Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

AnneG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Originally Posted by Melpawlik
Hi

There are lots of cafes where you can sit and chat. There is also the pyramid where you can eat and drink and the kids can play.

It is very safe to walk about and we don't have special places to go. There is obviously an area where we are recommended not to walk about but it depends on the person. And it is a lot further away.

There are a few beaches which are really nice to visit. They are about a 30 min drive and it's perfectly safe to go there as well.

We have a guard at the house but it's more for show than anything. We have been here 2 years and had no problems at all at home or out and about.

The school my kids go to is very good and i would highly recommend it. It is from 1 year olds to 6 years olds and has been excellent. My kids only spoke English and they have them both loving school and speaking french. My friend did some school work with my eldest boy and says his level is higher than expected at his age in the french school. They also had my youngest out of nappies before she was 2.

It really is a nice place, the congolese are very friendly people.

Melanie
Hi there, I think you tried to pm me, since I don't have enough posts I haven't been able to access it. Hoping this will be my third post and I'll be able to see your message. Otherwise I may have to come back to you again. Thank you!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

RiceOwl09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, My name is Steven. I just recently graduated college in the U.S. and will be working in the Pointe Noire for Schlumberger in the fall. I was wondering if anyone could describe the banking situation in Pointe Noire to me? I have been trying to find out what international banks operate in the area and I haven't had any luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:27 am
Just Joined

alex6279 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Melpawlik
Hi

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner but i only just found this site.

I am interested to hear if any of you moved to Congo. I am from Aberdeen and I have been living here in Pointe Noire for almost 2 years. I really like it here.

It is safe. I have 2 young children and life here is very safe for them.

For ladies who speak English there is a ladies night every 2nd Wednesday of the month. We go to a restaurant and have a few drinks and a gossip. It's a good way of meeting new people.

Hope you made it to here and I hope it is going well.

Melanie
Hi Melanie,

My name is Alex, I am from Romania and recently I received an offer to work in procurement department for ENI in POINTE NOIRE. If i accept the offer I'll be there (sadly) alone for one year contract with 90 days rotation period.
I didn't have final interview yet but I am optimistic from this point of view so, till then, I am trying to find as much as possible about the living style and costs in that city.
First of all I would like to ask you if you have somehow any info about the accommodation for ENI personnel? They live in hotels or apartments? Think about the fact that I am 27 and first time working on a contract abroad and I think they will not give me a super luxury accommodation. Anyway at least I hope to have a hotel room or flat for myself and to be surrounded by expat’s.

The second question is about living costs out there concerning that food and accommodation is paid by the company. I think about some sports activities also and I kindly request to you if you can give me an estimation for monthly costs. I don’t need a precise figure just something more or less acceptable.

Is there any library to rent some books to read in my spare time?
I am planning to ask them for mobile wireless internet connection to have permanently connection home. What type of internet you use and how much it costs?

There are fitness clubs?

I have many many questions to ask you but I stop here for the moment.

Thank you in advance,
Alex
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Bongo In Congo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Hi Alex,

I am Phil, Melanie's husband, Mel is back in UK right now for a holiday with the kids, but I can answer a few of you're questions.

I know ENI have a few apartment complexes (I play football at one of them) they are mixture of 1,2 & 3 bedroom apartments and seem of good standard, but I am not sure if they use them for rotators or only live in ex pats.

I doubt very much if they would put you in a hotel for a year as hotels here are not cheap.

There is no library but once you get to know some the ex pats here, books are not a problem, as there are loads getting passed around.

I'm not sure about the cost of living as I have no idea what the cost of living is like in Romania, but if you want europen standard food, then shopping can be more expensive.

Internet is very expensive compared with europe, a 256 connection would cost a few hundred dollars a month, so make sure you get that written in your contract that ENI supply

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask any more as we have been here 2 1/2 years and are happy to help.

Cheers,

Phil

Resteraunts are much the same price as back in UK.

Alcohol & Cigarettes are cheap

As for fitness clubs, there are a few, but I am sure ENI will have something, they do seem to look after there poeple.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:20 am
Just Joined

alex6279 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Phil,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I will, for sure, put them this condition related with internet. I really don't know how a contract looks like Maybe we can keep in touch and, if everything goes well, I will discuss with you about my contract when I will have it in front. Actually I was called by a third party, an italian certification company called RINA. They work for ENI there.

Related with living costs, I was wondering if 1500 USD/ month is enough for a decent way of life....

