Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:30 am
Just Joined

asele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pointe Noire, Congo advice please?

Hello everyone,

We are offered a job in Congo, Pointe Noire. We are currently living in Port Gentil, Gabon since 2007-2008. We have an almost 2 year-old girl, born in our home country, but raised here.

From what I read on this thread for 9 pages, the life in Pointe Noire is very similiar to Port Gentil's. But a lot has changed from the time we first arrived here. We have more shops and supermarkets, the internet was a dial-up and now adsl is available, a new gym with an airco, a new private french shool, etc...

And so, I was wondering has anything changed ever since this thread has started? Security?

Also, after passing 4 years here, I wish somebody would tell me that my life would be so much easier if I would bring in shipment of our own personal stuff (children furniture, children toys, garden toys, proper bed linen, a lot of decorations to make ourselves feel more home, ENGLISH books, novels, hobbies stuff, anything really).

Now for Pointe-Noire, if it works out, we're allowed a huge container.

If any expat from Pointe-Noire is reading this, can you advise me what I should bring when coming for our possible post?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Mayday67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

I have been in Pointe Noire two times for two months. It is expensive, has very little "outside the job" activities, besides night bars and diners. For me adjusting to working hours was the hardest (it is split it two), you have lunch brake, takes you 20 minutes to reach house, have no time to cook decent meal and you barely see you child through week so that is the downsides for me.

Now I am asked to stay longer In PN, for 6m or year or more. Before I had no problem because my daughter was small and stayed in apartment with nanny, but now she is in school (7 years old) and the school in my country is very different from the one in Pointe Noire, or at least I believe is so. Through posts I found that the french school lycee charlemagne is the best. I need more information's regarding school opportunities in Pointe Noire, if any one can answer or provide assistance, it would be much appreciated:

My child does not speak french and very little english (it is second language in her school she just started to study it).
What is the daily/weekly schedule of school (when do they start, when do they finish, do they have meals in school)
What is the common curriculum of first grades in school?
What is the yearly schedule (spring summer winter brakes/holidays)?
How tolerant are they regrading children who do not speak french or english?
Do they have any extra activities they can do within school area (in her school back home she can chose between judo, taekwon do, violin, piano, football, basket ball, chess etc...).

And to finish it off with money, in you own personal opinion what would be and adequate wage for Training manager in offshore industry that would justify the moving in to Pointe Noire? I am heavily underpaid in my company, but I except that because it is mostly due to I am single mother and I sometimes refuse to take some projects that I can not perform because I have a small child that depend entirely on me ( I have no other family members to leave my daughter to). Almost every meeting I have with management starts with statement that my daughter is a burden. I know that at some level they have a point, they would like if I would be a gold getter and do everything for money 'cause if I have more money my daughter has more money and then she is happy, but my daughter likes me more then money and vice verse so the problem is here to stay.

Help me!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Mayday67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mayday67
Hi!

I have been in Pointe Noire two times for two months. It is expensive, has very little "outside the job" activities, besides night bars and diners. For me adjusting to working hours was the hardest (it is split it two), you have lunch brake, takes you 20 minutes to reach house, have no time to cook decent meal and you barely see you child through week so that is the downsides for me.

Now I am asked to stay longer In PN, for 6m or year or more. Before I had no problem because my daughter was small and stayed in apartment with nanny, but now she is in school (7 years old) and the school in my country is very different from the one in Pointe Noire, or at least I believe is so. Through posts I found that the french school lycee charlemagne is the best. I need more information's regarding school opportunities in Pointe Noire, if any one can answer or provide assistance, it would be much appreciated:

My child does not speak french and very little english (it is second language in her school she just started to study it).
What is the daily/weekly schedule of school (when do they start, when do they finish, do they have meals in school)
What is the common curriculum of first grades in school?
What is the yearly schedule (spring summer winter brakes/holidays)?
How tolerant are they regrading children who do not speak french or english?
Do they have any extra activities they can do within school area (in her school back home she can chose between judo, taekwon do, violin, piano, football, basket ball, chess etc...).

And to finish it off with money, in you own personal opinion what would be and adequate wage for Training manager in offshore industry that would justify the moving in to Pointe Noire? I am heavily underpaid in my company, but I except that because it is mostly due to I am single mother and I sometimes refuse to take some projects that I can not perform because I have a small child that depend entirely on me ( I have no other family members to leave my daughter to). Almost every meeting I have with management starts with statement that my daughter is a burden. I know that at some level they have a point, they would like if I would be a gold getter and do everything for money 'cause if I have more money my daughter has more money and then she is happy, but my daughter likes me more then money and vice verse so the problem is here to stay.

