel to it, cheap taxis (or get a push bike), some excellent restaurants and beach bars, flights direct from Luton (or not too far from Marrakech), beautiful beach (great for wind / sea sports), just the right mix of foreigners and locals, a couple of up-market venues if you want them.

I've met a few Brits who spend months here, especially in the winter: close the home in UK, get cheap flights, rent a cheap apartment, ends up costing less than staying at home. If you buy local products and avoid Carrefoure, then living can be very cheap. 3 months tourist visa.
Old Aug 13th 2016, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Only just seen this. I've lived and worked in Morocco for the past 3 1/2 years, on the coast due west of Marrakech. I'd happily spend a few months in Essaouira; great climate all year (unlike inland regions) although summer can be a bit tiring with the wind (and often colder in the evenings / at night than in the winter, because of the wind), great golf, small town with a friendly, bohemian feel to it, cheap taxis (or get a push bike), some excellent restaurants and beach bars, flights direct from Luton (or not too far from Marrakech), beautiful beach (great for wind / sea sports), just the right mix of foreigners and locals, a couple of up-market venues if you want them.

I've met a few Brits who spend months here, especially in the winter: close the home in UK, get cheap flights, rent a cheap apartment, ends up costing less than staying at home. If you buy local products and avoid Carrefoure, then living can be very cheap. 3 months tourist visa.
Thank you. Yes, I know and like Essaouira and it was one of the places I was considering. As well as the advantages you mention (in December the nights were cold, though), it's relatively central - more than Taroudant anyway), so it'd be easy to go over to Figuig to see the herds of camels, say, or across to the rif to get zonked, or up to Tangiers for a weekend of sultry passion.

On the other hand Essaouira's quite well known, and getting more so, and there might be more of an expat 'presence' there than I'd like.

I think the best thing would be for me to try to get a room in a cheap hotel, in Essaouira to start with, then perhaps in other places - Figuig, the rif, Taroudant, Tangiers, Salee, Azrou.. and take it as it goes. It should be possible to haggle a special rate, esp. considering it'll be off-season.

Another year, a flat may be better. These people let flats,etc in both Essaouira and Taroudant, but they look expensive. Aimed at foreign winter-let types like me, I suspect - IMMOBILIER TAROUDANT - Agence immobilière taroudant maroc

Here's Paul Bowles in the old days. He liked Taroudant too. I expect you know his Hundred Camels in the Courtyard. Have you seen the hotel where Jimi Hendrix and Cat Stevens crashed in Essaouira ?

Last edited by Sancho; Aug 13th 2016 at 12:33 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 2:08 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hôtel des Iles plus a couple of others, plus every other hotel, café, restaurant and bar according to their owners.

Just this month the expressway between Safi and El Jadida has opened (linking up with the one between El Jadida and Casa), making Casa - Essaouira a much better journey by car. Maybe also since you visited the expressway between Marrakech and Agadir is open, making Casa (and the northern-most part of the Atlantic coast) and Agadir (and from there south) driveable. Express trains soon, apparently, if you're in a hurry. But I kinda guess you're not...
Old Aug 29th 2016, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Hôtel des Iles plus a couple of others, plus every other hotel, café, restaurant and bar according to their owners.

Just this month the expressway between Safi and El Jadida has opened (linking up with the one between El Jadida and Casa), making Casa - Essaouira a much better journey by car. Maybe also since you visited the expressway between Marrakech and Agadir is open, making Casa (and the northern-most part of the Atlantic coast) and Agadir (and from there south) driveable. Express trains soon, apparently, if you're in a hurry. But I kinda guess you're not...
Thanks very much for all the useful up-to-date information. I'd have answered earlier, but I forgot to click the box and I didn't realise anyone had answered.

I thought Hendrix crashed in the Riad al Madina. In fact I went in for a beer for just that reason.

The news about the road south is interesting. Last time (four or five years ago) I drove down to Sidi Ifni and the road was pretty good all the way. It sounds as if it's even better now. I'm a bit apprehensive about the road inland, to Boudnib and Figuig. It was absolutely dreadful in 1973 (in November, after heavy rain), but it might have been improved now.

I was also hoping to go up north to see Salee (for the pirates) and Tangiers (to see where William Burroughs stayed), and then to get a bus into the rif, which I missed last time.