Thanks,
Alex
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

natalija19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there some expats from serbia or bulgaria maybe greece from balkans anyway? Or all are from france,usa and uk?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Right now we have Scottish, French, American, English, Ethyopian, German, Italian, Canadian, Brazilian, Portugese & Irish, but that only accounts for the friends that my wife and I know and we do not know everybody here.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

natalija19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Just tell me at about how much money for food need one 4 members family (2 adults and 2 kids) incuding everything meat,vagetables,fruits...?
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Robpilot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
I am moving to Point Noire in September and would be really keen to meet some English speakers when I arrive (since I am not fluent at French). To introduce myself I am English, aged 31, and have also lived in places like San Diego, Botswana, Tanzania and Zanzibar (for the last 4 and a half years) and reckon that it is always the people that make a place... So I'd really appreciate an 'in' from anyone who would be so kind.
Also, I am trying to convince my girlfriend to join me in October, but it depends very much on careers - she is a Biologist. Does anyone have any contacts or suggestions for her, or do you think she would struggle to find anything in that industry.
Would really appreciate your help!
Rob
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Robpilot,

taking this totally off the 'Congo' topic but can''t resist asking: So what was it like living in Zanzibar?? What kind of work did/do you do that allowed you to stay there for 4 and a half years?

I know nothing about Congo , though I used to live in a country 'nearby' - long while back now. But thinking about your biologist girlfriend - did you meet her in Africa, was she working there and what kind of organization did she work for? Are there any non-profit orgs based in or near Point Noire that she could look into? Could she create/invent a job for herself within some aid or humanitarian organization - what field of biology is she in, what kind of work has she been doing in the past, and what use of her skills/experience could she potentially put them to in the context of where you'd be living?

Last edited by Black Sheep; Aug 5th 2009 at 1:42 am.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Zanzibar is great, but not for everyone. It is what you make of it and you can have a superb time here. I was a pilot here.

But thinking about your biologist girlfriend - did you meet her in Africa - yes in zanzibar

was she working there and what kind of organization did she work for? She did research for her Master's degree on sea irchins then came back and did voluntary work for an eco-tourist hotel.

Are there any non-profit orgs based in or near Point Noire that she could look into? No idea, I'm not there yet

Could she create/invent a job for herself within some aid or humanitarian organization - Doubt it. Not much experience and doesnt speak french

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comments.

Rob
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Robpilot
Zanzibar is great, but not for everyone. It is what you make of it and you can have a superb time here. I was a pilot here.
Nice you had an opportunity ,through your 'unusual' occupation, that most wouldn't ever have the chance at!

She did research for her Master's degree on sea irchins then came back and did voluntary work for an eco-tourist hotel.

Are there any non-profit orgs based in or near Point Noire that she could look into? No idea, I'm not there yet
Ah, but you don't have to be there to get that kind of information, that's where the internet comes into its own. A quick google search on 'NGO Pointe Noire" came up with:

http://www.help-primates.org/an/inde...C=0&DEST=10000

If you click on the topics on the lower right side of the screen (H.E.L.P. Project, Chimpanzees, Habitat, Act Together, Multimedia) there's quite a lot of information that should be of interest to a biologist.

Could she create/invent a job for herself within some aid or humanitarian organization - Doubt it. Not much experience and doesnt speak french
Re experience, well here's a good chance for her to GET some!

Re can't speak French, Le centre culturel francais de Pointe-Noire should be well able to advise re French language lessons. The centre of course has a French library, and shows French films weekly.

I guess in francophone countries like Congo, the French Cultural Centre takes the place of the Alliance Francaise - which is too bad, as the Alliance's French language courses are superbe.

Cheers
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delayed respose but just got back in country this morning, we were back in ABZ for a holiday.

Don't worry about not speaking French, I've been here 2 1/2 years and still can't hold a conversation (But my 6 year old can so he translates )

Let us know when you're coming down and we'll sort out a few beers.

As for jobs for the missus, sorry mate I've not a clue.

Cheers,

Phil
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Black Sheep, thanks again for your efforts. Josefine is in now in touch with HELP Congo. Not much chance of paid work but maybe something voluntary, let's see.
Phil, that would be great. I appreciate the gesture! Will get in touch closer to the time.
Rob
Old Sep 4th 2009, 7:30 am
Just Joined

ifzama is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Congo/Gabon?

Hello Everyone:
I've been thinking of where to move to after I lost my business due to the recession in the here in the US. I live in Virginia, USA.
I have been reading on Congo and Gabon, but would prefer Gabon based on what I have read so far.
I do not have a job, and want to find out if it is possible to fly into the country and look for a job. Have excellent French, (reading, speaking and writing) abilities.
Background is in International development and environmental law, with graduate degrees in both.
How difficult would it be to fly into Gabon for example, and land a job with some of the expat oil companies there?
Are there lots of foreign companies? How about teaching at the University there? I have looked online, but could not find email contacts with the University. Any expats teaching at the U?
How about starting a small business there? Is it very expensive to buy a car? How is public transportation?
I would really love to move to Gabon. Just fell in love with the place because of the small size. Unfortunately, troubles are begining b/c of the elections.
Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Isaac

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.