Help me!
found it, now I need to study it and translate on english http://translate.google.com/translat...lemagne.org%2F
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Russell Bell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everybody

I read a lot of your interesting stories on this website. I will live in PN for 18 months. I will go to PN in a few days...
I am a french guy (so sorry for the bad english :-() and i will work in a oil company.
I am 24 years old and i go alone in PN. I think this experiance can be very important for me on the one hand for the work and on the other hand for myself.
Moreover i think this experience could be a good moment for me to meet english speakers.
I want to improve my english but i know people speak french in Congo.
So my questions are:
- Is there a important english speaker community in PN?
- If someone want to meet me in PN for english/french disccussion..don't hesitate to join me on my email adress (SNIP) or here in the forum :-).

Thank you very much

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 9th 2012 at 2:56 pm. Reason: email addy removed to prevent you from getting spammed
Old Mar 9th 2012, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

P Als is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Russell Bell
Hello Everybody

I read a lot of your interesting stories on this website. I will live in PN for 18 months. I will go to PN in a few days...
I am a french guy (so sorry for the bad english :-() and i will work in a oil company.
I am 24 years old and i go alone in PN. I think this experiance can be very important for me on the one hand for the work and on the other hand for myself.
Moreover i think this experience could be a good moment for me to meet english speakers.
I want to improve my english but i know people speak french in Congo.
So my questions are:
- Is there a important english speaker community in PN?
- If someone want to meet me in PN for english/french disccussion..don't hesitate to join me on my email adress (SNIP) or here in the forum :-).

Thank you very much
How is it going for you Russel? i am planning to travel there soon inbox my skype plz
Old May 31st 2012, 4:30 am
Just Joined

alwaysmexico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pointe Noire, advice please?

Originally Posted by RhonaDavidson
Hi Melanie,

I too am from Aberdeen as is my husband Stuart and I'm presuming you are still in Pointe Noire. Stuart is on his way, as I speak, for a look see visit to Pointe Noire, we have been living in Atyrau, Kazakhstan for the past 2 years. I am hoping that you can tell me that PN is going to be a good move?

Looking at older posts I see that the shopping can be a bit of a challenge, that I'm now used to. Is there anything I should stock up on to bring with me should Stuart say the move is on?

We are in our very, very early 50's & have no children travelling with us. Are there many "mature" expats in PN, many of the questions are geared round schools & toddlers?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rhona.

Dear Rhona,

As I sit and read this forum looking for information about Pointe Noire, I see your name and read that you were in Atyrau. I realize that I was in Atyrau at the same time you were. If I remember correctly we lived in the same building Kulargershaik!

My husband has been offered a job in Pointe Noire and would like a current feeling on the place. Did you ever relocate to Pointe Noire? How did you like it or are liking it? Are there women's groups? What kinds of things do you do daily? I guess to wrap all questions up is how are you or how did you get along there? I will definitely appreciate your thoughts on this. We have no children traveling with us any longer I don't need to worry about schooling.

Simply the basics as you say health, safety, friends, groceries, internet, telephones, mobile phones, transport, leisure.......

Thanks Rhona

Dora (Mexico)
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:46 pm
lau
Just Joined

lau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cristi21us
hello alex.My name is Cristian and i am also go to Congo next month.I am a romanian too.I don't know if u are still in POint noire but i would like to talk with you about life in Congo.PLs,if you see this messaje,send me an email to <snipped - private e-mail addresses discouraged> k you
hello and salut!

I am laurentiu, I am Romanian too, and I have been living in Pointe Noire for about 2 weeks now. I want to find maybe other romanians living here. If you are still in pointe noire maybe we could arrange to meet. Have a nice day!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:49 pm
lau
Just Joined

lau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alex6279
Hi Melanie,

My name is Alex, I am from Romania and recently I received an offer to work in procurement department for ENI in POINTE NOIRE. If i accept the offer I'll be there (sadly) alone for one year contract with 90 days rotation period.
I didn't have final interview yet but I am optimistic from this point of view so, till then, I am trying to find as much as possible about the living style and costs in that city.
First of all I would like to ask you if you have somehow any info about the accommodation for ENI personnel? They live in hotels or apartments? Think about the fact that I am 27 and first time working on a contract abroad and I think they will not give me a super luxury accommodation. Anyway at least I hope to have a hotel room or flat for myself and to be surrounded by expat’s.

The second question is about living costs out there concerning that food and accommodation is paid by the company. I think about some sports activities also and I kindly request to you if you can give me an estimation for monthly costs. I don’t need a precise figure just something more or less acceptable.

