Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Old May 8th 2009, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Melpawlik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Hi Dianne

Sorry forgot a few things. There are classes for the kids. Gynastics on a Saturday morning. Also there is a new place open which is doing basketball, taekwondo. So there are a lot more activities starting up.

Melanie
Old May 25th 2009, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

natalija19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys me and my husbund have offer to move to pointe noire we are mixed cuple me serbian and he greek there he suposed to work in some oil comany something with security now l have some questions like do they have private hospitals there? (in a case we deacide to have another kid),do they have shoping centers?what kind of homes they have there and can l see them somewere on internet?what is the good money to live there for 4 members of fammily?thanksssssssssss
Old May 25th 2009, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

There are 2 main hospitals here. Both are good. You can get all the scans etc. There have been several woman pregnant here over the last 2 years. Some go home for the birth and a couple have stayed and gave birth here.

There are 3 supermarkets. They are quite well stocked most of the time. Most is French brands. Everything here is more expensive than in the UK. We try to stock up on things while we're home. Toys are expensive. There are no big shopping malls only little shops which are expensive. We stock up for birthdays and christmas when we go home.

House prices are quite expensive but it depends what your looking for. I don't think you can view house on the internet. There isnt actually much info on the net for Pointe Noire which is a shame. But i will go to the main housing agency and ask for you if they have an internet site and let you know.

I'm not sure what you mean by what is the good money for a family here but on average i would say our grocery bill is at least 3 times more than back home.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions please get in touch again.

Regards
Melanie
Old May 25th 2009, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot mel now l relly dont know how much cost life in UK becouze we live in greece where one normal salary is about 700 british pounds nothing!So my husband father is there in congo a lot of years and he offer to him job there as l said something in oil comany but with security and he said salary is about 6000 british pounds and this sounds a lot so we are not sure is this right or no and we know life there is expencive so if this is salary how much we need for cost of life there for home ....eaven if he told us as l remmember this costs comany is paying and we only food is this like ok salary or no?
Old May 30th 2009, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by natalija19
Thanks a lot mel now l relly dont know how much cost life in UK becouze we live in greece where one normal salary is about 700 british pounds nothing!So my husband father is there in congo a lot of years and he offer to him job there as l said something in oil comany but with security and he said salary is about 6000 british pounds and this sounds a lot so we are not sure is this right or no and we know life there is expencive so if this is salary how much we need for cost of life there for home ....eaven if he told us as l remmember this costs comany is paying and we only food is this like ok salary or no?
No answers
Old May 30th 2009, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Sorry i didn't reply sooner but i really don't know what to say. I am sure if your husband speaks to his father he can let him know if it's a good wage. I am sure he would only have your best interests at heart. We are from the UK and so i have nothing else to compare it to.

I am really sorry i can't help you more with that. But i am sure that your husbands dad will look after your best interest.

Melanie
Old May 30th 2009, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Thansk l dont know l simply cant belive in that salary it sounds too much but anyway for less l dont think so we will go there anyway we will see
Old May 30th 2009, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Anyway is this money that he told us sounds ok???
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Can u just tell me wich airllines are flying for congo?
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:18 am
Just Joined

Air France is the main flight. But i think you can now come by Air Gabon and also Air Morrock
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks Now l am affraid of air france after this accident hmmmmm So you people normaly walk on the street on a day? I guess they have some cafeteris where u can hang or no?I guess whites are liveing in some special areas or no? Do they have security?I have so many questions....
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi

There are lots of cafes where you can sit and chat. There is also the pyramid where you can eat and drink and the kids can play.

It is very safe to walk about and we don't have special places to go. There is obviously an area where we are recommended not to walk about but it depends on the person. And it is a lot further away.

There are a few beaches which are really nice to visit. They are about a 30 min drive and it's perfectly safe to go there as well.

We have a guard at the house but it's more for show than anything. We have been here 2 years and had no problems at all at home or out and about.

The school my kids go to is very good and i would highly recommend it. It is from 1 year olds to 6 years olds and has been excellent. My kids only spoke English and they have them both loving school and speaking french. My friend did some school work with my eldest boy and says his level is higher than expected at his age in the french school. They also had my youngest out of nappies before she was 2.

It really is a nice place, the congolese are very friendly people.

Melanie
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Mel thanks it helps me a lot that u replay to me l am little bit affreid to go there but we will see thanks again!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

AnneG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Melpawlik
Hi

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner but i only just found this site.

I am interested to hear if any of you moved to Congo. I am from Aberdeen and I have been living here in Pointe Noire for almost 2 years. I really like it here.

It is safe. I have 2 young children and life here is very safe for them.

For ladies who speak English there is a ladies night every 2nd Wednesday of the month. We go to a restaurant and have a few drinks and a gossip. It's a good way of meeting new people.

Hope you made it to here and I hope it is going well.

Melanie
Hi there

I am interested in contacting English speaking expats, especially the Ladies Group. Any help much appreciated.

Anne
Old Jun 4th 2009, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Bongo In Congo is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can say is Congo rules

Been here 2 1/2 years and love it, wife is happy, kids are happy, so my life is happy

Bongo
AKA Hubby of Mel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.