Is there any library to rent some books to read in my spare time?
I am planning to ask them for mobile wireless internet connection to have permanently connection home. What type of internet you use and how much it costs?

There are fitness clubs?

I have many many questions to ask you but I stop here for the moment.

Thank you in advance,
Alex
heelo mate. just like cristi i am romanian, and I live in pointe noire at the moment. My name is Laurentiu. If you are still here maybe we could link up. Any other romanians living in pointe noire or looking for information about this place you can send me a private message!
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

fatima massicard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Congo Couple
Hello all, we are new to this and would very much appreciate any advice etc on relocating from UK to Congo.

I have been offered a transfer with an oil service company which i would like to accept. I have spent a month in Pointe Noire already so have a feel for it however my girlfriend has never been. we have been offered a trip out there so she can see it but would really like to know the experiences had by other English speaking expats there.

I dont think the security, crime etc situation is too bad as long as you are carefull but what is there as far as social and work activities for women?

I am 27 and she is 24, a health professional.

Many thanks.
Hi, I am based in Kinshasa, but my husband will be relocating to Point Noir in a few months. Would like to know what your experiences have been while there.

There has been some infos I picked up on Google, but still best to get infos from someone who has been.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:43 am
Just Joined

MarcandJo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

We are a British couple with a 2 year old daughter & I have a job offer from an oil company down in Pointe Noire. Obviously with any expat assignment we have done some internet based research, but it was very conforting to read the positive comments on the blog. We will be coming down for an orientation (minus daughter) next week, if anyone fancies meeting up please contact me.

Also, could anyone give me advice on malaria, what is the best method of prevention for a 2 year old? im concerned about this.

In addition, my wife is a doctor, does anyone know of any contacts in the medical profession who might be able to talk to her about the job situation down in Pointe Noire?

Cheers
M&J
Old Oct 8th 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

claude parfait is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
My name is claude, and i'm orginally from the congo, but left pointe noire when i was around 14 for france, then for london when i became an adult. I have been living in london for around 16 years, and worked in the city of london for the last 8 years. I'm now relocating to pointe noire for little while to start a project. I will be in pointe noire to renovate my parents hotel and restaurant. once there, i would like to be in touch with the british expats or community in pointe noire. My english girlfriend and i spend 3 weeks there in december 2011, and she absolutely loved the sun and the sea, and spend her time swimming in the pool at Twinga. So, I would like to be touch once in pointe noire with any british expats. So please let me know if anybody gets this message.

Many thanks
Claude Parfait
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

salma19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm visiting Pointe Noire next week before I move permanently. I'm allowed to bring 2 suitcases, which I can leave there. Any suggestions on what I should bring that I wouldn't be able to find in Pointe Noire?

Toilet paper, towels, glasses, linens, cordless phone, adapters?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

GM2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by salma19
Hi, I'm visiting Pointe Noire next week before I move permanently. I'm allowed to bring 2 suitcases, which I can leave there. Any suggestions on what I should bring that I wouldn't be able to find in Pointe Noire?

Toilet paper, towels, glasses, linens, cordless phone, adapters?
LOL you don't need all that, just make sure that you got what you need. Bring some mosquito repellent in case you decide to go picnic outside pointe noire. You will find whatever you want over there. Pointe Noire is quite expensive. But no worries about you have listed so far. Just bring what can be useful to you in hot country i.e summer clothes sunglasses of your choice brief you will find things quite expensive but as an expat, you shouldn't be worse off as expats are quite well paid. From hospital to school clubs foods you don't need to worry.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:17 am
Just Joined

TELA will become famous soon enoughTELA will become famous soon enough

Anyone have any pointers for work in PN or the region?

I'm in the aviation industry & speak French, know the continent well & have a goldlist of contacts particularly in W.Africa!

Any help or advice would be very welcome!

Thanks
Old Sep 17th 2013, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Kbean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pointe Noire, international schools vs. local schools

Hello All,

My family and I will be moving to Pointe Noire within the next couple of months. I have reached out to Lycée Charlemagne but they don't have any spaces left for this school year.

I imagine that the schools there are decent... But, as someone else has already mentioned, there are no internet sites for these other schools.

It would be ideal to send my two kids to an English-speaking school but I haven't seen too many wonderful things said about ISPN. My kids are bilingual English/French.

Anyway, I am getting pretty excited about the adventure! I'm sure it will be different but different is good and change is always good.

So, I am reaching out to you folks to see if you have any insight on schools there. And, if it is at all possible to enroll kids in public schools there mid - year?

Thanks a bunch!
Kimberly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.